The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't be sure, but I'd guess the fruit, since it would then have been used as an exemplar to demonstrate what colour was meant by association with the fruit.
Reply 2
The fruit probably came first, but it was most likely named after the colour - In england, where assumedly the word comes from, we would've had the colour before the fruit came to our dismal shores, but I have little doubt that the fruit, or some variation of it was growing long before the word was used.

however, according to a quick google etymology search:
Orange:

.1300, from O.Fr. orenge (12c.), from M.L. pomum de orenge, from It. arancia, originally narancia (Venetian naranza), alt. of Ar. naranj, from Pers. narang, from Skt. naranga-s "orange tree," of uncertain origin. Loss of initial n- probably due to confusion with definite article (e.g. une narange, una narancia), but perhaps infl. by Fr. or "gold." The tree's original range probably was northern India. The Persian orange, grown widely in southern Europe after its introduction in Italy 11c., was bitter; sweet oranges were brought to Europe 15c. from India by Portuguese traders and quickly displaced the bitter variety, but only Mod.Gk. still seems to distinguish the bitter (nerantzi) from the sweet (portokali "Portuguese") orange. Portuguese, Spanish, Arab, and Dutch sailors planted citrus trees along trade routes to prevent scurvy. On his second voyage in 1493, Christopher Columbus brought the seeds of oranges, lemons and citrons to Haiti and the Caribbean. Introduced in Florida (along with lemons) in 1513 by Sp. explorer Juan Ponce de Leon. Introduced to Hawaii 1792. Not used as the name of a color until 1542.
Reply 3
Oops. I misread the question.
Reply 4
supertramp
Oops. I misread the question.

Uh what did you think the question was?
Reply 5
well i think there is only one true way to settle it;

fight :biggrin:

i think a crayon may have to represent the colour
Reply 6
Eau
Which came first - the fruit or the colour?

Why do you think that may be?

The mobile phone network.

They're never off the TV. Oh, and there's an advert for them in the top right hand corner of my screen.
Reply 7
i point everyone to the last line of my previous post: Not used as the name of a color until 1542. - well after the fruit was about and being called 'orange' or a variation thereof.
Reply 8
the fruit for definite.

many ancient civilisations didnt recognise the colour orange at all, it's a more modern innovation.
Reply 9
Uh what did you think the question was?

I thought it said what do you personally think of first...

Yes, I should be ashamed.

(And even more ashamed that I thought of the network first anyway.)
Reply 10
isn't the word orange a French word?
Reply 11
supertramp

That's what I also assumed.
Reply 12
It's the colour for me.
Reply 13
supertramp

I thought that was the question too when I read the poll bit but then I read the post :p:

I also think of the network first when I hear the word Orange!
Reply 14
OK I voted incorrectly. My bf has pointed out the error of my ways.

Clearly the colour came first because the electromagnetic spectrum has been around since the Big Bang and thus the colour came first.
Sundous
isn't the word orange a French word?

I think, at least in terms of the fruit it comes from an asian language, sanskrit, tamil or something.
Reply 16
iTalya

Clearly the colour came first because the electromagnetic spectrum has been around since the Big Bang and thus the colour came first.

Yes, but it wasn't actually called 'Orange', was it? Are we only considering linguistic labelling or just pure existence of the colour physically?
Reply 17
Cortez
I thought that was the question too when I read the poll bit but then I read the post :p:

I also think of the network first when I hear the word Orange!

:ditto: - Except I thought of a glass of orange juice... probably because I’ve been having some every night for the past week!
Reply 18
iTalya

Nice one...

Actually guys, just interpret the question, Orange - fruit or colour first?, however you like.

It's the explanation that's interesting, really. But so far, I'm impressed with the one I'm quoting.
Reply 19
iTalya

but what was before the big bang?

Latest

Trending

Trending