The Student Room Group

fp1 complex numbers

Scroll to see replies

Just to clarify would the answer for the first question be X= 3, 1+/- root-1 or i all over 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Foreverton
Just to clarify would the answer for the first question be X= 3, 1+/- root-1 or i all over 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 23

I get z=1+λi z=1+\lambda i , i'll check.
Are you having trouble getting started?
I get w=λ+i w=\lambda + i .
My method was quite long but with these answers coming out so nicely it looks right, although I haven't checked.
EDIT. These are correct.
Do you need a hand on how to start?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
I get z=1+λi z=1+\lambda i , i'll check.
Are you having trouble getting started?
I get w=λ+i w=\lambda + i .
My method was quite long but with these answers coming out so nicely it looks right, although I haven't checked.
EDIT. These are correct.
Do you need a hand on how to start?

Yes please. The answer in the book is only the answer to z.
Just summarise what you did to get to the answer in steps like an algorithm and I'll follow through.

Posted from TSR Mobile.
Reply 25
Original post by Chittesh14
Yes please. The answer in the book is only the answer to z.
Just summarise what you did to get to the answer in steps like an algorithm and I'll follow through.

Posted from TSR Mobile.

To begin with I found w in terms of lambda and z, from the second equation. Then I subbed in the expression for w into the first equation and just simplified. It is very fiddly and your algebra needs to be good, and make sure you don't make sign errors with the i's.
Reply 26
That's close, sorry I was late to see this.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469128321.532462.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, does using the quadratic formula work too?
Reply 27
Original post by timebent
Right, does using the quadratic formula work too?

Completing the square and using formula are equivalent, they both will always work for any quadratic.
Reply 28
Original post by B_9710
Completing the square and using formula are equivalent, they both will always work for any quadratic.

Is it quicker to complete the square?
Reply 29

Depends, for simple examples it can be. But sometimes if there are square roots and complex numbers as coefficients,the quadratic formula would probably be quicker. I normally complete the square.

I would e used the quadratic formula in the exam. It seems much faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by B_9710
Depends, for simple examples it can be. But sometimes if there are square roots and complex numbers as coefficients,the quadratic formula would probably be quicker. I normally complete the square.

ok thanks
I would e used the quadratic formula in the exam. It seems much faster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok :biggrin:
Original post by B_9710
To begin with I found w in terms of lambda and z, from the second equation. Then I subbed in the expression for w into the first equation and just simplified. It is very fiddly and your algebra needs to be good, and make sure you don't make sign errors with the i's.

Where did I go wrong...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469140895.033846.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Where did I go wrong...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469140895.033846.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've got it, notice there is a common factor on the numerator of λ2+1 \lambda ^2 + 1 .
Original post by B_9710

Ignore the last 2 steps I know they're wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just send me your answer please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B_9710
You've got it, notice there is a common factor on the numerator of λ2+1 \lambda ^2 + 1 .

Ignore my next 2 comments, wait where is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B_9710

Love you. Solved it, **** yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Love you. Solved it, **** yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yy:
Original post by B_9710
:yy:

I've got another question, but I really can't be asked. Maths is just ****ing long in this review exercise. Each question takes ages lol (and the amount of times I get each question wrong makes it worse)...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest