The Student Room Group

help with alevel options

hi guys,
im thinking of doing either maths, further maths, chemistry and geography or maths, further maths, chemistry, and psychology.
im unsure on what I want to do in uni, so what combo of subjects would offer me a wider variety of choices in uni? also if anyone is doing their geography alevel, is the coursework boring or difficult?
can anyone give me any advice? :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by wizardwand123
hi guys,
im thinking of doing either maths, further maths, chemistry and geography or maths, further maths, chemistry, and psychology.
im unsure on what I want to do in uni, so what combo of subjects would offer me a wider variety of choices in uni? also if anyone is doing their geography alevel, is the coursework boring or difficult?

HI! The only subject I do out of that list is Psychology but general advice is only if you are doing a specific course at university (for example medicine or biochemistry etc) does the a level subjects you do matter. As long as they are on a similar line, your a level and uni subject choice, then it should be fine! But in my opinion I think both combinations lead you down a science / maths / stem degree, but the geography in option 1 could open up to humanities / more essay based degrees. Hope that heps :smile:
Reply 2
I do maths and further maths, so far - they are both pretty decent. Psychology ties in quite nicely as of what I have heard, ofc I wouldn't just base it on what "works well together" as many people like variety in what they are doing. Geography is a good option especially if you are unsure on what to do in the future as it differs from your other subjects and can give you different views/ideas of what you could do in the future, it is also an essay based subject which could really help in the future. As you are doing 4 a-levels, I do not believe that either will harm what you want to do in the future.
Reply 3
I would definitely reccomend geography, like the others said, it is more versatile and gives a broad range. psychology is interesting sure but not necessary for any course, and if you want to do an essay subject, english or history would be far better in my opinion. But geography is a nice blend between stem and humanities so overall I would reccomend it. Just bear in mind degrees like law require a more hard -core essay subject usually, but given your other choices I don't think that appears to be something you want to look into.
hi guys,

To study Geography at degree level, you don't require A-Level Geography. 🙂 lol

So please choose Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Psychology.

Psychology has 25% of marks devoted to Statistics and simple calculations. Also the essays in Psychology are just 16 marks. 🙂
Reply 5
Psychology so it’s all stem then
hi guys,

I did geography (admittedly a few years ago now) and loved it. It as very interesting.
Our of geography and psychology, which do you think you will enjoy most and get the best grade in?

Quick Reply

Latest