The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buzzyambee
@Little Tail Chaser @Lizziefickling @beccac94 @Angry cucumber

Hi :3
I'm going to be sending off my sixth form application very soon but I'm concerned that the subjects (along with bio and chem) that I want to take for A-Level would be relevant enough? I'd like to take biology, chemistry, french, politics and core maths. Would universities discriminate a non-science subject as my 3rd option?
Thanks!

I was doing russian but changed to economics to offset physics.
I've since dropped physics to concentrate on the 3 subjects I'm best at. Don't forget that subjects that you chose can be linked in well and give you an interesting view of being a vet. RVC admissions were open about their willingness to consider arts subjects just as much as science or maths. It just has to be a subject you really enjoy.
Hi, i am also looking at being a vet (i am in year 11 currently) but i am struggling with what to pick for my A-levels as i am definitely picking Chemistry, Biology but i am unsure on whether to choose History,English Lit or PE. I am only picking 3 because there are now no AS levels but what if the subject requirements change?
Also with regards to work experience, i am 16 in July so will this limit my options on where i will be able to complete the work experience?
Thanks
Original post by hindleycharl
Hi, i am also looking at being a vet (i am in year 11 currently) but i am struggling with what to pick for my A-levels as i am definitely picking Chemistry, Biology but i am unsure on whether to choose History,English Lit or PE. I am only picking 3 because there are now no AS levels but what if the subject requirements change?
Also with regards to work experience, i am 16 in July so will this limit my options on where i will be able to complete the work experience?
Thanks

If you're unsure on what A levels are acceptable, check the university websites for each one's requirements; apart from Cambridge, I think all other vet schools are fine with your third subject being a non-science provided it's still academic (so history and English lit are fine, but I'm unsure about PE).
Yes, some places will only take 18+ for WEX due to insurance. You're best bet is just to ring round a lot of different places and see where will take you. I volunteered at 2 different establishments that took people on from as young as 14, but I know the RSPCA and many farm practices will only take 18+.
Reply 63
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and I really want to be a vet. I've got a question about work experience. I moved to England from Belgium at the start of year 10. I've been struggling to find work experience for dairy or large animal vets, but I have friends in Belgium who know people in these fields. I've already got a lambing placement and I've got a small animal vets which I've already been to for a week. I've heard that only 1 week of work experience abroad counts so I was just wondering if this was true?
Original post by hindleycharl
Thanks

Hi, welcome to the thread :smile:
I think the best way to choose is by considering what you enjoy the most and what you're likely to do well in. For example, I recently applied to sixth form to do Biology, Chemistry and French - I enjoy the subject, do well in it and I also know that it is one of those 'facilitating' subjects.
As for work experience, this could limit some options. I have found some places which take under 18s (and even under 16s), however, so I think the key is to keep persevering :smile:
Original post by Tiny123
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and I really want to be a vet. I've got a question about work experience. I moved to England from Belgium at the start of year 10. I've been struggling to find work experience for dairy or large animal vets, but I have friends in Belgium who know people in these fields. I've already got a lambing placement and I've got a small animal vets which I've already been to for a week. I've heard that only 1 week of work experience abroad counts so I was just wondering if this was true?

Hello! Welcome to the thread :smile:
I think work experience abroad would count (no matter how many weeks) but I'm not sure.
Original post by Tiny123

I don't think the week abroad thing is true. They tend not to count things like those conservation experiences where you go to Mexico to count turtles because you have to pay for those ones. But if you're from Belgium I don't see why it would be a problem :smile: It might even be useful because then you can compare what you've seen in Belgium to the UK.
Large animal vets are notoriously difficult because of insurance reasons; many do not take under 18s for this reason. However, some people say equine vets are a bit easier to get into and this still counts as an LA practice.
Reply 67
Hello! Welcome to the thread :smile:
I think work experience abroad would count (no matter how many weeks) but I'm not sure.

Thankyou!:smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Louiseee_
I don't think the week abroad thing is true. They tend not to count things like those conservation experiences where you go to Mexico to count turtles because you have to pay for those ones. But if you're from Belgium I don't see why it would be a problem :smile: It might even be useful because then you can compare what you've seen in Belgium to the UK.
Large animal vets are notoriously difficult because of insurance reasons; many do not take under 18s for this reason. However, some people say equine vets are a bit easier to get into and this still counts as an LA practice.

Thank you so much!:smile:
I find some of the coursework I'm doing quite tedious... I regret taking history so much xD

I'm going to a SA vets near me - really looking forward to it! It's my second placement (did one in the summer). I've got work experience booked in a rescue centre, stables and another SA vets for next summer but really struggling to find lambing/dairy and LA vets near me :/

With lambing placements- I found it best to just google sheep farmers, ring them up and ask if they would be willing to put you in accommodation in return for work for the week. There is also a database of sheep farmers- or you could look on here! Its a bit of an adventure going further afield to stay away anyway- I thoroughly enjoyed the freedom and it shows independence/resourcefulness etc!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2611780
Hi everyone :smile: I just had a question in regards to work experience - I have 2 weeks booked in a rescue centre but I'm not sure if this would count in the kennels/cattery area?
Hi everyone :smile: I just had a question in regards to work experience - I have 2 weeks booked in a rescue centre but I'm not sure if this would count in the kennels/cattery area?

It would :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Great! Thanks :smile:
@chloe0804 @lucyliulu @Tta235 @katerebecca @hindleycharl @Tiny123

Hi everyone! I thought it would be a good idea to update this thread :h:

Firstly, I hope you're all doing well! Our dreaded exams are only getting closer and closer and I am certainly beginning to feel the pressure... :redface:

Soooo, how's school going for you guys - have you started revising yet? Got any work experience placements coming up?

Amber x
Hey, I've only just found this thread, no idea what took me so long.
Anyways, how did everyone do in their mocks and has anyone definitely decided on what they're taking at A Level? Work experience? Lambing in particular??
I've decided to take biology, chemistry and physics at A Level because even though they're supposedly REALLY demanding at A Level, they're my three favourite subjects. I'm taking French, Geography, Art, Music, Triple Science, & obviously English Lit, English Lang and Maths at GCSE and the coursework for art and music is insane!!
For lambing, because I'm Notts based the only farms i've been able to find for lambing are a good distance away so I'd have to stay there for a few weeks and they're in term time but luckily my heads of sixth-form are wonderful and are allowing me to take 2-3 weeks off so long as I negotiate "bridges" to prepare for me missing content while I'm away. As for other Work Experience I've got an RSPCA shelter and the equestrian centre I ride at, I'm going to pop into the SA vet on my road (i'm really lucky to have a vet on my road so i'm hoping i get in there!) but I've got to find a LA vet, dairy farm and possibly some other work experience too. Figured I wanted to get most of it out of the way before A levels start in September though so the long summer holiday is when I'm planning to do it all.
This has probably been answered earlier in the thread but has anyone got any idea of what universities they're thinking of applying to? My choices so far in this order are; Edinburgh, Liverpool, Nottingham, Glasgow, RVC (but I don't really like the idea of living in London due to my mum telling me so many horror stories about the price of living there!!)
@chloe0804 @lucyliulu @Tta235 @katerebecca @hindleycharl @Tiny123

Hi everyone! I thought it would be a good idea to update this thread :h:

Firstly, I hope you're all doing well! Our dreaded exams are only getting closer and closer and I am certainly beginning to feel the pressure... :redface:

Soooo, how's school going for you guys - have you started revising yet? Got any work experience placements coming up?

Amber x

Yeah, I beginning to feel the pressure too. I've just had an interview for my first choice college and having a second one coming up as well. I've got another set of mocks soon and then it won't be long until the real things. It's getting quite scary now, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexseb31
Hey, I've only just found this thread, no idea what took me so long.
Anyways, how did everyone do in their mocks and has anyone definitely decided on what they're taking at A Level? Work experience? Lambing in particular??
I've decided to take biology, chemistry and physics at A Level because even though they're supposedly REALLY demanding at A Level, they're my three favourite subjects. I'm taking French, Geography, Art, Music, Triple Science, & obviously English Lit, English Lang and Maths at GCSE and the coursework for art and music is insane!!
For lambing, because I'm Notts based the only farms i've been able to find for lambing are a good distance away so I'd have to stay there for a few weeks and they're in term time but luckily my heads of sixth-form are wonderful and are allowing me to take 2-3 weeks off so long as I negotiate "bridges" to prepare for me missing content while I'm away. As for other Work Experience I've got an RSPCA shelter and the equestrian centre I ride at, I'm going to pop into the SA vet on my road (i'm really lucky to have a vet on my road so i'm hoping i get in there!) but I've got to find a LA vet, dairy farm and possibly some other work experience too. Figured I wanted to get most of it out of the way before A levels start in September though so the long summer holiday is when I'm planning to do it all.
This has probably been answered earlier in the thread but has anyone got any idea of what universities they're thinking of applying to? My choices so far in this order are; Edinburgh, Liverpool, Nottingham, Glasgow, RVC (but I don't really like the idea of living in London due to my mum telling me so many horror stories about the price of living there!!)

Welcome to the thread! :smile: In answer to your lovely set of questions:
1) My mocks went ok - I got a mix of mostly A/A*s but also a B and a C. I didn't revise much for them though so who am I to moan :tongue:
2) I've decided on A Level Biology, Chemistry and French and Level 3 Core Maths for next year. I love bio and chem (and they're requirements for vet school) and french is my second language so shouldn't be too difficult for me! I chose Core Maths as something alongside my other subjects to aid my science and just keep that maths going (I think I would die if I took maths a level lol).
3) In regards to work experience, I've done some SA practice and have rescue centre, stables, more SA vets, dog grooming salon and a lab placement booked for the summer (super excited!). I have potentially found a lambing placement for next year but it hasn't been confirmed. I'm finding dairy placements hardest to find at the moment; I live in Oxford so there isn't a great choice of good dairy farmers near to me :/
4) I'm thinking RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and maybe Surrey. RVC is my favourite at the moment (I'll try to put the living cost of London to the back of my mind for now lol).

Good luck for the year :smile:
Original post by lucyliulu
Yeah, I beginning to feel the pressure too. I've just had an interview for my first choice college and having a second one coming up as well. I've got another set of mocks soon and then it won't be long until the real things. It's getting quite scary now, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're all in this together ahahaa..ha *cries*.

Good luck for your next interview! :smile:
Welcome to the thread! :smile: In answer to your lovely set of questions:
1) My mocks went ok - I got a mix of mostly A/A*s but also a B and a C. I didn't revise much for them though so who am I to moan :tongue:
2) I've decided on A Level Biology, Chemistry and French and Level 3 Core Maths for next year. I love bio and chem (and they're requirements for vet school) and french is my second language so shouldn't be too difficult for me! I chose Core Maths as something alongside my other subjects to aid my science and just keep that maths going (I think I would die if I took maths a level lol).
3) In regards to work experience, I've done some SA practice and have rescue centre, stables, more SA vets, dog grooming salon and a lab placement booked for the summer (super excited!). I have potentially found a lambing placement for next year but it hasn't been confirmed. I'm finding dairy placements hardest to find at the moment; I live in Oxford so there isn't a great choice of good dairy farmers near to me :/
4) I'm thinking RVC, Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and maybe Surrey. RVC is my favourite at the moment (I'll try to put the living cost of London to the back of my mind for now lol).

Good luck for the year :smile:

Glad to hear your mocks went well! I only got 2 A*s (Chemistry and Physics) one A and the rest Bs which I was kind of disappointed about but I figured I have a while to work on them so I should be alright.
Where have you been looking for dairy placements? Just yellow pages or is there a specific website in the same way there is NSA for lambing? Because I live right in the city there's so many SA vets near me but hardly any LA or farms except urban farms (and I know some universities don't really like urban farms and prefer commercial ones) so I'm at a loss!!
I'm going to be enquiring about lambing in the next week or so for 2018 but I didn't know what the deal was with enquiring, do you message multiple at the same time and risk being overbooked (though that's unlikely lol) or do I wait for a response from one before possibly messaging the next?? My head of sixth form is pushing me to get my work experience placements sorted and I'm just sat here wondering how she expects me to do that as well as revise and finish my coursework:s-smilie: Having french as a second language sounds awesome as well, I love french and have french friends and I'm not TOO bad at it but I'd love to be able to speak it fluently!!

Also, out of curiosity, are there any other boys on this thread? From what I've seen on different websites and statistics there are more female vet students than males and I feel like I'm going to be the only male in a class full of females (not that there's anything wrong with that, the majority of my friends are female lol):smile:
Original post by alexseb31
Glad to hear your mocks went well! I only got 2 A*s (Chemistry and Physics) one A and the rest Bs which I was kind of disappointed about but I figured I have a while to work on them so I should be alright.
Where have you been looking for dairy placements? Just yellow pages or is there a specific website in the same way there is NSA for lambing? Because I live right in the city there's so many SA vets near me but hardly any LA or farms except urban farms (and I know some universities don't really like urban farms and prefer commercial ones) so I'm at a loss!!
I'm going to be enquiring about lambing in the next week or so for 2018 but I didn't know what the deal was with enquiring, do you message multiple at the same time and risk being overbooked (though that's unlikely lol) or do I wait for a response from one before possibly messaging the next?? My head of sixth form is pushing me to get my work experience placements sorted and I'm just sat here wondering how she expects me to do that as well as revise and finish my coursework:s-smilie: Having french as a second language sounds awesome as well, I love french and have french friends and I'm not TOO bad at it but I'd love to be able to speak it fluently!!

Also, out of curiosity, are there any other boys on this thread? From what I've seen on different websites and statistics there are more female vet students than males and I feel like I'm going to be the only male in a class full of females (not that there's anything wrong with that, the majority of my friends are female lol):smile:

For dairy, I've been using any sort of online database with names of farms (including yellow pages) and also asking around. Unfortunately, I have been explicitly advised to stay away from a couple of dairy farms near me by a current vet student so not a great start :redface: However, I may have the chance to do a placement with some family friends over in France (since my family are from rural areas, I have lots of contacts for farmers over there) - so that could be an option if all fails.
I think the nearest LA vets for me is about an hour's drive away and my parents, unsurprisingly, wouldn't want to drive me there back and forth for at least a week so it looks like we're on the same boat! I think it might be the case of staying with family/friends near to LA vets and getting a taxi :/
From personal experience I'd say for booking placements message as many people as you can and wait for all your responses to get through as lots take ages to get back to you/never reply (I learnt this the hard way - I think I spent a month waiting for someone to get back to me until I phoned in and realised they had left lol).

Are there any other year 11 boys on here? Sadly, I think not lol :P

Latest

Trending

Trending