The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
7a was worded quiet awkwardly. I assumed that |W|=1, then as normal worked ot that y=x, i.e argument(Pi/4). How did you do the matrix question? I got k as 18, p as 3, a as 1, b as 4 and c as -1. The determinant with these values was zero though which doesn't seem right.
7a was worded quiet awkwardly. I assumed that |W|=1, then as normal worked ot that y=x, i.e argument(Pi/4). How did you do the matrix question? I got k as 18, p as 3, a as 1, b as 4 and c as -1. The determinant with these values was zero though which doesn't seem right.

k was 18, p was 3 then simultaneous equations to get b^2 = 18, hence find a, b, c noting that a>0. The determinant clearly cantt be zero as M would be singular but M^-1 = 1/18 M^T so M is non-singular
Reply 22
Bezza
Determinant is area/volume scaling factor so I don't think it should be negative as you can't have a negative area/volume

its rite ... i got it 2 ... but they asked for the modulus of the det .... unless im forgetting sumthing important

p=3
k=18
a b c ... i dont remember which one was which ... but one was 2root2 root2 and -2root2 ...

i have a graphic calc and i chcek it useing the matrice funsction ...the answers work like a charm ...
Reply 23
Bezza
Determinant is area/volume scaling factor so I don't think it should be negative as you can't have a negative area/volume

how about the determinant of -1I where I is the identity matrix?
Reply 24
What answers you got for the first question?
Reply 25
A2 student

remind me wat it was ?
Reply 26
Bezza

Is it like Integration where you have a given area that is under the x-axis, hence when you calculate this you need to ignore the -ve sign and take the number value as the actual area?
Reply 27
infekt
its rite ... i got it 2 ... but they asked for the modulus of the det .... unless im forgetting sumthing important

p=3
k=18
a b c ... i dont remember which one was which ... but one was 2root2 root2 and -2root2 ...

i have a graphic calc and i chcek it useing the matrice funsction ...the answers work like a charm ...

2root2, -root2 and -2root2
Reply 28
Checkey
Is it like Integration where you have a given area that is under the x-axis, hence when you calculate this you need to ignore the -ve sign and take the number value as the actual area?

it was given in the paper " | det M | "
Reply 29
keisiuho
2root2, -root2 and -2root2

possbly ...
wait ... i think i still have the matric saved in my calc ... lemme take a look at it
Reply 30
A2 student

26660?
Reply 31
keisiuho
26660?

tht was p4 mate
Reply 32
keisiuho
how about the determinant of -1I where I is the identity matrix?

Determinant is just 1 because it doesn't change the area/volume. I just got 54sqrt2 straight out anyway so it didn't affect me!!
Reply 33
man the matrice is saved but its all in decimals in the calc ... im too lazy to do it again .. im jus happy skools over :smile:
Reply 34
infekt
tht was p4 mate

oh sorry

2.06 and 2.13
Reply 35
keisiuho
oh sorry

2.06 and 2.13

yup .. .hehe .. keep making me happy keisiuho :smile:
Reply 36
Bezza
Determinant is just 1 because it doesn't change the area/volume. I just got 54sqrt2 straight out anyway so it didn't affect me!!

isnt it (-1)x(-1)x(-1)=-1?
Reply 37
I got something like that too
Reply 38
infekt
yup .. .hehe .. keep making me happy keisiuho :smile:

P4 again?
Reply 39
no ... ur answers match mine :smile: ... i thought i did badly .. well i did .. but ill manage a 50 / 75

Latest