The Student Room Group

Can I still do psychology at uni?

I am in year 12 and I have finally thought about doing psychology only I know that some courses want two science subjects but I'm only doing psychology, English literature, sociology and history and so I don't know if universities will accept me into their schools if I am not doing a science subject such as biology.
Reply 1
Original post by Firefly16
I am in year 12 and I have finally thought about doing psychology only I know that some courses want two science subjects but I'm only doing psychology, English literature, sociology and history and so I don't know if universities will accept me into their schools if I am not doing a science subject such as biology.

Some prefer you to have 2 sciences. But I can't think of any that require 2. Anyhow most universities don't require any, but if you apply to schools that say they prefer 2 you will be at a disadvantage to someone doing 2 sciences. You'll just need to show you're a scientist in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Perhaps not at all universities, but I'm sure a fair few would. I know a couple of people doing subjects such as Psychology, Sociology and Philosophy who have had offers for Psychology, including some Russell Groups.
It's possible to get an offer for psychology at uni with just gcse science and no psychology qualification so far. I know because it happened to me.

Don't panic op there's still everything to play for.
Reply 4
I'm doing it at uni right now and I've never come across a university specifically stating that you must have 2+ science subjects. They might prefer it but it won't be a definite requirement. :smile:

It varies from uni to uni, just go on the website of the university you're interested in, look under 'entry requirements' and they'll clearly state what subjects they prefer/require.

In case you're wondering I did Maths, Physics and Biology at A-level (and AS History).
Reply 5
Original post by Firefly16

I did Psychology, History and Sociology as my A Levels and study Psychology :smile: The only requirement I've seen from universities is either a grade B or C in GCSE Maths. Hope this helps!
Reply 6
I've got offers from Russell Group universities with psychology, philosophy and media. In fact, I've found that I have been given a lower offers than someone who did a 2nd science - biology! So don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest