The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miss_maddy
Wow! This place is a blast from the past.
Haven't been on here in 6 years until applying for Fast Stream this year.

I've miraculously passed SJT/Competency tests and E-tray and am going to sit my video interview soon. Well done to everyone who is at this stage and passed the video interview. I currently work in Department for Education so have a good understanding of how competency based interviews works and had some senior colleagues help me iron out my examples for this. Even with all that advantage, I feel grossly underprepared.

I just want to reiterate something that has probably been said on this thread before. There are plenty of opportunities at EO level in government all the time. So please don't feel like this (and other graduate schemes) are the be all end all.

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help.

Hi! Hope your interview goes smoother than mine lol.

How was the application process for EO positions in terms of length and difficulty? Did you applying straight out of uni or did you get a bit of experience first?
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Hi! Hope your interview goes smoother than mine lol.

How was the application process for EO positions in terms of length and difficulty? Did you applying straight out of uni or did you get a bit of experience first?

Thank you! I'll be honest, I'm just thrilled to have gotten to this stage.

Competition is tough and SJTs and e-trays aren't a fool proof way of testing talent and ability.

Applying for EO roles is fairly simple. I worked for two years before I applied for DfE. The important thing to remember is not to give up. I made about 7 government-wide applications before I got the one I'm in. Once you're in, there is a clear route of progression. I read somewhere that only 5% of civil servants are Fast Streamers. So I really want to reiterate that this is NOT the only route for a successful career.

The other advice I'd give is to actually undertake some work experience in a political party. www.w4mpjobs.org is a great place to find these. You may think that it would show a political affiliation on your CV, but they really don't mind that. As long as you have examples that tick the competencies, it doesn't matter how jazzy or simple the example is. Retail experience is often a lends itself to show very good Managing A Quality Service.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Well done to those who have heard back so far!

It seems a very mixed bag of successful stream choices.

Has anyone passed HR yet? Doesn't seem so. Also has anyone been allocated to a regional FSAC i.e. Newcastle?

I thought each stage of the process carried its own merit so I'm unsure how it works with regards to those who have been successful for some streams early on, if they lower the pass mark later. I guess we will find out.

Good luck everyone! Hard to stay patient :smile:
Has anyone had a straight up rejection or is it only next stage for some/all schemes?
Not that I know of. I think they'll wait until everybody has completed the interview, as there are still a few waiting for their interview to be unlocked.
Hi,

It seems like people are getting their video interview responses (if they're successful) exactly a week after they sit the interview.
Is that most people's experience?
I just sat mine on Saturday and was getting stressed :frown:
I'm super worried as I rambled a bit and some of my answers got cut off towards the end.
I sat mine last Sunday! And still waiting to hear back too! I'm getting slightly worried now and people seemed to apply for 1-3 and I think I just labelled them in order and applied for 7-8! Really starting to panic....
Original post by DavisSedgwick
Hi all,

I'm a long-time observer of this forum and I just found out that I passed my video interview. You receive an email which informs you that you've passed, and your dashboard updates to let you know what schemes you are still successful for and invites you to book into an assessment center. I've been successful with all of my preferences (with my first preference being generalist - I did not apply to the diplomatic stream).

For those worrying about how their video interview went, I did not feel mine went well. I did mine exactly one week ago (Sunday) and I did not think my examples were great, I did however deliver the interview with confidence whilst looking at the camera for the most part. I did stutter at parts, but that doesn't seem to matter.

For those concerned about an upcoming video interview, my own personal advice is to be confident. You've done well enough to get to this point in the first place so remember that. Have your CV in front of you so you can prepare for the competencies which you should know by now, and you'll be fine. There's a lot of great advice on this forum, so scroll back and use it! Needless to say, in the interests of fairness, I won't be giving out the questions, you shouldn't need them!

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions and good luck!

Hey! I was told I passed too and given the login for the new site, however I don't have any messages there about when an assessment centre is or how to book onto one - do you?
Original post by as55
Those that have passed the video interview, are you able to book an assessment centre slot or does it say "awaiting invitation"?

Yes mine just says this - does that mean we have not actually got through yet?
I did exactly the same! Just put in a preference list for anything that I thought sounded okay. I hope they don't look at that unfavourably.

I sat mine over a week ago, it has been around 2 weeks I think and still nothing back. I keep rechecking my page but no change! so hard to keep sane!!!
Reply 1990
Original post by gelcoc
Yes mine just says this - does that mean we have not actually got through yet?

They probably still need to set dates for the FSAC which will probably be done in Jan once they have an idea of how many people passed the video interview.
Original post by sss1993
I did exactly the same! Just put in a preference list for anything that I thought sounded okay. I hope they don't look at that unfavourably.

I sat mine over a week ago, it has been around 2 weeks I think and still nothing back. I keep rechecking my page but no change! so hard to keep sane!!!

I wonder if it's cos we have to be assessed by the many departments instead of one/two? That's what I'm hoping anyway! Third year applying so will be gutted to make it this far then fall at the final hurdle.
Original post by newcgal
I wonder if it's cos we have to be assessed by the many departments instead of one/two? That's what I'm hoping anyway! Third year applying so will be gutted to make it this far then fall at the final hurdle.

Hopefully! and then in theory we will have more of a chance. It took me so long to decide which to put first and I can't even remember now.

I hope you get good news, it is my second time applying this year. fingers crossed we both get through!
Original post by sss1993
Hopefully! and then in theory we will have more of a chance. It took me so long to decide which to put first and I can't even remember now.

I hope you get good news, it is my second time applying this year. fingers crossed we both get through!

HAha that's the hope! Fingers crossed! Best of luck! I'll no doubt still obsess over this page for the next week or so...
Original post by newcgal
HAha that's the hope! Fingers crossed! Best of luck! I'll no doubt still obsess over this page for the next week or so...

For sure!! I'm meant to be writing essays and all I can do is refresh the page and check my emails constantly, living in the hope that Civil Service will put me out of my misery soon!

Good Luck!!
Original post by gelcoc
Hey! I was told I passed too and given the login for the new site, however I don't have any messages there about when an assessment centre is or how to book onto one - do you?

No, I'm pretty sure that they're still finalising dates and locations, and who will be where at what time. They still need to assess video interviews and evaluate who will be invited so all slots are filled.

Don't worry, this will probably take some time!
(edited 7 years ago)
This is such an anxious wait...glad to know there are other people feeling the same way mind!
Original post by gelcoc

Hey! just wondering how you were told, was it via email or the Civil service system login page?
I've just completed my video interview. I was so nervous, but overall the questions were nowhere near as challenging as I anticipated. I did waffle on a lot though. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting for results and to those about to sit their interviews!
Has anyone passed the video interview for the Economist or Statistician streams? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending