The Student Room Group

Article: Eight things you need to know about BTEC

My daughter took the BTEC route after changing schools at 13. She was to sit her science GCSE's at age 14. However, the new school didn't offer any other alternative exam to the BTEC.
It is my daughters desire to become a psychiatrist for which she will have to become a doctor first. We have been told many times, by various universities, that they will not accept BTEC. These uni courses are much in demand and basically the unis can cherry pick whom they select for entry.
Apparently the reason that btecs don't cut the mustard is not to do with the level of intelligence. It is purely that traditional exams prepare you for the organisational skills and of being able to decipher relevant information to take notes (these will be heavily relied upon), something that BTEC exams don't cover as thoroughly.
Sadly, my daughter has now decided that she will have to go back to square one and start all over again only this time taking the traditional route. This will add years to her already lengthy training to reach her desired goal.
Reply 2
Original post by Texstyler
My daughter took the BTEC route after changing schools at 13. She was to sit her science GCSE's at age 14. However, the new school didn't offer any other alternative exam to the BTEC.
It is my daughters desire to become a psychiatrist for which she will have to become a doctor first. We have been told many times, by various universities, that they will not accept BTEC. These uni courses are much in demand and basically the unis can cherry pick whom they select for entry.
Apparently the reason that btecs don't cut the mustard is not to do with the level of intelligence. It is purely that traditional exams prepare you for the organisational skills and of being able to decipher relevant information to take notes (these will be heavily relied upon), something that BTEC exams don't cover as thoroughly.
Sadly, my daughter has now decided that she will have to go back to square one and start all over again only this time taking the traditional route. This will add years to her already lengthy training to reach her desired goal.

Medicine is a special case. BTECs are perfectly good for a lot of courses, I completed an IT BTEC in College and went on to achieve a BSc and MSc in Computer Science, I had 6-8 exams in each of 4 years and did fine so I disagree that BTEC students can't be good at exams, if you know the subject well the format of assessment shouldn't matter.

Your daughter could easilyyyy get onto a Psychology degree with a BTEC and then perhaps could progress to a MSc, PhD or DClinPsy (Doctorate in Clinical Psychology) to go into Clinical Psychology which could be an option as a similar career route OR could do Graduate Medicine after a first 3 year bachelors degree, to pursue Psychiatry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending