The Student Room Group

Can you change the past?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Doctor Who
It's rather simple really. I'll give you a ride in the Tardis.

Ah, thanks Doctor Who :biggrin: Very kind of you - can we go back to the Cretaceous period first?!
Original post by Captain Jack
Ah, thanks Doctor Who :biggrin: Very kind of you - can we go back to the Cretaceous period first?!

Of course we can! Ready for an adventure???
Might seem like a simple, silly question, but I wondered what people make of it when you really stop to think about it.

Can you change the past?

This is a really interesting question. There's a lot of debate in metaphysics as to the 'status' of the past, present, and future. Philosophers disagree on a few things:

- Does the present only exist; i.e, does the past now not exist any more, and does the future somehow exist (whether pre-determined or not?)

- Is the idea of backwards causation coherent; ie., could we do something now that alters the past somewhat? And if not, why is the future unique in this way?

- If we, as beings, are stuck on an arrow of time moving past to future, could there be other perceptions of time? I.e, could some beings exist going (as we would see it) future to past? People think the arrow of time is connected to thermodynamic laws and entropy, which may change direction in the future. What would happen to past-future causality then?

I haven't really answered your question, like a classic philosopher :biggrin:. But basically while philosophers agree that we probably can't change the past, they don't agree on whether it could be possible.
Original post by Professor Oak
This is a really interesting question. There's a lot of debate in metaphysics as to the 'status' of the past, present, and future. Philosophers disagree on a few things:

- Does the present only exist; i.e, does the past now not exist any more, and does the future somehow exist (whether pre-determined or not?)

- Is the idea of backwards causation coherent; ie., could we do something now that alters the past somewhat? And if not, why is the future unique in this way?

- If we, as beings, are stuck on an arrow of time moving past to future, could there be other perceptions of time? I.e, could some beings exist going (as we would see it) future to past? People think the arrow of time is connected to thermodynamic laws and entropy, which may change direction in the future. What would happen to past-future causality then?

I haven't really answered your question, like a classic philosopher :biggrin:. But basically while philosophers agree that we probably can't change the past, they don't agree on whether it could be possible.

Indeed. Changing the past can have devastating consequences on the present. Only true Time Lords can understand the laws of time travel! Mere mortals' heads would explode if they knew the truth!
Of course we can! Ready for an adventure???

YES!!!

YES!!!

Go to the supply cupboard and I shall be waiting for you there!
Go to the supply cupboard and I shall be waiting for you there!

OK!!

Reply 27
Well winner writes the history so in a way yeah...
Arguably the only reason we perceive time in this way is becaude of the way our brain contains memories. At any give time, our brain contains memories of events that happened between that point and their birth. We only really remember the arrow of time in one direction.

You could almost see life as starting at death, and slowly forgetting eveything that happens. Which potentially makes more sense, seeing how descisions are made consciously after our brain makes them.
*gasp*

Maybe, although I'm not entirely sure how a time machine would really work. I guess it would need to be able to reverse energy.

I have heard that some famous scientists (inter alia Stephen Hawking) considering time travelling possible by using black holes. In the other hand everything what is soaking in those holes would never comes back...

We can use the 'Super Man principle': circling around the earth so fast (please note: against earth's rotation) that the rotation of earth is backward-going and thus the time is going backward...

Even if people are able to create such machines, we cannot guarantee people's safety.*
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't change the past. But you can make/change your present and future. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending