The Student Room Group

A levels

I am taking 4 essay subject a levels: English Lit, History, Religious Studies and classics. Is this an overkill? I am good at essay subjects and enjoy them currently at gcse. I am not very good at stem subjects or maths at the moment. Is this a good decision? I want to do law at uni.
Original post by ua12345
I am taking 4 essay subject a levels: English Lit, History, Religious Studies and classics. Is this an overkill? I am good at essay subjects and enjoy them currently at gcse. I am not very good at stem subjects or maths at the moment. Is this a good decision? I want to do law at uni.

Universities only require you to take 3 A-levels, so doing four is absolutely not necessary. You need to do well in all 4 A-levels in order to get into uni, so it may be worth considering that. The subject combination seems fine to do law as well so I wouldn't worry about not doing any STEM subjects.
Original post by ua12345

these subjects are great for law, but be careful not to spread yourself too thinly as AAA will be better for university than ABBC (and so on). you could always start with 4 a levels and then drop your least favourite. what level roughly are you working at in your GCSEs?
Original post by ua12345

Hi there

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying law at University.

I think those are really good choices as they can definitely build your essay writing skills. I think you could always try to take 4 A levels, and if it works for you then stick with it. If you do find yourself struggling, you could always drop the subject you are weaker at- it would still leave you in a good position to apply for law.

The focus in A levels should be to achieve higher grades, if you find that taking 3 subjects may guarantee you better scores, then I think you should then drop the fourth subject. (Universities, especially the higher ranking ones, will be looking for strong academic results).

Also: any A level subjects will be fine for a law degree, if you do not like STEM subjects or maths, then there is no need to force yourself through them. It is better to stick with subjects you enjoy and do better in (They are really suited for a law degree too).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Universities only require you to take 3 A-levels, so doing four is absolutely not necessary. You need to do well in all 4 A-levels in order to get into uni, so it may be worth considering that. The subject combination seems fine to do law as well so I wouldn't worry about not doing any STEM subjects.

yeah but my sixth form is making us do 4. 3 is only allowed under special circumstances
Reply 5
Original post by erin11
these subjects are great for law, but be careful not to spread yourself too thinly as AAA will be better for university than ABBC (and so on). you could always start with 4 a levels and then drop your least favourite. what level roughly are you working at in your GCSEs?

Thank you, I just got my mocks back and got 3 9s 1 8, 5 7s and 1 6. However my 9s were in english lit, english lang and RS and i got a 7 in history.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying law at University.

I think those are really good choices as they can definitely build your essay writing skills. I think you could always try to take 4 A levels, and if it works for you then stick with it. If you do find yourself struggling, you could always drop the subject you are weaker at- it would still leave you in a good position to apply for law.

The focus in A levels should be to achieve higher grades, if you find that taking 3 subjects may guarantee you better scores, then I think you should then drop the fourth subject. (Universities, especially the higher ranking ones, will be looking for strong academic results).

Also: any A level subjects will be fine for a law degree, if you do not like STEM subjects or maths, then there is no need to force yourself through them. It is better to stick with subjects you enjoy and do better in (They are really suited for a law degree too).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you very much for your help
Original post by ua12345
Thank you, I just got my mocks back and got 3 9s 1 8, 5 7s and 1 6. However my 9s were in english lit, english lang and RS and i got a 7 in history.

wow, massive well done!!! that's a very good position to be in at this point of y11 - you clearly know what you're doing so id say go for it with 4 a levels! :smile:
Original post by ua12345

Those subjects are fine for law.
Reply 9
Original post by Emma:-)
Those subjects are fine for law.

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by erin11
wow, massive well done!!! that's a very good position to be in at this point of y11 - you clearly know what you're doing so id say go for it with 4 a levels! :smile:

Ok - thanks

Quick Reply

Latest