The Student Room Group

I regret my A level choices

I regret taking English literature and Art at a levels. English was my best subject at gcses and I enjoyed the course. However, I hate the book we’re reading and the teachers. I didn’t take any STEM subjects and feel as though I am limiting myself. I wanted to take biology and psychology but was pushed into doing all essay based. Is it too late to change and catch up?
Original post by Snagroll
I regret taking English literature and Art at a levels. English was my best subject at gcses and I enjoyed the course. However, I hate the book we’re reading and the teachers. I didn’t take any STEM subjects and feel as though I am limiting myself. I wanted to take biology and psychology but was pushed into doing all essay based. Is it too late to change and catch up?

No if you want to put in the effort it's not too late to catch up however do make sure you 100 percent want to change it bc biology and psychology are large topics
Reply 2
Original post by Snagroll

Ik I'm late and you may or may not have already switched but there are a few things I want to point out here:

1) You're not really giving yourself more options by taking Biology and Psychology because you only take one science. If anything, Maths would be far more useful in giving yourself more options when it comes to STEM. The only extra option you're giving yourself is to study Psychology at Uni (fine if that's what you plan to do). You can't study Biology as you would need another science (such as Chemistry) or Maths.
2) Biology is a difficult A-level and it isn't easy to get high grades unless you revise a lot. Believe me, I took it in September because I enjoyed it at GCSE and wondered, why not take it at A-level? I was so wrong. I ended up completely hating the subject as it was so in-depth, boring and completely different to how it was at GCSE, not in a good way. Plus the mark scheme is crazy specific. I dropped it a month in, but that's me. Make sure you do some research into the subject so you don't end up regretting it!
3) I would recommend that you stick to your strengths. If Biology and/or sciences weren't your strengths at GCSE, you should think about switching. It'll be much harder and it needs much more work than your other subjects. If you're not enjoying English, why not switch to another essay-based subject that may be more interesting to you?

Did you end up switching? If so, how are you finding them so far?
Reply 3
Original post by howdy07
Ik I'm late and you may or may not have already switched but there are a few things I want to point out here:

1) You're not really giving yourself more options by taking Biology and Psychology because you only take one science. If anything, Maths would be far more useful in giving yourself more options when it comes to STEM. The only extra option you're giving yourself is to study Psychology at Uni (fine if that's what you plan to do). You can't study Biology as you would need another science (such as Chemistry) or Maths.
2) Biology is a difficult A-level and it isn't easy to get high grades unless you revise a lot. Believe me, I took it in September because I enjoyed it at GCSE and wondered, why not take it at A-level? I was so wrong. I ended up completely hating the subject as it was so in-depth, boring and completely different to how it was at GCSE, not in a good way. Plus the mark scheme is crazy specific. I dropped it a month in, but that's me. Make sure you do some research into the subject so you don't end up regretting it!
3) I would recommend that you stick to your strengths. If Biology and/or sciences weren't your strengths at GCSE, you should think about switching. It'll be much harder and it needs much more work than your other subjects. If you're not enjoying English, why not switch to another essay-based subject that may be more interesting to you?

Did you end up switching? If so, how are you finding them so far?

I havent switched as I’m scared of all the content I have missed. I honestly am hating my current subjects as my English teacher has been acting inappropriately rude towards me regarding my work and even out of school life. I dont want to continue english after a-levels, neither art.
Unfortunately I was 1mark away from a 7 in GCSEs meaning I can’t currently do Maths at A-levels.
.I dont know if its possible to finish the a levels then divert into a foundation year of a science based subject. I took triple science gcse, would this help make up for the work i have missed in a level biology / chemistry?
Reply 4
There are actually some STEM degree Foundation years specifically for those with good grade expectations, but in the 'wrong' subjects.

Science Foundation Year | University of Southampton
Science With Foundation Year - The University of Nottingham
Studies in Science with Foundation Year BSc | University of Leeds
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
There are actually some STEM degree Foundation years specifically for those with good grade expectations, but in the 'wrong' subjects.
Science Foundation Year | University of Southampton
Science With Foundation Year - The University of Nottingham
Studies in Science with Foundation Year BSc | University of Leeds
I regret taking art, I should have done chemistry instead, but it is too late now. I do bio psych and art and I do want to do vet med, i have all the work exp ready and lots of great stuff for my PS- I have researched into the foundation/preliminary years as well. My backup is biovet which only requires on science, but at a high grade. Liverpool uni see psych as a science so I am good to go. Do u think they would favour people who do bio and chem over me?

Quick Reply

Latest