Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing an essay subject at uni after only STEM a levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm concerned that my essay writing skills may have slipped. At GCSE I did literally zero preparation for both English language and literature so I came out with a B. I am considering economics or social policy and economics with are of course essay based. So do essay writing skills really matter or is it the insight and subject understanding that is more important?

ReputationRep:
    I think that essay writing shouldn't worry you that much. Anyway at university for each subject there is specific formats expected and you will pick up the skill as you go. First year does not usually contribute much to your overall classification, so if the subject you choose requires a lot of essay writing, you will have that year to learn how to properly do it. Most universities also offer advice and have one to one tutorials available for people who want to learn how to approach academic essay writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucasium)
    I'm concerned that my essay writing skills may have slipped. At GCSE I did literally zero preparation for both English language and literature so I came out with a B. I am considering economics or social policy and economics with are of course essay based. So do essay writing skills really matter or is it the insight and subject understanding that is more important?
    The skill comes back soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    The skill comes back soon
    (Original post by alkyone)
    I think that essay writing shouldn't worry you that much. Anyway at university for each subject there is specific formats expected and you will pick up the skill as you go. First year does not usually contribute much to your overall classification, so if the subject you choose requires a lot of essay writing, you will have that year to learn how to properly do it. Most universities also offer advice and have one to one tutorials available for people who want to learn how to approach academic essay writing.Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do I stand a chance of getting an offer from a top degree program? Say my grades meet the requirements

ReputationRep:
    Do I stand a chance of getting an offer from a top degree program? Say my grades meet the requirements
    I do not think it should matter if you meet their requirements and have a strong personal statement. If you research into the universities you wish to apply to and check what sort of selection criteria they have though, because some top universities have extra requirements such as interviews or submitting a sample of your writing, and decide accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    I took Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A Level, studied forensic chemistry for my undergrad and psychology for my postgrad. The only one I needed to write essays for was psychology, which was about 5 years since doing my last essay in my GCSE's but I honestly didn't find it that bad. Once you've got the basic structure down it's relatively easy to plan what you're writing about in which paragraph and how to link everything up.
    A good essay is just as reliant on HOW you write it as WHAT you write. You can create the most intelligent, thought-provoking essay in the world but it'll be so hard to read if it's not written well or doesn't flow.
    It might be a bit difficult to get used to writing essays again but you'll soon pick it up, especially if you'll be writing them for 3 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.