The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

good luck for your exams everyone who is doing a levels

kinda feel like i'm gonna miss my grades but OH WELL
Original post by lowza
good luck for your exams everyone who is doing a levels

kinda feel like i'm gonna miss my grades but OH WELL

I'm feeling pretty worried as well! Just feeling like I haven't done enough revision ig.
Good luck to all those of you sitting exams in order to meet your conditional offers! Keep your eye on the prize and do the best you can - that's all you can do at the end of the day! :moon:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good luck to all those of you sitting exams in order to meet your conditional offers! Keep your eye on the prize and do the best you can - that's all you can do at the end of the day! :moon:

Thank you! :smile: I had a question and idk if you're the right person to ask but I'm going to anyway *shrug*. If you don't actually have a diagnosis of anything (I have anxiety and probably some kind of sensory disorder), how do you actually access uni mental health support? Like who do you go to and most importantly would they actually believe me??
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Thank you! :smile: I had a question and idk if you're the right person to ask but I'm going to anyway *shrug*. If you don't actually have a diagnosis of anything (I have anxiety and probably some kind of sensory disorder), how do you actually access uni mental health support? Like who do you go to and most importantly would they actually believe me??

Good question. I think all uni disability offices would require a doctor's letter in order for you to access their direct formal support and Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). That said, each college has its own welfare team (Dean, Junior Dean, chaplain, some colleges have a Tutor for Women, etc.) and you don't need proof of diagnosis or any diagnosis in order to see/access them. You don't have to be registered with the disability office in order to get exam adjustments, but you DO need a letter from an Oxford GP (i.e. the GP practice associated with your college).

Hope this is of some help. No one felt I needed proper disability support whilst at Oxford, so I don't know all the ins and outs I'm afraid :nah:

Good luck with your exams, I've followed your posts for a long time and they have been very entertaining. I had a few issues when I was at Oxford a while ago, and although not officially diagnosed by a GP my tutor signed me up for university counselling as she recognised something was not as it should be. Hopefully things have not changed too much since. When a serious family issue arose, my tutor also arranged for me to rusticate for a year and without that extra year I probably would not have got my degree. Point being, your personal tutor really is there to help you and monitor how you are in terms of well being, don't be afraid to access that help or to raise issues if you are struggling.

Like @The_Lonely_Goatherd says, you will have an open-access, college-based Welfare Team, and many include a Chaplain, designated tutors and Peer Support Workers (who will usually have a certain minimum amount of approved counselling/support training and who often include individuals with a special interest e.g. in LGBTQ+).

Afaik, the University-wide professional counselling service is also open to self-referral. They run 1:1, small group and Skype based counselling. The waiting times and availability is mostly better than for NHS services, but not necessarily brilliant. Otherwise, you can access the usual NHS services via the GP practice you will register with in Oxford. That's where you might get anxiety medication if appropriate.

As far as your possible sensory issues go, it sounds like you are not sure what these are/whether they would be diagnosable? So a formal assessment might be helpful in any case? My experience of Disability Support for a physical problem was that they did need a GP letter describing the functional implications of the disability (which is fair enough given that they need to know what aids/adaptions were needed), but they were not obstructive or demanding (not like the PIP process or anything!). After a bit of paperwork, they provided the necessary adaptions promptly and without quibbling over the expense.
Original post by perfecseanist
Anyone got some tips for applying for Economics and Management in regards to the interview, PS, or the TSA? I'm applying for 2019 entry :biggrin:

TSA practice is critical. Only after that should you really start thinking about interview prep.

I think it's probably the 50 question multiple choice which trips a lot more people up and which is devilishly difficult (especially having done it myself) - and which all colleges pay rather more attention too. Some don't even mark many of the TSA part 2s (the essays). Plus, writing those essays is generally reasonably easy after you've done a couple of practice essays and learned how to structure them (2 sides MAX) - but it is absolutely vital that you do know how to structure the TSA part 2.

Nevertheless, E&M seems to take into account the TSA part 1 (50 questions) quite highly and the average is generally really high, so it requires a load of practice using past papers, books and even online psychometric resources to improve on. The competition for E&M has been so high recently that anything less than a very good score (probably 68 ish) will severely deplete your chances of getting in, especially as Oxford uses it as a way of distinguishing between all candidates academically on a level playing field. Without seeming over the top, I genuinely would say that there are probably a lot of people, like myself, who would be unable to get the required score on the TSA 2 even with maximum preparation which is what makes it so unbelievably tough and selective.

For both interview and the essay obviously knowing contemporary (and non-contemporary, if viable) examples of points is key. Maths seems to be highly emphasised at interview.
Any Medicine offer holders here? If so, a little message on how you found the experience, PS, BMAT and the illusive interview tips would be very much appreciated!! :smile:
Does anyone happen to know if Oxford offers are usually updated on UCAS when they open on results day?
Original post by laurenshuff
Does anyone happen to know if Oxford offers are usually updated on UCAS when they open on results day?

I think they try and get them updated by 8am but it's not guaranteed so it might not update til the afternoon.
What did you get at GCSE?
- I didn't study gcse cause I was in VN at the time and VN doesn't have gcse. But I had like 8.7/10 average in all subjects.

What A levels are you studying?
- Math, Physics, Computer Science

If you did AS levels, what did you get?
- Still waiting for results by this August

What are you predicted?
- Hoping A*, A* (Computer science only has 1 A-level exam)

What course will you be applying for?
- Computer science ( I interest in cybersecurity and AI)

What extra-curricular activities do you do?
- Part-time job, self-programming some computing projects, having fun at social events although my sister wants me to focus more in more inspirational events like Hackathon or Oxford entrepeneur. I also do sporting + playing piano.

Any colleges you're interested in? And why?
- I kinda like Univ for good location ( I can walk to Cowley or City centre within 10 minutes) and Univ has a kind of having charity, social culture. I also like Magdelen for competition. Idk much about the culture of Oriel college so can someone enlighten me, I'd appreciate.

Why Oxford and not Cambridge?
- At first, it was just a silly love story. But then I found out because Oxford is quite prestigious so it gives me an edge for my later on career.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Clodagh2017
Huge Congratulations to you ! Delighted to hear .... lots of happiness to you going forward.

Sorry for the awfully late reply - I've barely checked TSR since exams ended, but thank you so much!
:wavey:

Now that it's August, tiz time for the wise old sage that is TLG to share her pearls of A2 results day wisdom (forgive me for missing the IB results day, I never know when to expect it to happen :getmecoat: ) :shakecane:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MEET YOUR OFFER CONDITIONS

Congratulations! The hard work has paid off! Now sit back, relax and wait for all the info to come from your college, and to hopefully receive a message from your college parents :awesome:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MISS YOUR OFFER CONDITIONS, BUT ARE LET IN ANYWAY

That's how all the best people do it :wink: :king1: :ahee: (Unbiased opinion, obviously :ninja: )

Congrats on being let in anyway. Don't doubt your intelligence, or let haters hate on you. You deserve to be there and your grades are not a reflection on you or your intelligence :nah:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MISS YOUR OFFER CONDITIONS, BUT ARE REJECTED

Ok, firstly - :jumphug:

It may hurt or sting at the moment, but remember "this too shall pass". We are fortunate in the UK to have amazing academics across a number of stellar departments, across a range of universities (many of which are cutting edge - perhaps moreso than Oxford! - and world class in their own right). Almost everyone who ends up elsewhere - for whatever reason - ends up having a great time at their uni. You'll have a lighter workload, meet great people as you would at any uni, and eventually you'll probably be relieved that Oxford didn't take you!

As per my comment above to others: grades are not a reflection of you and are not the best way of measuring intelligence. If you're clever enough to get an Oxford offer, then you're clever enough to succeed at other unis. The world is still your oyster, so grab these new and alternate opportunities with both hands. It may well be a blessing in disguise in the end :yep:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :grouphugs: :nutcase: :smartass:
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a group chat for offer holders? I was in one last year because of people I met at interview, but now that I've deferred a year I don't know anyone lmao... and also I never use Facebook so I don't really know how it works? ... yeah. Help would be appreciated!
Original post by inthenile
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a group chat for offer holders? I was in one last year because of people I met at interview, but now that I've deferred a year I don't know anyone lmao... and also I never use Facebook so I don't really know how it works? ... yeah. Help would be appreciated!

There's a FB group called "Oxford University Offer Holders 2018" which you can join - people have made group chats through that.
Guess I'm a little late to this - not that I can actually remember if I posted in this before :colondollar:

What did you get at GCSE?
9A* 2A and 1 B - lol in English Language. So irritated I retook it and did worst (???) and ended up with an A in one paper and an E in the other *Shrug*

What A levels did you get?
Gap year - reapplied
A* Maths
A* Biology
A Chemistry (off by 1 mark for an A* or 0.33%!!!)
A Further Maths (just)
and A* an EPQ

What are you predicted?
A* A* A A

What course will you be applying for?

Biological Sciences

What extra-curricular activities do you do?

Pff. Not allowed to play sports anymore from an injury. Terrible at instruments but I guess Debating and general knowledge

Any colleges you're interested in? And why?

St Cats - such friendly people + central heating

Why Oxford and not Cambridge?

They don't look at individual marks on papers. Oxford more walkable and I prefer studying Bio straight to NatSci
Tiz Sunday, meaning Oxford get A2 results today! :eek:

Good luck everyone! :woo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU
This is an advisory post about A-level confirmation.

UCAS transmitted results to UK Universities over the weekend and meetings are held during the early part of this week to review the admissions position. For Oxford, this involves decisions over whether to confirm or not confirm places, depending on results. Allied to this are decisions over the college destination of Open Offer holders.

There is a strict embargo on A-level results and if Universities breach the rules they risk not being granted early access to results in future years as a sanction.

In view of this, we won't be able to respond to any posts or messages relating to current offer holders until after Thursday and are also barred from making any comment about the admissions position.

We hope that this information is helpful. We appreciate that you have had a long wait and the last few days are particularly difficult. On Thursday, you should be able to see on UCAS Track whether your place is confirmed or not from 8am (NB we don't have any control over this and so the timing is for information only).

If you hold an offer from us, a letter will follow in the post (UK applicants) or you will be contacted by email (overseas applicants). These communications should match what is showing on UCAS Track. If for any reason they do not, you should contact our admissions office asap.

We send out one of three template letters: confirmation of a place, non-confirmation, or details of the other college confirming a place should this be applicable.

To contact us, please email [email protected] quoting your UCAS id number.

Brasenose Admissions
Apologies to most that this doesn’t apply to. But anyone that got into teddy hall is there a facebook group or anything?

Latest

Trending

Trending