The Student Room Group

Ukcat - vr

Hey guys
I ace the True false questions pretty well, but the comprehension questions are challenging. Would you suggest to read the passage first and thoroughly and then answer the question or look at the question and scan the answer?

Thanks
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guys
I ace the True false questions pretty well, but the comprehension questions are challenging. Would you suggest to read the passage first and thoroughly and then answer the question or look at the question and scan the answer?

Thanks

I'd suggest looking at the questions first, picking out key words in the question and then scanning the passage to find the answer. *
Hey guys

Thanks

Yeah, I had the same struggle. Those wordy questions are a nightmare because you have to read all the options properly and then go fishing in the text. When they relate to the same topic then it's fine because you might only need to read one paragraph to select the best one but when they ask you to select one which can't be deduced from the text, it can take 10 minutes to go to the bottom of it. I found the easiest thing is to read the text quickly first to see what is where and then zoom in on the relevant paragraphs afterwards once I have read the options.
Original post by UKCATrocks
Yeah, I had the same struggle. Those wordy questions are a nightmare because you have to read all the options properly and then go fishing in the text. When they relate to the same topic then it's fine because you might only need to read one paragraph to select the best one but when they ask you to select one which can't be deduced from the text, it can take 10 minutes to go to the bottom of it. I found the easiest thing is to read the text quickly first to see what is where and then zoom in on the relevant paragraphs afterwards once I have read the options.

By readinf through the text, you mean like skimming through it and not too detailed right?

BTW, i dont like your username:colonhash:, vvv untrue
By readinf through the text, you mean like skimming through it and not too detailed right?

BTW, i dont like your username:colonhash:, vvv untrue

Yeah, as in read quickly.
I'll change it to UKCATsucks just for you :smile:
for free statements, do you read all options then scan the text, or go through/eliminate the options one by one?
Original post by Hugh Laurie
for free statements, do you read all options then scan the text, or go through/eliminate the options one by one?

Guess an option, flag*them and move on. It's better to work through more questions and get more marks that was than spend too much time on these.*
Original post by Hugh Laurie

The problem with free statements is that often you have to pick the one that is true out of 4, or the one that is false. So in essence it is equivalent to 4 T/F questions, though once you have found one answer which works you don't have to go through all of them.

To determine whether a statement is true or not you need to have an idea of the type of info which is in the text so that you can look at them in detail. So what I found is that it is easier to read the text quickly to get an idea of what is where, and then focus on one statement, looking at the relevant paragraphs,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending