The Student Room Group

Volunteer work

Hi,

I am currently at the start of the gap year; I want to study human geography at university. I am thinking of undertaking volunteer work for two main reasons, to make my personnel statement stand out from others and to give something back.
Would a specific type of volunteer work be more suited for Geography, if so what? Or does it not really matter what type of work it is as long as u show that you have done some of this type of work?

Thanks
Conservation work would be good as it shows you care about the environment, which affects people etc. Or working at Oxfam or something, as you can say you did it because of the plight of the developing countries etc. You could also get involved somehow with Fair Trade.
Reply 2
fivebyfive
Hi,

I am currently at the start of the gap year; I want to study human geography at university. I am thinking of undertaking volunteer work for two main reasons, to make my personnel statement stand out from others and to give something back.
Would a specific type of volunteer work be more suited for Geography, if so what? Or does it not really matter what type of work it is as long as u show that you have done some of this type of work?

Thanks
check out the millenium volunteers - a great place to find out what is available in your locality.

MV is government run, i think the web addie is www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk if it's not a google should bring it up :smile:

Fx
Reply 3
Contact you're local wildlife trust. I did and I ended up working for a couple of hours every Saturday doing conservation work at a wildlife trust really near me. There's a bit about it here http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

Also, someone mentioned earlier about the millenium volunteer thing - doing conservation work for your local wildlife trust will also count towards it.

:biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm volenteering at my local council for work experience to put on my PS...they said they would give me a planning project to work on and stuff...so yeah, maybe councils are a good place for work exp?
-xsarahx-
I'm volenteering at my local council for work experience to put on my PS...they said they would give me a planning project to work on and stuff...so yeah, maybe councils are a good place for work exp?

I was thinking of doing some work experience at the council but do you think it is too late to arrange it now??

Latest

Trending

Trending