The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by appliedforbio
Dear LMH,

A slightly odd question - but do you know of anyone who has applied to the University 3 times and been successful on the third application?

Not personally aware of anybody who has, sorry :colondollar: But we certainly have loads of people who reapply and are successful :h:
Thanks LMH, I suppose my question actually was, do you think that tutors look unfavourably on people who are applying two years after finishing their A-Levels if they dropped out of the course they were previously on because they were not enjoying it? Or is everyone treated in the same way?

(My son is at Imperial but hates it there and is considering his options)
hey sorry to be a pain I dont want to keep asking questions but does the Maths and statistics course accept additional further maths as one of the 3 A levels. I ask because Warwick said they do not, on your admissions Q and A one of the questions you put is Should I do additional further maths?

To which you state it is better to do Steps rather then focus on an additional further Maths.

The reason i ask is I am planning to do Physics next year because one university has already informed me they don't accept additional further maths, and I have feeling they wont be the only ones that say that. However if additional further Maths can count as one of the A levels then any offer I get from oxford would basically be unconditional.

I say that because I would not bother applying without a strong performance on the A level maths and further maths exams and the way Edexcel works is modules can be pulled across all three. So if I already have A*A* the third A/A* would be easy to secure. I would be doing additional further maths anyway because at least some universities will accept it and that gives me my beloved security blanket. I am already planning on doing 14 modules this year as I cant stay away from statistics so it would be silly not to secure the third A level their.

However if you accept additional further maths and make me an offer it may be more strategic preparation to not focus on Physics but instead focus on Steps and maybe try reading ahead a little bit to get a head start. Or maybe Physics is better preparation I am not to sure.

if you accept additional further maths as one of the A levels then would doing Physics increase my chances or not?

Finally if this is my second degree do I have to pay College fees on top of tuition fees or any other extras? I know Cambridge charge college fees on top but could not find this information about yourself.

sorry for asking to many questions.
Reply 383
Hello LMH,

I was wondering if you could tell me about how many AP exams with grades of 5's do successful American applicants usually have? I know the entry requirements say at least 3, but how many makes a really competitive application?

I'm set to have 6 by the time I finish high school, but am debating on whether or not self-studying a few more might be beneficial.

Thank you!
@LMH OXFORD I've heard from a member here that as long as you meet the minimum entry requirement for A2 grades as a post-qualification applicant, exceeding the minimum doesn't make an application more competitive for Oxford. It seems a bit erroneous but is this true?

(Obviously, I will do my best to get the absolute top grades, but at the moment A*AA/AAA is more realistic than say A*A*A which is why I ask)
Original post by auburnstar
@LMH OXFORD I've heard from a member here that as long as you meet the minimum entry requirement for A2 grades as a post-qualification applicant, exceeding the minimum doesn't make an application more competitive for Oxford. It seems a bit erroneous but is this true?

(Obviously, I will do my best to get the absolute top grades, but at the moment A*AA/AAA is more realistic than say A*A*A which is why I ask)

Hello! There are many parts of an application and we only require you to acheive the minimum; academic achievement plays a part, but more importantly (as long you meet the requirements) is how you demonstrate enthusiasm and suitability for your course and our teaching system across the personal statement/interview etc. This is what will make you stand out :smile:
Original post by appliedforbio
Thanks LMH, I suppose my question actually was, do you think that tutors look unfavourably on people who are applying two years after finishing their A-Levels if they dropped out of the course they were previously on because they were not enjoying it? Or is everyone treated in the same way?

(My son is at Imperial but hates it there and is considering his options)

Hello. So sorry for not being able to give a definitive answer, but this would depend on the tutor looking at the application, and the applicant, and any mitigating circumstances.

Which subject is it he would like to apply to? Perhaps he could attend an Open Day - you are able to talk to tutors directly (we have a 'ask the tutor drop-in session' for example) and this might be a good way to find out their views. Please do let me know if so, and I can send you more details.
Reply 387
No admissions feedback from LMH, 8 weeks after requesting it, in spite of 2 reminders. Every time I am told it will be there in a couple of weeks. How long do I have to wait LMH? All other colleges seem to have sent their feedbacks.
Original post by UJS
No admissions feedback from LMH, 8 weeks after requesting it, in spite of 2 reminders. Every time I am told it will be there in a couple of weeks. How long do I have to wait LMH? All other colleges seem to have sent their feedbacks.

Hi @UJS - I am so sorry to hear this. I do not deal with admissions, but could you PM me your name please and I can head over and look into it?
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Not personally aware of anybody who has, sorry :colondollar: But we certainly have loads of people who reapply and are successful :h:

We know of one instance of a 3rd time applicant succeeding - but it is only one instance in six years of experience.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We know of one instance of a 3rd time applicant succeeding - but it is only one instance in six years of experience.

Brasenose Admissions

Always an exception haha xD

Just anecdotally, is there a fair amount of 2nd-time applicants who are successful? Because academic record could change quite a bit between AS and attained grades for example whereas obviously a 3rd-time applicant has the same profile as the year before (hence probably why only one has been successful in 6 years).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm

Brasenose Admissions

thanks @BrasenoseAdm :smile:
Original post by auburnstar
Always an exception haha xD

Just anecdotally, is there a fair amount of 2nd-time applicants who are successful? Because academic record could change quite a bit between AS and attained grades for example whereas obviously a 3rd-time applicant has the same profile as the year before (hence probably why only one has been successful in 6 years).

Hey again @auburnstar! :biggrin:

Definitely more common (anecdotally) - when I was a student 3 of 10 on my English course in my college had reapplied, and that's the case with some of the ambassadors I work with, too - in this instance students are always well advised to apply to a different college, though - and to ask for feedback from the first.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 393
Dear LMH,

I've had this as well. Been told repeatedly the feedback would come soon (Biological Sciences).
Original post by bio2018
Dear LMH,

I've had this as well. Been told repeatedly the feedback would come soon (Biological Sciences).

Hi there - really sorry you've been having trouble here. Again, if you could PM me your name/subject applied for, I can look into this for you.
Hi LMH,

I am thinking of applying for Chemistry and am currently doing four A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry). I was just wondering whether the fact I'm doing 4 A levels would change the standard offer at all, and if so what would that be. Also, whether the offer would be for all 4 subjects or just 3 of them, and if so would they need to be in certain ones out of the four?
Thanks in advance
Original post by chemistryguy123
Hi LMH,

I am thinking of applying for Chemistry and am currently doing four A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry). I was just wondering whether the fact I'm doing 4 A levels would change the standard offer at all, and if so what would that be. Also, whether the offer would be for all 4 subjects or just 3 of them, and if so would they need to be in certain ones out of the four?
Thanks in advance

Hi @chemistryguy123 :smile: Offers will be made for 3 of your 4 A levels; for Chemistry (A*A*A), both A*s would need to be in science subjects and/or Mathematics - so in your instance the a*s could be in any of the subjects you are currently studying, as could the A. Hope that helps but do let me know if you have any more questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 397
Hi LMH,
I have received an offer to study engineering at another Oxford college, met the conditions and sent my results (the ToA has verified that they have arrived when I called him). When should I expect my offer to be confirmed (I have chosen oxford as my firm choice)?
Thank you very much
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 27Itsme
Hi LMH,
I have received an offer to study engineering at another Oxford college, met the conditions and sent my results (the ToA has verified that they have arrived when I called him). When should I expect my offer to be confirmed (I have chosen oxford as my firm choice)?
Thank you very much

Hello @27Itsme - congratulations on meeting your conditions! :smile: Did the College say that they have updated Track? Perhaps they have, but it hasn't shown their decision yet because of a delay? It might be worth waiting around 24 hours and, if not, double checking with the College, and then with UCAS?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 399
Hello LMH,

I was just wondering if you could tell me how Oxford colleges feel about receiving applications from students who are already in a course at another UK university. I was reading the university website's policy on this and read that my current university would need to "release" me and that it's preferable that my reference come from a member of staff at my current university however, this will be a bit difficult as I will only have known them for a few weeks. Also, how successful do applicants from other universities tend to be?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending