The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why can't you change schools...
Reply 21
Well, they might not want to change schools for a number of reasons! To the OP, try and discuss with the person who made this stupid chart and see if you can get to study Maths and Music. If you're the only one wanting to take music, and you don't want to do ICT, surely it could be arranged that you do music in the ICT slot? If the teachers are being completely unreasonable with you, get the parents in. If no luck after that, or you do get your way but it's made hard for you, I'd seriously consider telling them to piss off and going to another sixth form.

You really need to want to study each A Level and enjoy it, which is unlikely if you've been made to choose in such a way.
Those options actually wouldn't be too bad for me because I'd still be able to do 3 of the subjects I chose- history, English lit and French- but I'd have to do ICT instead of sociology, which would be a bit annoying. I agree that they're ridiculous though. At my sixth form, we just wrote down what subjects they wanted to do and a timetable was drawn up to accommodate as many people as possible. Anyway, if you don't want to change schools, some arguments for not doing ICT could be that no other school or college makes it compulsory, it's a lot of work because it's so coursework based, it doesn't interest you, it's not relevant to what you want to do in the future, unis see it as a soft subject and because you're the only one who wants to do music, it could be moved into the same block as ICT so you could do maths. If you don't have any luck, see if your parents do.
Reply 23
kellywood_5
Those options actually wouldn't be too bad for me because I'd still be able to do 3 of the subjects I chose- history, English lit and French- but I'd have to do ICT instead of sociology, which would be a bit annoying. I agree that they're ridiculous though. At my sixth form, we just wrote down what subjects they wanted to do and a timetable was drawn up to accommodate as many people as possible. Anyway, if you don't want to change schools, some arguments for not doing ICT could be that no other school or college makes it compulsory, it's a lot of work because it's so coursework based, it doesn't interest you, it's not relevant to what you want to do in the future, unis see it as a soft subject and because you're the only one who wants to do music, it could be moved into the same block as ICT so you could do maths. If you don't have any luck, see if your parents do.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm gonna say :smile:

Thanks for all your advice guys :biggrin:

Latest