The Student Room Group

Will people who copied Mr Bruff get marked down?

Hi, just a quick post here.
Last night Mr Bruff uploaded his prediction in the form of an A* analysis of To His Coy Mistress and In Paris With You. It got about 10,000 views last night- quite a lot tbf, and many people I know and that have commented on the video used his exact analysis in their exam.
Do you think people who did this will get marked as if they wrote the essay and came up with the points? Do you think the examiner will realise when they get 5000 essays saying exactly the same thing? I'm worried as I don't want the grade boundaries to go up with a few thousand people (who aren't really a* students) achieving band 6 answers.
Reply 1
lol I hope the grade boundaries are super high
Original post by mayacarswell
Last night Mr Bruff uploaded his prediction in the form of an A* analysis of To His Coy Mistress and In Paris With You. It got about 10,000 views last night- quite a lot tbf, and many people I know and that have commented on the video used his exact analysis in their exam.
Do you think people who did this will get marked as if they wrote the essay and came up with the points? Do you think the examiner will realise when they get 5000 essays saying exactly the same thing? I'm worried as I don't want the grade boundaries to go up with a few thousand people (who aren't really a* students) achieving band 6 answers.

did you copy it word for word???????
Original post by ihatehannah
did you copy it word for word???????

I didn't use it at all- slightly gutted that I didn't see the video last night tbh as I could've used it as a base as many people did! I compared THCM with Hour instead. I think that lots of people used the analysis Mr Bruff wrote rather than copying it word for word.
I didn't use it at all- slightly gutted that I didn't see the video last night tbh as I could've used it as a base as many people did! I compared THCM with Hour instead. I think that lots of people used the analysis Mr Bruff wrote rather than copying it word for word.

I knew that I couldn't use IPWY without copying the analysis (at least, I didn't trust myself to) so I used Sonnet 116 instead and although I used a similar analysis of form for THCM, my other points were sufficiently different I don't think it will matter. I am glad I watched it though.
Hey guys. It doesn't matter if you copied Mr bruff's exemplar essay. Don't worry too much about it. If you took ideas from his video and memorised them, and then took them into the exam and implemented them into your own English lit essay, you won't get marked down as it is not classed as plagiarism, it just counts as revision. Therefore, you will gain marks, not lose marks. I'm struggling to believe that you memorised his example essay word for word. If you did memorise it all then you must have a super good memory, then that may be a problem when your exam is being marked :smile:
Original post by Shumaya
lol I hope the grade boundaries are super high

Grade Boundaries rarely ever change for English Literature/Language :smile:
Reply 7
In went up by one last year for an A* (39) and for an A it was (32) so this year i'm guessing for an A* it will be 40-42 and for an A it will roughly be 34/35
Reply 8

Examiners praise those who give original points anyway because they mark so many papers. I think that's said in the examiner report. It's a lot better to make up your own points because then you fully understand what you're trying to say rather than copy someone else's work.
Reply 9
Original post by 123moon
In went up by one last year for an A* (39) and for an A it was (32) so this year i'm guessing for an A* it will be 40-42 and for an A it will roughly be 34/35

For the poetry exam?
Isn't it out of 54?
Is it just me or does that seem kinda low for an A/A*?
Wait, did everyone know what was going to come up in the exam?
Reply 11
u realise out of the 10000 who watched it, like 250 probably remembered it slightly accurately, the others probs forgot it, and a vast majority probably ignored it for what it was and thought to pick something else out. Mr Bruff's work won't be seen in very many people's work, and those who memorised wont have good essays, probably too simplified. (like bullet points)
Original post by niv1234
Wait, did everyone know what was going to come up in the exam?

No one knew for certain, Mr. Bruff posted a video the night before the exam showing his predictions.
Original post by arniebob
No one knew for certain, Mr. Bruff posted a video the night before the exam showing his predictions.

Oh ok, were his predictions correct? (This is unseen poetry right?- sorry I do WJEC but this is really interesting)
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok, were his predictions correct? (This is unseen poetry right?- sorry I do WJEC but this is really interesting)

This is for the AQA exam, question 1.

I think there are three poems that haven't come up in the last couple of years, which are Brothers, THCM and IPWY, so he simply guessed. He predicted the question would involve 'dominant' relationships and the poem would be 'To His Coy Mistress'. However, the question was about the speaker's attitudes towards love. The question he predicted was similar in some ways, but not completely right. The prediction about the poem that would come up was correct though.

In his video he answered the question he predicted would come up by comparing THCM with 'In Paris With You'.
Original post by arniebob
This is for the AQA exam, question 1.

I think there are three poems that haven't come up in the last couple of years, which are Brothers, THCM and IPWY, so he simply guessed. He predicted the question would involve 'dominant' relationships and the poem would be 'To His Coy Mistress'. However, the question was about the speaker's attitudes towards love. The question he predicted was similar in some ways, but not completely right. The prediction about the poem that would come up was correct though.

In his video he answered the question he predicted would come up by comparing THCM with 'In Paris With You'.

Oh ok thanks
No, it's exactly the same as using the points that your English teacher told you to write down. No matter how imaginative your points may be, someone else will have used them too, so it isn't important.
i highly doubt it. as long as you used your own words, it will be okay. if your analysis was of an A* standard, than the examiner would be incorrect to mark you down - just because they have seen similar essays. hopefully you included some of your own, original interpretations - so that you stand out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by CaptErin
For the poetry exam?
Isn't it out of 54?
Is it just me or does that seem kinda low for an A/A*?

Yeah it is and I'm just basing my prediction on previous years and they are acc quite low but i don't think they can up more than 4-5 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest