The Student Room Group

What if I don't get an offer based on my AS but do well in A2?

I'm applying to dentistry and still haven't got my AS results. What if I do bad in AS and don't get any offers (btw my Bio/Chem don't really count towards my Yr 13 results as I will be retaking but my grades in it will be considered for the application) but I do really well in Year 13 A2. Can I still get an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by latenightmadness
I'm applying to dentistry and still haven't got my AS results. What if I do bad in AS and don't get any offers (btw my Bio/Chem don't really count towards my Yr 13 results as I will be retaking but my grades in it will be considered for the application) but I do really well in Year 13 A2. Can I still get an offer?

That is if you take a gap year to reapply.
Take and gap then reapply
Don't think dentistry goes through adjustment on results day so you can't just get in if you originally didn't get an offer
Reply 3
Does dentistry go through clearing? If so, still go through the UCAS application next year. Even if you do get 5 UCAS rejections. Sounds grim but if you do get the grades at the end then you could potentially get a place. If not, then take a gap year out. My plan anyways...
Likeeveryone else above me, reapplying during a hap year (provided you gwt the grades) would be best. You can try applying in yr13, but if your results are not that good you may not get an interview. Dentistry is one of those courses that requires interviews so I doubt you can enter through clearing.

Do you have a careers advisor at your 6th form you can talk to?
It's quite common for students to apply for competitive courses the year after finishing school. Sometimes people apply later because they needed strong A-level grades to pull up their academics. Other times people decide on dentistry too late to prepare properly, so they take the extra time to get ready for the application. This has a two key advantages:

1) You have your A-level grades attained - if they're good enough it will show your academic capability

2) It gives extra time for reading and work experience. You can use the time to develop your personal experiences to strengthen your personal statement and improve your performance at interview.

Usually if you reapply you need to apply to different dental schools the second time - this is something you may wish to bear in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest