The Student Room Group

A level psychology revision tips?

i got a D in A level psych so i’m going to re sit. before when i was revising i used flash cards, mind maps, past papers but clearly that didn’t work any ideas on what revision would be better?
Original post by elscha_bandito
i got a D in A level psych so i’m going to re sit. before when i was revising i used flash cards, mind maps, past papers but clearly that didn’t work any ideas on what revision would be better?

I have just given someone else the link to my flashcards which I achieved an A* with in Psychology on the 17th! Here’s the link to the thread

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7386630
(edited 8 months ago)

I made flashcards on Anki using both my revision guide(Not going to recommend, it was too vague/brief) and PMT notes, writing as little as I could whilst maintaining all detail. Then just keep using them as much as possible.

Obviously keep up past papers for exam practice imo, and try do every possible 16 marker if you can, given you've got a year. You can find these in many places, but on the spec you can quite easily map out every 16 marker.
Reply 3

I just recently received an A* on the 17th for psychology and I'm over the moon considering I was sitting on a c in year 12. Genuinely the only thing i did was make essay plans and swear by them, but for me most important part of the revision was mainly making the essay plans really in depth and mark scheme specific so that a couple weeks before the exam I just had to sit and memorise them. If you would like I can send you the link to my essay plans for each topic that i made.
Reply 5
Original post by hannahbananaaaa
I just recently received an A* on the 17th for psychology and I'm over the moon considering I was sitting on a c in year 12. Genuinely the only thing i did was make essay plans and swear by them, but for me most important part of the revision was mainly making the essay plans really in depth and mark scheme specific so that a couple weeks before the exam I just had to sit and memorise them. If you would like I can send you the link to my essay plans for each topic that i made.

hey i wonder if you would lend a helping hand to me...im currently in year 12 as well and i keep failing my mocks...this is actually pushing me to the edge because even the teacher were telling some of us to drop the subject;( but i dun wanna give up like this.. So im thinking about if i can have your essay plans as one of my preparation for next yr(im so nervous rn), thanks a lot!

If you would be able to send me the link too that would be so amazing! I know this was intended for the op but I need all the help I can get with psychology :') So please if you could!

i just kept repeating videos of the exam questions etc. over and over. In 2022 and 2023 I recited the mark schemes so i could get points in case I have the good points. Where were you weakest in?
Original post by yuliri_
hey i wonder if you would lend a helping hand to me...im currently in year 12 as well and i keep failing my mocks...this is actually pushing me to the edge because even the teacher were telling some of us to drop the subject;( but i dun wanna give up like this.. So im thinking about if i can have your essay plans as one of my preparation for next yr(im so nervous rn), thanks a lot!

I was such an unserious candidate in year 12 so I pretty much started fresh in year 13 with my revision so don't worry you can do it too!I did AQA psychology and these essay plans are very much tailored to AQA specifically and the markschemes too, I would really recommend highlighting key words in the essay plans because that really makes it clear to the examiner you know what you are talking about and I have found that examiners are more likely to give a higher score to those essays which are clearer and concise rather than full of waffle.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QtislR4QynqssLpGPHSsJjtvNSG_PTM2?usp=share_link
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
I was such an unserious candidate in year 12 so I pretty much started fresh in year 13 with my revision so don't worry you can do it too!I did AQA psychology and these essay plans are very much tailored to AQA specifically and the markschemes too, I would really recommend highlighting key words in the essay plans because that really makes it clear to the examiner you know what you are talking about and I have found that examiners are more likely to give a higher score to those essays which are clearer and concise rather than full of waffle.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QtislR4QynqssLpGPHSsJjtvNSG_PTM2?usp=share_link

thank you so much! I really do hope that i can make progresses this year. As you said, the examiners prefers concrete answers than waffling, i sometimes wonder if my essays are used to be too vague because of lack of revision(? May i also ask how did you manage ur time to revise since school could be very overwhelming, plus there should be other subjects for u?

Anyways i wish you all the best in the future after a levels! <3
Reply 10

Hii, I've just started year 13 and my year 12 predicted was a C :frown: I was wondering if you were able to also send me the link to your essay plans.
Original post by yuliri_
thank you so much! I really do hope that i can make progresses this year. As you said, the examiners prefers concrete answers than waffling, i sometimes wonder if my essays are used to be too vague because of lack of revision(? May i also ask how did you manage ur time to revise since school could be very overwhelming, plus there should be other subjects for u?

Anyways i wish you all the best in the future after a levels! <3

hiya, im so glad that I could give you some reassurance! I took biology and chemistry as my other subjects so I did find that balancing my time was so important. I think one of the main things that I did was create a plan on my notes app of my phone of what I wanted to do from now up until my next exam that would start months before the exam date came around so this will take a while for you to put together but that kind of acted as a guide for me as to what ideally I should be doing everyday and even if some days I didn't finish all the work I had set out to do that was okay because I would just make a notes of that and come back to it a later date. I think with psychology its one of those subjects that you definitely could have the possibility of over revising, if you start too early then you have the chance of forgetting all the revision that you did earlier in the year when it comes to the actual exam so what I recommend you do is start after mocks around march time just familiarising yourself with your plan of action. starting around here worked out perfectly for me because 3 months is more than enough time to memorise all of the essay plans. what I found was the most effective revision technique for me was to save the essay plans onto a word document and each day learn bout 4 essay plans off by heart. I did this by literally reading each line of the essay plan and then typing it over and over again and then adding the next line to it and typing the whole thing over and over again. Although a levels at some point will seem to take over your life I found that those who do best in a levels are not the naturally smart people but instead those who put their time into the subjects because at the end of the day a levels are more of a memory game more than anything else! hope that helped and good luck for year 13 you will smash this <3
Reply 12
hiya, im so glad that I could give you some reassurance! I took biology and chemistry as my other subjects so I did find that balancing my time was so important. I think one of the main things that I did was create a plan on my notes app of my phone of what I wanted to do from now up until my next exam that would start months before the exam date came around so this will take a while for you to put together but that kind of acted as a guide for me as to what ideally I should be doing everyday and even if some days I didn't finish all the work I had set out to do that was okay because I would just make a notes of that and come back to it a later date. I think with psychology its one of those subjects that you definitely could have the possibility of over revising, if you start too early then you have the chance of forgetting all the revision that you did earlier in the year when it comes to the actual exam so what I recommend you do is start after mocks around march time just familiarising yourself with your plan of action. starting around here worked out perfectly for me because 3 months is more than enough time to memorise all of the essay plans. what I found was the most effective revision technique for me was to save the essay plans onto a word document and each day learn bout 4 essay plans off by heart. I did this by literally reading each line of the essay plan and then typing it over and over again and then adding the next line to it and typing the whole thing over and over again. Although a levels at some point will seem to take over your life I found that those who do best in a levels are not the naturally smart people but instead those who put their time into the subjects because at the end of the day a levels are more of a memory game more than anything else! hope that helped and good luck for year 13 you will smash this <3

I see! Revisions are challenging TT and for me esp in psychology it has SOO MUCH memorising contents it broke my brain;(
btw i think i have sent you a request on the google drive abt the essay plans, woud u like to accept it if u dun mind me using it as part of my revisions?tks! xd
Reply 13
hi, its basically march now and i still havent started psychology revision :frown: i aim to achieve an A* but im not sure if 2 months is enough time for this, so how do you think i should use these 2 months to still achieve am A*? thank youuu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending