The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

JustCharley can we be sneaky and ask what the questions were roughly?
Original post by BradWills20
JustCharley can we be sneaky and ask what the questions were roughly?

Loool being told it's competency based is a lot of help in itself. I think prepare well, have a lot of examples to refer to and you'll be ok
Did the CSFS twitter page not state that the interview would be strength and motivation based - as opposed to competency based?
I did my interview today and I think it went okay. Nothing too out of the ordinary for me and contrary to what the tweets suggested, it was (for the most part) competency based. However...

Spoiler

So I've been waiting for an email telling me whether or not I passed the e-tray! I came on to student room to see if other people had heard (thinking "oh no I've probably been pooled") and saw a post above saying "I just logged on to see I passed". Deciding I'd do the same thing, I logged on to double check and found out (to my surprise might I add), that I had passed! Unfortunately, I really should have checked this quite a few days ago as I now only have three days to complete the interview -.-

tl;dr: log on to check because I never received an email telling me results had been released!

Congrats to everyone sitting video interviews, commiserations to those of you who aren't. I thought that the e-tray was incredibly, incredibly hard so imo there's absolutely no shame in not getting through - I wasn't expecting to at all!
Original post by rizzyg2
So I've been waiting for an email telling me whether or not I passed the e-tray! I came on to student room to see if other people had heard (thinking "oh no I've probably been pooled":wink: and saw a post above saying "I just logged on to see I passed". Deciding I'd do the same thing, I logged on to double check and found out (to my surprise might I add), that I had passed! Unfortunately, I really should have checked this quite a few days ago as I now only have three days to complete the interview -.-

tl;dr: log on to check because I never received an email telling me results had been released!

Congrats to everyone sitting video interviews, commiserations to those of you who aren't. I thought that the e-tray was incredibly, incredibly hard so imo there's absolutely no shame in not getting through - I wasn't expecting to at all!

Thanks for posting this! I didn't recieve an email saying the video interviews were open either. If you hadn't of said anything, I'd never have known! Luckily I have 5 days left.
Original post by JustCharley
I've just done my video interview!

It is competency based, with a strong emphasis on providing examples. I've already been working for two years so had a good bank of examples to use. I had them on a piece of paper next to me when I was doing the interview.

The interview itself is 8 questions, with roughly 2 mins per answer allowed. You get 15 second between being told the question, and then having to answer. You can take a short break between questions also.

Thank you so much for this. I really hope you get through. I'm attending a civil service event at 4pm so if I pick up any tips for anyone else, I'll post them here. Your post is so helpful!
Thank you so much, guys, for the information on interviews, mine is still locked and no emails either (i passed the etray and saw it almost five days ago). I am curious to know all those whose video interview is now unlocked - which streams did you apply for in your first three choices? And did you get any questions corresponding to more specific competencies needed by a particular stream?
Mine must have unlocked yesterday since I have 5 days and 17 hours to complete it. I'll likely be doing it on Thursday then to give myself some time to prepare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know which specific competencies are tested in the video interview. I've been for a civil service interview before and they usually tell you which ones so you can prepare examples. As this is fast stream do I need to prepare examples for all 10 competencies in the framework just in case? Any help much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you get invited to the video interview, does it mean you passed the e-tray exercise? Or is it a case of each stage unlocking once the previous stage has been completed?

The phrasing on the application makes it sound as though you have passed but the phrasing in the FAQs makes it sound as though everyone gets a shot at the whole application.
Original post by abc:)
If you get invited to the video interview, does it mean you passed the e-tray exercise? Or is it a case of each stage unlocking once the previous stage has been completed?

The phrasing on the application makes it sound as though you have passed but the phrasing in the FAQs makes it sound as though everyone gets a shot at the whole application.

You have to pass each section before you can move onto the next. Therefore you passed the e-tray if invited to do video interview!
Reply 1392
just did my e-tray - got the result i've passed immediately by logging in :smile: just a quick q - my interview currently says locked, I've heard a few people weren't made aware of when this 'unlocks', does anyone have a rough indication of how long it'll be before this happens? thanks!
Anyone else in a position of having passed the e-tray but still have the video interview locked? I know that this is normal but was hoping to have the interviews unlocked by now - have deadlines coming up and really wish I knew what to prioritise!
Original post by catinahat12
Anyone else in a position of having passed the e-tray but still have the video interview locked? I know that this is normal but was hoping to have the interviews unlocked by now - have deadlines coming up and really wish I knew what to prioritise!

Yes, mine's still locked.
Original post by catinahat12

Mines still locked too.
Reply 1396
Hi - I've just attempted the e-tray but the background materials are not displaying correctly :frown:

I couldn't read the information as it was being covered by the current screen - which made it almost impossible to complete the task successfully - SO FRUSTRATING!

Has anyone else had this problem? I've sent them screenshots and I'm hoping they'll resolve the issue and allow another go.... :/
Original post by Ilovebakedbeans
Thank you for sharing that information,

I was just wondering could you kindly quantify how long 'the short break' is? Is it timed or do you have an indefinite amount of time without leaving the interview between Qs?

thanks in advance!

I never left it any longer than one minute. Not very long I'd imagine.
Original post by PPEStudent2307
So it's very much a "give me an example of when you..." format? Did you feel there were any curve ball questions outside of examples from the work place? E.g. current affairs

Absolutely no curve balls at all. Just generic competency questions!
Original post by JustCharley
Absolutely no curve balls at all. Just generic competency questions!

Did they ask any competency questions on achieving commercial outcomes/delivering value for money etc? I've seen these competencies mentioned under their framework and I'm not too sure how much to focus on them! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending