The Student Room Group

Should I do A2 General Studies instead of AS?

Ok, so basically I messed up. Having accepted an Unconditional offer to South Wales I dropped my A2 General Studies to AS, thinking obviously that the course was entirely irrelevant - not so. I'm hoping to get an Excellence Scholarship (effectively £2000 free), which requires ABB at least at A-Level, but I'm currently on a C/B border in Photography and my teacher says that while she hopes I'll get a B she can't be sure because of grade boundaries. This is where General Studies comes in; I emailed the University and they said that an A level in General Studies is considered for the scholarship. So now I'm in a predicament of taking a gamble with Photography or taking on the A2 General instead of the AS, though that conjures up several problems. While I can handle an extra two exams, the late entry fee is over £65, I haven't had a class on what the A2 exam entails and as a result I have no idea what will come up on the paper and how to tackle it. Is it an easy exam? What will I need to do? And how likely am I to get a B (my English is relatively good but I have zero common sense)? Please help! I'm so unsure of what to do, it's such a big decision and I feel sick. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Don't do it! Often, the chances of getting a scholarship are pretty low (Even if they say they give it to everyone) and it's not worth doing extra exams just for a small chance of a scholarship. Besides, A lot of university's don't look at general studies the same way as other A levels (Again, even if they say they do). You'll be better off putting time and effort into your other subjects!
Ahh ok, thank you for the reply! Did you take General Studies A2, and if so how did you find it? Do you think it's easy to get a B?
Everyone at my college took it! It was basically 4 extra exams for a qualification most university's discard. I got a low B but then again, I didn't revise for it! If you really want to, I think it should be fairly easy to get at least a B.

Quick Reply

Latest