The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaruP
I thought the requirement is to be a graduate, why would the questions and such be about customer experience etc?

Yeah they would be very unfair for mos.
Original post by Lonsheff
that is very helpful to most of us who haven't yet taken the video interview. Thank you.

I had a question about the prepration time before you start being recorded. I know people have mentioned 15 seconds, is that the case before each question or does the prep time differ too depending how long you have to answer?

Sorry I have just seen this so not sure if someone else has answered but yes, the time differs per q! and some questions you have longer to answer than others
I totally agree that it is a really unfair way to do things, they're going to lose plenty of good candidates because of this
Also it is weird for them to ask why you're good for your stream when you don't know which stream you're still in for.. but still they might ask that so, prepare!
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Also, I'm sort of struggling to get my head around the delivering at pace competency. Am I right in saying that delivering at pace is just keeping a focus on prioritised goals, delivering on time and dealing with any issues in the team that's will effect this?

Such a weird competency

Yes. Basically it's about working to deadlines, which happens a lot in government, and having to reprioritise and also rescope things (ie trim down the scale of what you plan to do to make sure you deliver the really important bit).
Reply 1584
Original post by jelly1000
I really hope those aren't the real questions because I don't think I could answer most of them!

They are not testing the leading and communicating competency because even I would struggle answering those and I have internship experience and work experience. The rest some seem a little difficult but could use uni experience if you had to do team presentations, self reflective essays on what you need to improve etc.
Original post by PPEStudent2307
Because they haven't told us what stream you've got the interview for, they don't have a "why stream?" question; or at least I didn't and I see it as highly unlikely that they will. The only scenario where I would encourage you to talk about your chosen stream is if you only applied for one, or you are hellbent on only being accepted to your first choice, because talking excessively about one stream may alienate other streams.

I did get this question, even though I applied for like 9 schemes! So who knows!
Just got an email in my junk folder saying that my video interview has been unlocked. You guys should look in there too so you dont miss it.
Original post by caitlinmaireadx
I did get this question, even though I applied for like 9 schemes! So who know!

Which were your top scheme choices, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 1588
Regarding the video interviews, I think if the point is to streamline resources and save money/time, then this new element of the recruitment process will be successful.

However, the Fast Stream has been criticised for lack of inclusivity. To ensure that candidates from all backgrounds feel comfortable taking part in the process, surely a recorded audio interview would be preferable? And, if the reasoning was that millennials will feel more able and experienced in using video for interview situations, where does that leave older candidates?

I did the interview and I'm not sure if I would go as far as to call it 'dehumanising' but it was certainly not the most effective (and probably the most artificial) way for people to communicate their experience and strengths. I can't imagine a situation where you would have to complete a task like that in that way (one-take, no interaction) in any organisation.

I think a little more thought might be needed.
Reply 1589
Hi fellow people,

For those that have already done the Video Interview or those that can answer this question,

Is it possible to use the same work experience for different types of questions? And this does NOT necessarily mean giving the same answers to different questions asked but I mean by applying the SAME Experience but through a different role.

I hope that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

For those of you who have done the video interview, I was just wondering how long it takes after doing/passing the E-tray for your video interview to get unlocked? Has anyone's been unlocked on the same day/ following day? Thanks :smile:
To Peju - sure, use the same experience, but try find a variety from that experience that you can use. Also, they want anything - when you led a team at school, work, voluntary experience, why you chose a certain research proj for your diss (as an example of decision making), there is a sheet on google with examples to draw from somewhere that I had up while I was doing it

And just in general, I think on here people are thinking into detail about the questions a bit too much? Prepare of course, but you won't be able to guess all the questions so the best advice is to just think generally... make examples of when you've achieved things linking to all the competencies, google typical strength based interview questions and also work out solid reasons for wanting to work for the civil service. Also work on your body language - although, I'm hoping they realise how awkward this video interview is and don't mark too harshly on that but rather focus on the answers
My body language was so awkward, but really hoping they realise there's no way a video interview can't be awkward... has anyone found it a positive experience yet?
Original post by Peju
Hi fellow people,

For those that have already done the Video Interview or those that can answer this question,

Is it possible to use the same work experience for different types of questions? And this does NOT necessarily mean giving the same answers to different questions asked but I mean by applying the SAME Experience but through a different role.

I hope that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you can. During the same work experience you generally face many different situations and you carry out different tasks. Makes sense to use it several times, if needed.
My body language was so awkward, but really hoping they realise there's no way a video interview can't be awkward... has anyone found it a positive experience yet?

Tbh I felt like I got an ego boost from just talking about myself. Also, I just tried to act confident no matter what my answer was, as getting into 'role' kind of caused me to package simple answers in a fancier way.
I can understand people finding it a little awkward if they're not use to being on video, but this really isn't much different from a presenter being recorded and broadcasted is it? You don't know your audience but you are presenting a topic which people will judge you on. It would be better to think of this as a presentation (directed by the questions) than an actual interview, although it serves the same purpose as an interview in this case. I got an extension to my deadline due to the website being down which is helpful.
Sorry I have just seen this so not sure if someone else has answered but yes, the time differs per q! and some questions you have longer to answer than others

Thank you really appreciate it. :smile:

although I am in loops with how they're going to apply my reasonable adjustments. They keep contradicting themselves.. it is not helping at all :frown:
Just got an invite for the video interview, this is one of my backup positions but eager to know the general format
Well that was disgusting! I stumbled through half my questions, my answers weren't very coherent and I didn't use up all the time given on most questions.

Anyone know when the results are due?
Just finished the video interview - found it harder than other's I'd done due to the small amount of thinking time and the phrasing of the questions being a bit more subtle than usual. Rambled a bit (a lot) during my answers and probably wasn't specific enough most of the time but didn't have any major horrorshow moments so I am reasonably pleased .

Tip: a lot of the 'strength-based' ('are you good at this, why?') questions can easily include competency examples in the answer even if they don't specifically ask for it - it's a good way of filling the time and providing evidence to back your claims.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending