The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
To use a phrase Boris himself has used, 'What an inverted pyramid of piffle'.

The Labour spin team really do sink to ridiculous depths. Shame on them.
Reply 81
Yet another unfounded smearage campaign. Notice how the thin and badly interpreted evidence of racism is quickly extrapolated to the Tory Party at large?

A similar, unfounded smear campaign was directed at Ken Livingstone ithe recent past. Must be a hazard peculiar to candidates for London Mayor. :wink:
yawn
A similar, unfounded smear campaign was directed at Ken Livingstone ithe recent past. Must be a hazard peculiar to candidates for London Mayor. :wink:

Yes they tried to claim companies wouldn't invest in London if he became mayor, and Paxman asked that woman MP which companies, and she couldn't tell him.
Reply 83
His casual use of "piccaninnies" makes him a racist in my book, but he's most notable for being a first-rate buffoon. Anything that helps drag the tories down is a good thing, however, so hopefully he'll remain high-profile.
Those in the know ought probably to be more worried that Johnson is referencing Enoch Powell than concerned at the word itself.
Reply 85
I wonder what the ordinary public think about this - two Labour MPs are hardly representative. And although I don't think he's racist, I can see why people might have been offended. And in a multicultural city like London, you generally want most people on side if you are serious about become the Mayor.
Reply 86
I agree with the general drift of the thread that Boris Johnson probably isn't racist. However I think most people here are being overly dismissive of the legitimate points that were actually raised by the two Labour MPs. They didn't say he was racist as far as I'm aware, just that he is inappropriately insensitive to other people, which is totally different.

And it's no surprise he manages to offend all manner of peoples other than his own constituents, whether it's Plymouth, the people of Liverpool or blacks.

It just highlights his naivety if he thinks every moment is another have i got news for you take. You can't have someone who is as indiscrete as Boris running the heart of the UK. Imagine the blunders he could make, God knows what his considered response to a terror attack would be. He's an utter buffoon.

And as the MPs indicate, you can't expect to use the Victorian term of abuse for black children 'piccinannies' casually, and poke fun at physical characteristics, 'watermelon smile', and expect black people to find this kind of behaving becoming of an elected mayor! Moreover all people should find this kind of behaviour alarming, afterall he will represent London on the world stage. Is he the kind of image London wants, a blond-haired bundle of gaffe-prone fun, and nothing much else? Can anyone actually remember anything of political significance that he has campaigned for?
Reply 87
*The One
It just highlights his naivety if he thinks every moment is another have i got news for you take. You can't have someone who is as indiscrete as Boris running the heart of the UK. Imagine the blunders he could make, God knows what his considered response to a terror attack would be. He's an utter buffoon.

Far more dignified than Ken Livingstone's typical responses which are likely to include waffling nonsense, blaming the Jews, blaming the Americans, fighting with pregnant women and throwing people down staircases.

He's ten times worse than any buffoon.

And as the MPs indicate, you can't expect to use the Victorian term of abuse for black children 'piccinannies' casually

It strikes me as roughly the same as the dolt who neg repped me once for using the term "coloured" - offensiveness is to be found in intention, not in words.
Reply 88
Libertin du Nord
Far more dignified than Ken Livingstone's typical responses which are likely to include waffling nonsense, blaming the Jews, blaming the Americans, fighting with pregnant women and throwing people down staircases.

Err... do the laws on libel apply to internet forums? :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Agamemnon

They could, yes.
Reply 90
Agamemnon

You'll note I tailored my post to what I believe he may do rather than a statement of fact on what he has done. I could justify that in any way I fancy, even something as basic as his low criminalistic forehead, or I could even go as far as to suggestion that my suppositions are based on rumoured prior conduct.

I have no urge to have to prove his past performance, no matter which directions I harbour suspicions.
Reply 91
Libertin du Nord
Far more dignified than Ken Livingstone's typical responses which are likely to include waffling nonsense, blaming the Jews, blaming the Americans, fighting with pregnant women and throwing people down staircases. .

Ha...ha...ha you're very funny! Waffling, well if that isn't Boris's middle name I'll buy you a drink. 'Blaming the jews', now that is rubbish, when you can provide quotations i won't assuem you're getting desperate. He's anti-the bush regime, is that any wonder, who isn't? He had the balls to challenge the U.S embassador for dodging the congestion charge, good on him I say.

Libertin du Nord

It strikes me as roughly the same as the dolt who neg repped me once for using the term "coloured" - offensiveness is to be found in intention, not in words.

Now there is a complete difference and you know it. 'Coloured' although an outdated term (which you should now avoid), was once widely accepted by everyone, and most sensible people (unlike the 'dolt') would understand no offence was meant. 'Piccaninny' however has always been a derisory term (you can look it up if you want) emerging from teh Victorian era. There has been no precedent therefore for using that term other than as a term of insult or derision, there is however a precedent for using the term 'coloured' (which doesn't make it right), but understandable.

Only found in intention? Actually lol right now. So it's alright for you to call a disabled Indian a ******* paki, as long as you meant it as a joke?

Isn't the truth that the reason many people on here have a knee-jerk dimissal of the legitimate points of the MPs (which no one seems to even acknowledge) raise, is because many of you have said similar things and still find them acceptable by your own admission?
Reply 92
Just one point why is 's p a s t i c ' edited out but 'paki' isn't? Just wondering?
Seems a few more are jumping on the bandwagon

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2141479,00.html
Doreen Lawrence, the mother of the murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence, yesterday launched a fierce personal attack on Boris Johnson, saying he would destroy multicultural London if elected mayor

Perhaps a bit irresponsible to use her status as the mother of a racist murder victim to push an anti-Johnson agenda. Any thoughts?
Reply 94
*The One
Just one point why is 's p a s t i c ' edited out but 'paki' isn't? Just wondering?

Because it's the first 4 letters of a legitimate word.
Reply 95
Agamemnon
Because it's the first 4 letters of a legitimate word.

Fair enough, I think TSR should plug that loophole still.
*The One
I don't know. The auto-censoring software can be quite weird.
*The One
Now there is a complete difference and you know it. 'Coloured' although an outdated term (which you should now avoid), was once widely accepted by everyone, and most sensible people (unlike the 'dolt') would understand no offence was meant. 'Piccaninny' however has always been a derisory term (you can look it up if you want) emerging from teh Victorian era.
I have looked it up, and it was not derisory to begin with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccaninny
Reply 98
Oswy
His casual use of "piccaninnies" makes him a racist in my book, but he's most notable for being a first-rate buffoon. Anything that helps drag the tories down is a good thing, however, so hopefully he'll remain high-profile.

Picanninnies is a colloquial expression for one's children. My mother uses it all the time when talking of us, her offspring. as a term of endearment. :confused:

"Pickaninny (also picaninny) is a pidgin word form which may be derived from the Portuguese pequeninho ("little") via lingua franca."
yawn
Picanninnies is a colloquial expression for one's children. My mother uses it all the time when talking of us, her offspring. as a term of endearment. :confused:

"Pickaninny (also picaninny) is a pidgin word form which may be derived from the Portuguese pequeninho ("little") via lingua franca."
Welcome to the Racist Club, Yawn :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending