The Student Room Group

GCSE prep in the summer

Hello guys , im going to y11 currently having summer break and i feel like this might be the best time where i can catch up. My grades overall werent the best i must say , i only got one grade 8 ,wheras the rest is 4,6s,7s .

i have 20 days left to do some serious revision until school starts again

for my final y10 grade i got :

eng lang:5

history:4

chem:6

bio:8

physics:6

math:7

islamic:C

can someone who has acheived top grades in GCSE please tell me what i should do in order to get top grades(7-9) in Y11

and if possible please give me a good solid revison plan that they used to acheive top GCSE grades.

thanks for your time :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SS212314Z
Hello guys , im going to y11 currently having summer break and i feel like this might be the best time where i can catch up. My grades overall werent the best i must say , i only got one grade 8 ,wheras the rest is 4,6s,7s .

can someone who has acheived top grades in GCSE please tell me what i should do in order to get top grades(7-9) in Y11

and if possible please give me a good solid revison plan that they used to acheive top GCSE grades.

i can only speak for maths and english lang since i went from a 3 to 7 for eng and 6/7 to 8 for maths.

MATHS:

Use Corbett maths and Maths Genie for maths and do tons of past papers from your exam board. I'd say practice is key for maths, nothing more than that really. Prioritize focusing on your weaker areas in maths. Consider making flashcards on formulas for maths like Quadratic formula or Sine rule etc. Try and do maths questions every day, even if it is only a couple.

ENGLISH:

English Lan i really struggled with. The biggest help I got was from looking at exemplar answers for the questions. I found some on ExamPro Demo for AQA, big help. Also, youtube was my savior - look at MrEverythingEnglish, Mr Bruff and Mr Salies (idk if thats how you spell his name). Really try and understand the structure of each question, how many paragraphs you have to write, what should each paragraph include etc. For the 40 marker, again look at exemplars but also search for WOW words for high-level vocab to include in your writing like idk; nonchalant or epitome. All in all, practice doing lots of papers and ask your teacher for feedback on them as well (maybe he/she can even mark them for you. Just thought of this, you could find random images of Google or smt and try to describe them/create a story around them as if it is an exam question. Oh and also, make sure to time yourself and I found that timing is a big thing for english language. Also, you should look at exam technique too, what questions to answer first etc. I think that's everything lol.
Original post by SS212314Z

I'd say, focus on the subjects you got less than a 6 in, so maybe history and english lang. Your grades are pretty good, though well done! An 8 in bio...I could never..lol
Here are some tips I have for some subjects:

Maths:
First make a checklist of all the topics you covered that year, and tick all the ones you found tough or you aren't too confident in. I use cognito and gcse maths tutor yt channels to help me understand topics I'm weak in.
Then use maths genie (as mentioned by @mskr710), corbett maths (although some of their questions can be repetitive or KS3) or gcse maths tutor website (they have free practice questions and answers). You can also use your own workbooks, like cgp or oxford revise to practice.
Don't feel disheartened if you get a question wrong from a topic you are confident in! Just copy down the steps for the mark scheme and you will be prepared next time you find a question similar to that!

Science (in general):
Sometimes science can have a lot of content and topics, especially if you're doing triple science, so I recommend making some light notes on a flashcard or on an A4 page max, to summarise the content in a way you can understand it - so you can refer back to this later. Use the specification from your exam board to help you, as it's basically a checklist of everything you need to know! Use workbooks you have, pmt and mme revise to find practice questions with mark schemes, they are super helpful. I also recommend revising practicals and making sure you know your equations, as these almost always pop up in exams, sometimes practicals can also help you understand the topic better, as you are applying that knowledge.
For bio and chem especially, the mark schemes are hugely specific, so make sure you give specific answers too (during an exam).

For history, you can try and find a helpful revision guide (avoid textbooks/guides that just pack a bunch of info for the sake of filling up pages, try and find one that gives you concise notes and also follows alongside what is in the specification) or you can make your own notes using the specification. Do lots of practice papers to strengthen exam technique - it can be helpful to memorise some stats or facts about some topics, because it's a good backup to use if you struggle with an essay question in the exam.

For english lang, practice lots of questions and use the mark scheme/examiners report to find out ways of improving your writing - it can be structure, language or even having a good flow of writing. Having a rich vocab can help enhance your essays as well, it's essential for creative writing. For creative writing, you can find any image online or use a past paper and try to write a description/story based on that, when you practice this, you will slowly get the hang of it.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest