The Student Room Group

English literature GCSE

Hi please can people help me on English literature I just don't get it I need a 7 but I got a 3 on my mock 😭😭 and in other subjects like sciences (I do triple science) and maths, geo ect I get 8s and 9s and as you can tell I'm just not good at English literature I do - A Christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet and DNA and love and relationships poem

Can people please give me websites to use for anaylsis and how do you structure essays as my teacher barely annotates in the book and I've never been told how to write an essay but I think my grade also reflects on the teacher which I've been currently stuck with for 3 years and the whole class didn't get above a 5 , and I find it annoying as it's just the English grade that looks so bad 😭 and I really want to get a 9 can people please help me also how could I get a good grade on my love and relationships poems as I've got a mock in November on that and DNA 😭 PLEASE
Original post by Icantchoose
Hi please can people help me on English literature I just don't get it I need a 7 but I got a 3 on my mock 😭😭 and in other subjects like sciences (I do triple science) and maths, geo ect I get 8s and 9s and as you can tell I'm just not good at English literature I do - A Christmas carol, Romeo and Juliet and DNA and love and relationships poem

Can people please give me websites to use for anaylsis and how do you structure essays as my teacher barely annotates in the book and I've never been told how to write an essay but I think my grade also reflects on the teacher which I've been currently stuck with for 3 years and the whole class didn't get above a 5 , and I find it annoying as it's just the English grade that looks so bad 😭 and I really want to get a 9 can people please help me also how could I get a good grade on my love and relationships poems as I've got a mock in November on that and DNA 😭 PLEASE

I don't no much about English literature
But I got 3s and 4s in my mock and ended up with a 6
I never really liked English but I always watched mreverythingenhlish on YouTube and a few others which helped really
Ill just say keep working hard at it and you'll eventually succeed

Hi, here are the resources I use for english lit:
- Glow up your grades yt channel
- Mr Bruff/Mr salles/ Dystopian junkie yt channel
- BBC bitesize (some of their analysis is great)
- PMT (high level analysis)
- York notes/CGP (you can get a revision guide based from the text you're doing, however you can also opt for the practice tests that york notes give, which have mark schemes/model answers)

Here are my main tips on things to focus on:
- Context (what was happening during the time the text was written)
- Themes (the main ideas throughout the text)
- Structure/form (the layout of the text and why this may be)
- Quotations from the text (so giving evidence for your points)
- Language techniques (like metaphors and juxtaposition)
- One-word focus (so zoom into a specific word in a quote and analyse it)
- Writer's intention (what the writer was trying to communicate through the character/theme/poem)

If you're a person who prefers memorisation more, you can summarise your main points for each theme/poem/character for your texts and make a mnemonic out of it - you basically have a language technique + a point + a quote in the same mnemonic and you can memorise it on quizlet or flashcards and then do practice essays (where you actively use the points you have remembered).

If you're a person who doesn't like memorising, then I'd say practice papers can help a lot as well as looking at model answers and seeing which techniques/quotes they are identifying and analysing.
Reply 3
Original post by *lifehappens*
hi, here are the resources i use for english lit:
- glow up your grades yt channel
- mr bruff/mr salles/ dystopian junkie yt channel
- bbc bitesize (some of their analysis is great)
- pmt (high level analysis)
- york notes/cgp (you can get a revision guide based from the text you're doing, however you can also opt for the practice tests that york notes give, which have mark schemes/model answers)

here are my main tips on things to focus on:
- context (what was happening during the time the text was written)
- themes (the main ideas throughout the text)
- structure/form (the layout of the text and why this may be)
- quotations from the text (so giving evidence for your points)
- language techniques (like metaphors and juxtaposition)
- one-word focus (so zoom into a specific word in a quote and analyse it)
- writer's intention (what the writer was trying to communicate through the character/theme/poem)

if you're a person who prefers memorisation more, you can summarise your main points for each theme/poem/character for your texts and make a mnemonic out of it - you basically have a language technique + a point + a quote in the same mnemonic and you can memorise it on quizlet or flashcards and then do practice essays (where you actively use the points you have remembered).

If you're a person who doesn't like memorising, then i'd say practice papers can help a lot as well as looking at model answers and seeing which techniques/quotes they are identifying and analysing.

thank you <3 this will really help 😊
Reply 4

I'd recommend you do mind maps for eng lit. Get all your quotes down for a particular theme and annotate it - with analysis from maths and physics tutor and cgp textbooks. Then learn this off by heart - once you have learnt the quotes and analysis all you really have to do is manipulate it to what the question is asking you. Then write essays for your teacher to mark, do at least one a week - ask for their advice and tweak it till it's perfect. So then you have a really good essay for each of studied texts - then again use the structure and ideas from these and manipulate it to the question asked. Keep writing loads of essays for your teachers - trust. Also its a progressive thing with time and practise you'll get better, i went from a 7 in my mocks to a grade 9 (127/130) in my gcse exam. I've blabbered a bit there - but i'm happy to answer anymore qs.

Quick Reply

Latest