The Student Room Group

How do you gain medicine work experience and what are some examples?

Hey,
I'm currently a fresh year 12 student( well it's been over a month now). I'm starting to think about what i would like to do after school. It was between medicine, dentistry and economics but i've decided on medicine.

My question is:
- what are examples of work experience and volunteering people have done?
- What are some virtual work experience i can do
- Please be honest how is it being a medical student ?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by paracqilo
Hey,
I'm currently a fresh year 12 student( well it's been over a month now). I'm starting to think about what i would like to do after school. It was between medicine, dentistry and economics but i've decided on medicine.

My question is:

i'm a year 13 student applying:
- personally, i volunteer at a primary school (have been doing since start of y12), but many people do care home, hospital or hospice volunteering. for work experience, my local hospital has a work experience programme so i've applied for the maxfax department and will do that in november, but you probably shouldn't leave it this late like me! you could also ask gp practices.
- bsms virtual work experience and observe gp
Reply 2
Original post by reubenn05
i'm a year 13 student applying:
- personally, i volunteer at a primary school (have been doing since start of y12), but many people do care home, hospital or hospice volunteering. for work experience, my local hospital has a work experience programme so i've applied for the maxfax department and will do that in november, but you probably shouldn't leave it this late like me! you could also ask gp practices.
- bsms virtual work experience and observe gp

Thank you so much
Reply 3
Original post by paracqilo
Hey,

My question is:

HI

I cant really provide help w the third question as im a prospective y13 med applicant

But for the other 2:
I personally did volunteering at a charity shop and hospital. For hospitals, I’d suggest applying now as the process itself is quite long I applied in dec but could only start in June due to the DBS checks wait and training. I also initially applied for hospice volunteering as I wanted an experience into palliative care since it was my interest at the time but unfortunately got rejected due to the long waiting list for volunteering.

For wex, I’d suggest calling, checking websites and emailing - possibly going to hospitals and gps as thats what I had to do. And dont restrict urself to local gps or hospitals as very few actually offer shadowing placements.

For virtual wex, u could do Brighton & sussex medical school online wex or medic mentors wex (both are free) - those two were the ones I did in y10/11. Ive heard of observe gp too but I think thats paid.

If unfortunately ur unable to find wex u could possibly shadow in pharmacies, care homes and hospices.

I hope that was helpful and if u have any further questions pls dont hesitate to ask!

Good luck for ur application journey
YOU GOT THIS!!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending