The Student Room Group

Should I do an A Level in Chemistry first before applying to graduate medicine

I have an undergraduate degree in Neuroscience, a postgraduate masters in Clinical Neuroscience and A Levels in Biology, Psychology and English (AAB). Should I apply to do an access course in A Level Chemistry before applying to do Medicine? I am currently looking into ways to expand my healthcare/social experience anyway so should I also make time for this course as well?
Reply 1
Original post by ChocolateGoku
I have an undergraduate degree in Neuroscience, a postgraduate masters in Clinical Neuroscience and A Levels in Biology, Psychology and English (AAB). Should I apply to do an access course in A Level Chemistry before applying to do Medicine? I am currently looking into ways to expand my healthcare/social experience anyway so should I also make time for this course as well?

A lot of medical schools don't really take into account your A levels, such as warwick and newcastle. Some say you don't need chemistry at A level as long as your degree had sufficient chemistry in it. It really depends on the medical school and what level degree you have.
Reply 2
Original post by ChocolateGoku

Wow I'm in the same position, how would you take a level chemistry will you be doing it privately at home & pay or at a institution?

I'd say go for doing alevel chem it expands so many more courses and job opportunities!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
A lot of GEM courses don't care for your A-level results and instead focus on entrance exams (GAMSAT, UKCAT, BMAT) as a means to test applicants capabilities. Unless your heart is set on applying for a GEM course which does require you to have A-level Chem I wouldn't bother.
Reply 4
It doesn't really benefit you in the course itself, in my opinion. I did chem at a level, and I don't feel like I use that much of it in the medicine degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending