The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

I went to a wedding fayre tonight and had two glasses of champagne and my ocd has flared up something rotten. All I can think is I've been spiked even though I'd know it by now and crap like that. It's been a while since the poison contamination fears were high, lately it's been more magical thinking that anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today I spilt oil all over my only pair of trousers. I was fighting back tears. I keep crying at things really easily. I've gone from never expressing emotion to being overwhelmed with tears at least several times every day. The worst is when I keep crying at the national anthem before hockey games, wtf is that about? :confused:

Don't suppose anyone has tips for getting oil out? I've been dabbing it with washing up liquid but that doesn't seem to be working.

****ing weight, I have 1 pair of trousers and 1 pair of shorts. :frown:
has anyone been to the doctors at uni about your mental health? what's your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
has anyone been to the doctors at uni about your mental health? what's your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went when i was at uni. I would say if the first dr diesnt listen dont feel bad go see another dr.

I spoke to 1 dr about my paranoia and he dismissed it.
I went to go see another dr about my deoression and he was absolutely fantastic, took loads of time to help and support me and fully admitted he was just working to get me through uni not long term as that could have been dealt with once i got through. And it helped loads.

I then plucked up the courage a few years later to bring up my oaranoia with another dr and they were also amazing.
Some drs dont understand mental health aswell as other so my advice is to perservere until you are listened too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine have been fantastic with mine. They've kept an eye on me in rough patches (also reduced the amount of meds I was allowed access to - I got 14 day prescriptions and not 28 days) but when I've been doing really well mentally, they've allowed me just to get on with things and only see them every few months :smile:
@Sabertooth sorry no tips for oil :/ hope you're feeling better today x

--

The irony of being awake since 5am and yet STILL being late for 9am Seminar 😫 I really needed to be in this one too! I'm going to be so far behind on research project. My group is going to hate me because I've basically missed the first part and the hardest bit designing the thing. Also how can I write an report on a project I've never seen.
So I've noticed that when I'm sleep deprived my anxiety lessens with or without meds and I gain more confidence and ease.
I've not really done uni social stuff due to shyness.

Do you think it'd be a bad idea if I were not to sleep the night before I want to do something social like go out so that the over thinking part of my brain is shut down.
Sleep deprivation is really bad for your health; physical and mental. It increases the change of a cardiac event and psychosis

It would be better for you to look at how to challege and quieten your mind without risky mood altering states.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
So I've noticed that when I'm sleep deprived my anxiety lessens with or without meds and I gain more confidence and ease.

Do you think it'd be a bad idea if I were not to sleep the night before I want to do something social like go out so that the over thinking part of my brain is shut down.
Anyone got any tips for dealing with sedation for meds? I've been on my current combo for about 2 years but never really got over the sedation. It's been really bad recently and I've been waking up late and having to get taxis to placement as I just can't function early.

I saw my psychiatrist day and he agreed to reduce my Quetiapine from 400mg to 300mg. If that didn't work he said he would look at reducing some of my Depakote. I asked about going back on Aripiprazole but he wasn't so keen as I seem to be doing better on Quetiapine compared to when I was on Aripiprazole.
Original post by PandaWho
I went when i was at uni. I would say if the first dr diesnt listen dont feel bad go see another dr.

I spoke to 1 dr about my paranoia and he dismissed it.
I went to go see another dr about my deoression and he was absolutely fantastic, took loads of time to help and support me and fully admitted he was just working to get me through uni not long term as that could have been dealt with once i got through. And it helped loads.

I then plucked up the courage a few years later to bring up my oaranoia with another dr and they were also amazing.
Some drs dont understand mental health aswell as other so my advice is to perservere until you are listened too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad things worked out for you :smile: i'm thinking of seeing the doctors at my university for depression, but i'm not sure if theyll be any good. I was told by one of my friends that someone had gone in to the doctors at my uni for their cold, and it turned out they werent that helpful so im worried it will be the same for me :/

Original post by Deyesy
Mine have been fantastic with mine. They've kept an eye on me in rough patches (also reduced the amount of meds I was allowed access to - I got 14 day prescriptions and not 28 days) but when I've been doing really well mentally, they've allowed me just to get on with things and only see them every few months :smile:

that's great! :smile: hopefully the doctors at my uni will be good too :s-smilie:
Original post by bullettheory
Anyone got any tips for dealing with sedation for meds? I've been on my current combo for about 2 years but never really got over the sedation. It's been really bad recently and I've been waking up late and having to get taxis to placement as I just can't function early.

I saw my psychiatrist day and he agreed to reduce my Quetiapine from 400mg to 300mg. If that didn't work he said he would look at reducing some of my Depakote. I asked about going back on Aripiprazole but he wasn't so keen as I seem to be doing better on Quetiapine compared to when I was on Aripiprazole.

Yeah, quetiapine is a killer for sedation. I don't know if this will help you, but what I did was take it earlier at night. I take it at around 7pm which is good for getting me off to sleep a few hours later but with less sedation in the morning. I can actually get out of bed now! :tongue:
Haven't posted here for ages, hope everyone's bobbing along :hugs:

Currently doing a 0/10 job of proving to myself I'm well enough to be at uni.
I'm glad things worked out for you :smile: i'm thinking of seeing the doctors at my university for depression, but i'm not sure if theyll be any good. I was told by one of my friends that someone had gone in to the doctors at my uni for their cold, and it turned out they werent that helpful so im worried it will be the same for me :/

that's great! :smile: hopefully the doctors at my uni will be good too :s-smilie:

No offense but what did that person think a doctor would do about a cold? It can't be treated with antibiotics just rest and OTC cold remedies.

I saw a doctor in my first year at university about depression and she told me it was "teenage hormones" (at 19). My girlfriend at the time told me to push for help so I saw another doctor who diagnosed severe depression and immediately started me on antidepressants.
@Sabertooth have you tried vitamin B? I use that whenever my meds make me drowsy. Check with dr obv for interactions but that could be an alternative
Original post by ~Tara~
@Sabertooth have you tried vitamin B? I use that whenever my meds make me drowsy. Check with dr obv for interactions but that could be an alternative

I haven't tried it. I've never taken any vitamins. Any vitamin B in particular?

I actually have an app on my phone which checks interactions (it's part of my uni course).
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane

I did this on and off for a few years while I was in school. It was honestly such an awful decision. I got health problems because of it, and it was difficult to correct. I saw my doctor and he said some of my problems he'd never seen in people below the age of 50. It sounds like a good idea in theory and at the time, but it's not worth it. The best thing you can do is try and continue down the regular routes of treatment
Today, me and Callan brought our wedding forward to July next year instead of our 10th anniversary. Both happy and excited and nervous about it :teehee: My papa and stepdad's health lately has put things into perspective and that having a big wedding isn't what matters, its about being with the person you love and being surrounded by those you care about.

Good news aside, my panic attacks have been hellish lately. I feel zoned out so much of the time these days and every muscle in my body aches like I have been battered.

Ngl i agree with saber the drs can do naff all for a cold so its a complete waste of the drs time so no wonder they were a bit miffed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing CCO tomorrow. Worried if I tell her that my housemates are spies and put recording devices in my room and thoughts in my head that aren't mine (bad things, but won't act on them as they're not my thoughts) that she'll get me sectioned. But then I hate not having anyone IRL to talk to about this stuff so I'm conflicted.

Oh and, when asked 'are you safe?' does this mean safe from yourself? Because I am safe from myself, but I'm worried about others hurting me. So no, I don't feel safe.
How does anyone cope with feeling dead inside? It had got a bit better/less intense for a while but come back with a vengeance these last couple of weeks and really getting to me. I swear absolutely anything could happen and I'd barely even notice. This weekend should have been amazing but I just sat there thinking about really bad stuff for whole chunks of it. Hate it.

:hugs: anyone that needs them. Also a very late happy birthday to @The_Lonely_Goatherd and :wavey: to @Anon #2- am around if either of you want to talk

Latest