Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    7a was worded quiet awkwardly. I assumed that |W|=1, then as normal worked ot that y=x, i.e argument(Pi/4). How did you do the matrix question? I got k as 18, p as 3, a as 1, b as 4 and c as -1. The determinant with these values was zero though which doesn't seem right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    7a was worded quiet awkwardly. I assumed that |W|=1, then as normal worked ot that y=x, i.e argument(Pi/4). How did you do the matrix question? I got k as 18, p as 3, a as 1, b as 4 and c as -1. The determinant with these values was zero though which doesn't seem right.
    k was 18, p was 3 then simultaneous equations to get b^2 = 18, hence find a, b, c noting that a>0. The determinant clearly cantt be zero as M would be singular but M^-1 = 1/18 M^T so M is non-singular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Determinant is area/volume scaling factor so I don't think it should be negative as you can't have a negative area/volume
    its rite ... i got it 2 ... but they asked for the modulus of the det .... unless im forgetting sumthing important

p=3
    k=18
    a b c ... i dont remember which one was which ... but one was 2root2 root2 and -2root2 ...

i have a graphic calc and i chcek it useing the matrice funsction ...the answers work like a charm ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Determinant is area/volume scaling factor so I don't think it should be negative as you can't have a negative area/volume
    how about the determinant of -1I where I is the identity matrix?

ReputationRep:
    What answers you got for the first question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A2 student)
    remind me wat it was ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Is it like Integration where you have a given area that is under the x-axis, hence when you calculate this you need to ignore the -ve sign and take the number value as the actual area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    its rite ... i got it 2 ... but they asked for the modulus of the det .... unless im forgetting sumthing important

p=3
    k=18
    a b c ... i dont remember which one was which ... but one was 2root2 root2 and -2root2 ...

i have a graphic calc and i chcek it useing the matrice funsction ...the answers work like a charm ...
    2root2, -root2 and -2root2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Checkey)
    Is it like Integration where you have a given area that is under the x-axis, hence when you calculate this you need to ignore the -ve sign and take the number value as the actual area?
    it was given in the paper " | det M | "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    2root2, -root2 and -2root2
    possbly ...
    wait ... i think i still have the matric saved in my calc ... lemme take a look at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A2 student)
    26660?

ReputationRep:
    26660?
    tht was p4 mate

ReputationRep:
    how about the determinant of -1I where I is the identity matrix?
    Determinant is just 1 because it doesn't change the area/volume. I just got 54sqrt2 straight out anyway so it didn't affect me!!

ReputationRep:
    man the matrice is saved but its all in decimals in the calc ... im too lazy to do it again .. im jus happy skools over

ReputationRep:
    tht was p4 mate
    oh sorry

2.06 and 2.13

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry

2.06 and 2.13
    yup .. .hehe .. keep making me happy keisiuho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Determinant is just 1 because it doesn't change the area/volume. I just got 54sqrt2 straight out anyway so it didn't affect me!!
    isnt it (-1)x(-1)x(-1)=-1?

ReputationRep:
    I got something like that too

ReputationRep:
    yup .. .hehe .. keep making me happy keisiuho
    P4 again?

ReputationRep:
    no ... ur answers match mine ... i thought i did badly .. well i did .. but ill manage a 50 / 75

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.