The Student Room Group

Suggestions for work experience + volunteering needed

Hi, I’m going into year 12 next year and really need some suggestions of work, volunteering, essay competitions etc. that would be useful for applying for a scholarship for a degree at the University of Athens to study Archeology, History and Literature of Ancient Greece. The A-Levels I will be taking are Classics, French and Spanish and the scholarship requires good knowledge of languages so things relating to languages, archeology, and classics and that are located in North Yorkshire would be ideal.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Have a quick google for your local archaeological unit! Mine was running small volunteer digs, especially through the summer, which are usually free and really good to put on an application! If not they will likely run lectures or community gatherings - every little helps when you are trying to get your foot in the door :smile: I'm currently doing my masters in Archaeology - please don't be afraid to ask any questions!!
Reply 2
Original post by hrusse2
Have a quick google for your local archaeological unit! Mine was running small volunteer digs, especially through the summer, which are usually free and really good to put on an application! If not they will likely run lectures or community gatherings - every little helps when you are trying to get your foot in the door :smile: I'm currently doing my masters in Archaeology - please don't be afraid to ask any questions!!

Thank you! I’ve had a little look but unfortunately you have to be over 18 to volunteer in the digs 😢however I will contact them and see if they do anything else.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lilybaxter
Thank you! I’ve had a little look but unfortunately you have to be over 18 to volunteer in the digs 😢however I will contact them and see if they do anything else.

Hmmm perhaps have a look at smaller museums around where you are? Local museums will often take volunteers to help in the front of house.

When I applied they spent a lot of time asking about my reading, so perhaps find some books that you are super interested in and make notes so you don't forget! There is also always the EPQ in a relevant topic.

You could also ask within your school if you could help out as a language tutor for younger years, or an in class helper if you have free periods?

Also, it is important not to stress too much about this, especially right now! You have so much time yet and starting year 12 will provide you with more work than you have had before. Make sure that you still have time for yourself and that you don't burn out!
Reply 4
Original post by hrusse2
Hmmm perhaps have a look at smaller museums around where you are? Local museums will often take volunteers to help in the front of house.

When I applied they spent a lot of time asking about my reading, so perhaps find some books that you are super interested in and make notes so you don't forget! There is also always the EPQ in a relevant topic.

You could also ask within your school if you could help out as a language tutor for younger years, or an in class helper if you have free periods?

Also, it is important not to stress too much about this, especially right now! You have so much time yet and starting year 12 will provide you with more work than you have had before. Make sure that you still have time for yourself and that you don't burn out!

Thank you! There’s a Roman museum near me which I’ve emailed and the tutoring thing sounds like a really good idea!
Reply 5
Thank you! There’s a Roman museum near me which I’ve emailed and the tutoring thing sounds like a really good idea!

Best of luck! Please reach out if there are any other questions you have!!
Reply 6
Original post by hrusse2

Hi again! I was just wondering if you had any reading suggestions to do with archeology/ancient history? Thanks 😊
Reply 7
Hi again! I was just wondering if you had any reading suggestions to do with archeology/ancient history? Thanks 😊

Yeah no worries at all!

Ancient History (Fiction)
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Circe by Madeline Miller

Ancient History (Non-Fiction)
- Feminine Power: Divine to Demonic by Belinda Crerar
- The Vikings by Neil Oliver
- Sapiens by Yuval Harari

Archaeology (Non-Fiction)
- Homo Britannicus by Chris Stringer
- Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie

Documentaries also work, or if you have any specific research interests I would recommend searching it into Google Scholar because it will pop up with anything academic related to it! Or if you let me know specific interests I can source some reading for you from my archaeology/history friends!
Hi, I’m going into year 12 next year and really need some suggestions of work, volunteering, essay competitions etc. that would be useful for applying for a scholarship for a degree at the University of Athens to study Archeology, History and Literature of Ancient Greece. The A-Levels I will be taking are Classics, French and Spanish and the scholarship requires good knowledge of languages so things relating to languages, archeology, and classics and that are located in North Yorkshire would be ideal.

Hello!
As an archaeology student at Durham, I think I may be able to help :smile:
If you're looking for volunteering opportunities, specifically Archaeology related ones, I know English Heritage is recruiting volunteers to work at some of the heritage sites (Basically assist visitors and give tours/talks).

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/support-us/Volunteer/

You can enter whereabouts you'd like to volunteer and there should be a list of volunteering opportunities in your area, and they run induction/training sessions to help you get started and you also get a uniform and other benefits.

If you're interested in joining archaeology digs, I'm believe Digventures is the place to go. They have multiple digs all year and in different parts of England and I do believe there is a dig in North Yorkshire.
https://digventures.com/

You can also look at the council for British Archaeology, National Trust and Historic England as they do have volunteering opportunities and other archaeology related things going on.
https://www.archaeologyuk.org/
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/support-us/volunteer
https://historicengland.org.uk/about/volunteering/

I wish you the best of look and I hope this information helps!

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending