The Student Room Group

UEA A100 2017 Entry

Hey everyone!

I thought it was about time that there was a 2017 entry applicants thread for UEA! Personally, I really love UEA, I actually really like the brutalist architecture :lol:

UEA's Medicine course is integrated, so there is early clinical contact, using a mixture of teaching methods, including PBL and small group teaching. And in GMC surveys, are shown to produce the most prepared foundation doctors :h:
Website is here: https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine

UEA rank your GCSEs, A-Levels and UKCAT 33 : 33 : 33. You should be predicted a minimum of AAA, graduates should be predicted a 2:i or above, and can't have below that in any full educational history, so a masters degree/PhD won't make up for a 2:ii. Applicants can be considered if they are retaking a year and achieved at least ABB on their first attempt.
All applicants require at minimum 6A grades at GCSE to include English Language (although, if you have an A in English Literature, you require a minimum of a B in English Language), Maths and two sciences. SJT is not scored, and it is unusual for candidates with a UKCAT less than 600 to reach the interview stage, and your best 9 GCSEs will be reviewed (including the specified subjects).

Further details of entry requirements are found on the UEA website.

UEA will invite somewhere around the top 600 applicants, and will offer places to ~300 of them for 154 Home/EU places and 13 International places. Interviews usually take place between December and March.
Interviews are in the MMI format, with 7 stations, each being 5 minutes long.

Good luck for everyone applying! Let's hope we get offers, because UEA is a fantastic place, and seems like a fantastic course! :biggrin:

EDIT: Because people keep on asking about the personal statement, and there seems to be some confusion due to conflicting information, I e-mailed admissions asking about it, and this was their response: 'We review the personal statements informally during the first two rounds of screening, it is then reviewed again during the interview process'
Hope that clears things up!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck guys! I was going to make the thread this week but you got in before me. I'm a current student so if you have any questions, feel free to message or quote me.

UEA is fantastic and the medical school is very good at what it does.
Reply 2
Original post by Mrs House
Good luck guys! I was going to make the thread this week but you got in before me. I'm a current student so if you have any questions, feel free to message or quote me.

UEA is fantastic and the medical school is very good at what it does.

Thank you very much!
I was hoping we'd have some current students come along help :biggrin:

If i have any questions, I'll be sure to tag you :u:
Reply 3
I found you from the other med thread haha. I haz 7A* and 3A at GCSE. With my 660 ukcat do i stand a decent chance of an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by chrisdale98
I found you from the other med thread haha. I haz 7A* and 3A at GCSE. With my 660 ukcat do i stand a decent chance of an interview?

I think you do :h:
I was speaking to an admissions tutor at their own day in the summer, and she said that my GCSEs were likely good enough, and we have very similar GCSEs :u:
Your UKCAT is good, so i think you'll have a good chance of interview here. Looking through previous threads, I've seen people with lower GCSEs and UKCAT score get invited to interview :smile:
That said, I'm not completely certain, and in the end it's really up to you, so if you think it's worth the risk, definitely go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by Gogregg
I think you do :h:
I was speaking to an admissions tutor at their own day in the summer, and she said that my GCSEs were likely good enough, and we have very similar GCSEs :u:
Your UKCAT is good, so i think you'll have a good chance of interview here. Looking through previous threads, I've seen people with lower GCSEs and UKCAT score get invited to interview :smile:
That said, I'm not completely certain, and in the end it's really up to you, so if you think it's worth the risk, definitely go for it!

I cant think of any other ones that will give me a better chance! If other people with lower scores got interviewed it should be a fairly safe option. Going leicester liverpool birmingham and uea. All will give me a good chance of interview, but none stonewall if u know what i mean. Im scared hahaha
Original post by chrisdale98
I cant think of any other ones that will give me a better chance! If other people with lower scores got interviewed it should be a fairly safe option. Going leicester liverpool birmingham and uea. All will give me a good chance of interview, but none stonewall if u know what i mean. Im scared hahaha

Hey Chris,

I'm in a similar situation to you...I achieved 8A*s and 2As at GCSE, have a AAA prediction but semi-flopped the UKCAT with 530 in VR / 690 in QR / 670 in AR / Band 2 in SJT, giving me an average of 630 :-(

I've seen you on the Leicester thread and we're thinking of applying to many of the same unis: Leicester / Liverpool / Birmingham / Bristol / Nottingham / UEA are all on my 'considering' list, praying my GCSEs and Personal Statement can compromise for my UKCAT (since I'm not taking BMAT). Any advice on whether UEA would be a 'safe' option for me?

Thanks, and good luck everyone :-)
I am on enforced gap year didn't get single interview last year.

My stats are 6A* 5A gcse
AAAa achieved A levels
650 average ukcat band 1

ANY THOUGHTS 're UEA
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey Chris,

I'm in a similar situation to you...I achieved 8A*s and 2As at GCSE, have a AAA prediction but semi-flopped the UKCAT with 530 in VR / 690 in QR / 670 in AR / Band 2 in SJT, giving me an average of 630 :-(

I've seen you on the Leicester thread and we're thinking of applying to many of the same unis: Leicester / Liverpool / Birmingham / Bristol / Nottingham / UEA are all on my 'considering' list, praying my GCSEs and Personal Statement can compromise for my UKCAT (since I'm not taking BMAT). Any advice on whether UEA would be a 'safe' option for me?

Original post by BadLashes
I am on enforced gap year didn't get single interview last year.

My stats are 6A* 5A gcse
AAAa achieved A levels
650 average ukcat band 1

ANY THOUGHTS 're UEA

Hey guys :smile:

Both you're GCSEs are good enough but your UKCAT may be on the lower end of selected applicants. It might not be safe but it's worth a shot. If you have a look at the last year thread to see UKCAT that was good enough, that might help!
Reply 9
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey Chris,

I think the ones u chose give u the best chance. U have the same leicester score as me, dont apply i dont need the competition haha jk :smile: avoid nottingham tbh, they have sub section scores. Birmingham would be good, im applying because a girl got in last year from my school with the contextual offer based on schools so ill get it too i should think woop. Uea seems balanced so u can make up for ukcat. Lets hope eh?
I'm a fresher + happy to answer questions. Although ofc I don't know much about the course, I know about the selection procedures etc.

Am quite busy so I'm sorry for any delay in answering your questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I got 5 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's + 710 avg for my ukcat, would u guys say it's wise to apply here? I am not too sure since I believe UEA do look at GCSE's quite a bit.
Reply 12
Original post by Suuny24
I got 5 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's + 710 avg for my ukcat, would u guys say it's wise to apply here? I am not too sure since I believe UEA do look at GCSE's quite a bit.

Youll probably have a very good chance. Nothing ever guaranteed tho :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Suuny24

Definitely a good chance, your GCSEs are good and toe UKCAT is amazing, so it does balance out, also :h:
Reply 14
Hi guys,

I have predicted AAA, a UKCAT of 676 and my 8 GCSES are 7As and 1 A*, do I have a good chance here?
Reply 15
Another typical am I good enough post,
But what do you reckon my chances are with 4A* 6A GCSE and A*A*A predictions with 663.3 UKCAT?😬
Original post by El3398
Another typical am I good enough post,
But what do you reckon my chances are with 4A* 6A GCSE and A*A*A predictions with 663.3 UKCAT?😬

Definitely apply, solid stats :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Mrs House
Definitely apply, solid stats :smile:

Okay, thank you!
I got 690 in my ukcat with VR 580 but QR and AR I got 700 and 790 respectively. Apparently they look at individual sections where you need roughly 600+ so not sure whether it's a risk for me seeing as I got 580 in VR. Any thoughts? Thanks 😊
Reply 19
Original post by kayasparkles
I got 690 in my ukcat with VR 580 but QR and AR I got 700 and 790 respectively. Apparently they look at individual sections where you need roughly 600+ so not sure whether it's a risk for me seeing as I got 580 in VR. Any thoughts? Thanks 😊

Hey, last year their website says there is no cut off value used in the UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest