The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men Analysis

On page 23 it says "A dove's wings whistled over the water." Why is the dove mentioned? What is it's significance to the novella?
Reply 1
Probably something to show peace, calm etc. I haven't read the book for 3 years so I could be wrong but this is usually the kind of thing GCSE English Literature expects.
Reply 2
Steinbeck has this tendency to drift to natural imagery and in comparison makes it look a beautiful coexistence in comparison to the humans. However, by the end even in nature by the end there is death - the heron eats the water snake gliding beautifully. Maybe highlighting that how Steinbeck felt there was no hope for people in society - even George and Lennie were meant to use each other to survive and achieve the dream
Reply 3
I would try comment on the phonics of the quote as well. Try sounding our the sentence and you see that there aren't any "harsh" phonics like "Kill" "Collide". You'd know when something sounds heavy. So as the person said above you always need to start with something basic. I used to follow a formula but it makes the whole piece robotic - (PEE). What I would do is say "Dove" represents peace.. Blah blah blah - This could relate to the characters action here and it expresses here. This is reinforced in the envionment here. Then you comment on WHY did the Steinbeck say these words? What's the point? What is he trying to provoke out of the reader? Always return to this sentence. After I have established the point I can say that "This is reinforced by the phonics". My English always say to go further beyond. Examiners expect the basic PEE paragraphs but if you go further beyond and just think outside the box and sort of "surprise" them within narrow limits you'll automatically be hitting the A/A* Boundary guaranteed.

I got an a* by the way.
Original post by Jakir
Steinbeck has this tendency to drift to natural imagery and in comparison makes it look a beautiful coexistence in comparison to the humans. However, by the end even in nature by the end there is death - the heron eats the water snake gliding beautifully. Maybe highlighting that how Steinbeck felt there was no hope for people in society - even George and Lennie were meant to use each other to survive and achieve the dream

Ahh thank-youu! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending