The Student Room Group

Law Alevel

Hey!! I've choose my a levels and I chose maths, business, law and AS psychology and was wondering how hard law is do you need to have been good at English literature for it as I only got 5s in it as I'm not that good at forming inventive ideas but I'm good at writing paragraphs in subjects like business although they're much shorter and in law its 40 markers so I was wondering if anyone wasn't that good at English but still good at Law? Or if I should try swap for a subject like Biology which I did better in. But then Id have no essay based subjects so not sure if that will remove options in the future.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT TO DO AS A JOB OR IN UNI BTW. Thanks!

(im taking business because I find it easy so will hopefully get a good grade and im taking maths as its a good level and I preferred studying it over other subjects like English and I took AS Psych as I have to take either an AS or enrichment at my school)
Reply 1
Original post by Kelly0121
Hey!! I've choose my a levels and I chose maths, business, law and AS psychology and was wondering how hard law is do you need to have been good at English literature for it as I only got 5s in it as I'm not that good at forming inventive ideas but I'm good at writing paragraphs in subjects like business although they're much shorter and in law its 40 markers so I was wondering if anyone wasn't that good at English but still good at Law? Or if I should try swap for a subject like Biology which I did better in. But then Id have no essay based subjects so not sure if that will remove options in the future.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT TO DO AS A JOB OR IN UNI BTW. Thanks!

(im taking business because I find it easy so will hopefully get a good grade and im taking maths as its a good level and I preferred studying it over other subjects like English and I took AS Psych as I have to take either an AS or enrichment at my school)

Hi,

First of all I have to say what a mix of a levels ( not a bad thing at all btw haha)

I know you said you don’t know what you want to do in the future but honestly even law schools don’t like people doing law as an a level and it’s not even necessary. I would say only take law specifically if you enjoy it as a theory subject. Otherwise I would choose another respected essay based subject like philosophy or history ( if you like them of course)

I think maths is a really good choice which opens up a lot of doors! and taking a subject you’re good at like business is also a good idea to get you through the two years.

I don’t think you should worry too much about doing a wide range of a levels. I think taking maths itself is an achievement and simply another essay based subject would be great at opening doors. I also don’t think you need to be brilliant at English lit for essay based subjects like law but you need to be able to write a evaluative argument ( you’ll be taught how) with plenty of evidence .you’ll get better at it when you start in September!

Do you prefer humanities or stem? If you like stem, then I don’t even think you need a humanities a level even if you’re not sure what you wanna do.
Reply 2
Original post by hahaaddie
Hi,

First of all I have to say what a mix of a levels ( not a bad thing at all btw haha)

I know you said you don’t know what you want to do in the future but honestly even law schools don’t like people doing law as an a level and it’s not even necessary. I would say only take law specifically if you enjoy it as a theory subject. Otherwise I would choose another respected essay based subject like philosophy or history ( if you like them of course)

I think maths is a really good choice which opens up a lot of doors! and taking a subject you’re good at like business is also a good idea to get you through the two years.

I don’t think you should worry too much about doing a wide range of a levels. I think taking maths itself is an achievement and simply another essay based subject would be great at opening doors. I also don’t think you need to be brilliant at English lit for essay based subjects like law but you need to be able to write a evaluative argument ( you’ll be taught how) with plenty of evidence .you’ll get better at it when you start in September!

Do you prefer humanities or stem? If you like stem, then I don’t even think you need a humanities a level even if you’re not sure what you wanna do.

Hey thanks so much for the reply I enjoy parts of humanities like history which I took but I only liked the war parts as they're more interesting the Elizabethan and health was quite boring to me and in the history A level at my school they do Tudors so feel like I may just be bored and not really listen as much so may have to revise more.

I don't know if I actually enjoy any subjects but I did prefer revising the STEM subjects like maths and sciences over other subjects although I don't do as well in maths than history or sciences but I just thought it would be a good option and I don't mind revising it. I'm just not sure if the high content amounts and specific mark schemes of biology will be too much for me or if taking one science especially biology is even that helpful in widening options as apparently there's not many options with just biology in the future so not sure if it would just be a lot of work for not much gain.

TBH I don't think ill be happy with any decision as I'm just really indecisive and I overthink and get stressed about these things, just hope it all goes well.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest