The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics B Paper 1, 2 & 3: 9EB0 01, 02 & 03 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LewisR99
I'd agree, I went for an increase in supply as Extract A said competition had increased. Only real justification I thought was enough to one side to decide it was supply.

Anyway, seemed difficult to try and quote any data or facts in my answers. Anyone else have the same problem?

Yeah, I went for a shift in supply too! Data and facts were quite hard to incorporate, but for the Timberyard company and objectives I talked about maintaining a reputation and used their award thingy so much lmao
It had to be a shift in the right of the demand curve due to it stating changing tastes which is down as a determinant of demand in the specification
Reply 62
Thank God i wasn't the only one that found it hard!
Q1 I had no idea how to do operating profit margin, ran out of time on a few Q's so I couldn't explain fully. Brill!
Original post by JoshL2
Thank God i wasn't the only one that found it hard!
Q1 I had no idea how to do operating profit margin, ran out of time on a few Q's so I couldn't explain fully. Brill!

You didn't actually have to work out the operating profit you just had to work out if the operating profit had gone up 20% you had to work out what 20% on top of the number given and then divide it by turnover
Reply 64
Yeah i worked out operating profit but then wasn't sure what to do so i divided it by number of new stores for some stupid reason.

I also did a shift to the right
The answer for operating profit was around 13% and the answer for percentage change was -19%
Reply 66
I got 13.88% or something and -19% or something aswell
Original post by m_wharrier
The answer for operating profit was around 13% and the answer for percentage change was -19%

LMAO if my supply and demand diagram went to ****, at least i got full marks for the operating profit and percentage change
[QUOTE="Jerome85;71923764"]LMAO if my supply and demand diagram went to ****, at least i got full marks for the operating profit and percentage change[/QUOTES

got full marks on maths and messed up demand by shifting to the left
. Does anyone have a full set of roughly what the questions were ?
Reply 69
How did the market structure affect the pricing strategy?
Original post by MCKP
How did the market structure affect the pricing strategy?

I put because there were 3 mainly dominant firms the market structure was an oligopoly and they were likely to charge premium pricing because of strong brand loyalty and that this could be because their coffee will be more inelastic etc
It had to be a shift in the right of the demand curve due to it stating changing tastes which is down as a determinant of demand in the specification

My book says the entry and exit of firms also shifts supply. It said there was an increase in the number of coffee shops. Is this wrong because your point is correct?
[QUOTE="jsharman;71924440"]
Original post by Jerome85
LMAO if my supply and demand diagram went to ****, at least i got full marks for the operating profit and percentage change[/QUOTES

got full marks on maths and messed up demand by shifting to the left
. Does anyone have a full set of roughly what the questions were ?

Assess the extent to which the coffee market can be seen as contestable (10)
Is market share the most important business objective for that company
Assess the impact of falling crude oil prices on the uk economy (20)
Evaluate the impact on the Uk of increased regulation of the banking industry (20)
My book says the entry and exit of firms also shifts supply. It said there was an increase in the number of coffee shops. Is this wrong because your point is correct?

I would say that is completely correct if the question hadn't specifically mentioned tastes I would've shifted supply if the question didn't mention tastes
Original post by jsharman

Assess the extent to which the coffee market can be seen as contestable (10)
Is market share the most important business objective for that company
Assess the impact of falling crude oil prices on the uk economy (20)
Evaluate the impact on the Uk of increased regulation of the banking industry (20)[/QUOT

Thanks . what did people put for the non price competition question?
For the illustrate question - was it a shift in demand to the right? ( tastes - 4m )

And i put customer satisfaction as an alternative for ' Is market share the most important business objective for that company' so you reckon thats alright?

Also how did everyone find the last question/ what did you write? I thought it was a really tough question and my answer was an absolute disaster :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
I would say that is completely correct if the question hadn't specifically mentioned tastes I would've shifted supply if the question didn't mention tastes

Alright, cheers. I feel a tiny bit hard done by but ah well. Only a few marks, hopefully they won't matter.
Wasnt it a monopoly as it had a really high number of stores in comparision to the rest?
Alright, cheers. I feel a tiny bit hard done by but ah well. Only a few marks, hopefully they won't matter.

I might not be right but if they say In the spec tastes is a determinant of demand and they mention it in the question I don't see how the answer could be any different but I can see why a lot of people would think supply would increase

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending