The Student Room Group

C3 Trigs

http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/c3_practice_papers/c3_h.pdf

Need help in Question 9.I applied the tan(2theta) identity and found cot(2theta) through it but I don't really get what to do next.
Thanks in Advance!
Original post by sabahshahed294
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/iygb_practice_papers/c3_practice_papers/c3_h.pdf

Need help in Question 9.I applied the tan(2theta) identity and found cot(2theta) through it but I don't really get what to do next.
Thanks in Advance!

Find tan(4θ)\tan(4\theta) in the same way since you know tan(2θ)\tan(2\theta)
Reply 2

Thanks in Advance!

Find tan4θ \tan 4\theta by using the identity which you have already used (pretty much) tan4θ=2tan2θ1tan22θ \displaystyle \tan 4\theta =\frac{2\tan 2\theta }{1-\tan^ 2 2\theta } .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

Thanks in Advance!

You know, for example that tan4θ=2tan2θ1tan22θ\tan 4\theta = \frac{2\tan 2\theta}{1 - \tan^2 2\theta} and that cot2θ=1tan2θ\cot 2\theta = \frac{1}{\tan 2\theta}, so you can simplify cot2θtan4θ\cot 2\theta \tan 4\theta nicely.

Can you take it from here?
Original post by Zacken
You know, for example that tan4θ=2tan2θ1tan22θ\tan 4\theta = \frac{2\tan 2\theta}{1 - \tan^2 2\theta} and that cot2θ=1tan2θ\cot 2\theta = \frac{1}{\tan 2\theta}, so you can simplify cot2θtan4θ\cot 2\theta \tan 4\theta nicely.

Can you take it from here?

Yes, I could. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by B_9710
Find tan4θ \tan 4\theta by using the identity which you have already used (pretty much) tan4θ=2tan2θ1tan2θ \displaystyle \tan 4\theta =\frac{2\tan 2\theta }{1-\tan^ 2\theta } .

Yup done. :smile: Thanks for your time :smile:
It's 1-tan2 (2theta) btw.
Reply 6
Yes, I could. Thank you! :smile:

Great! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Great! :smile:

Btw, Congratulations on your results(I know it's late :tongue: but I saw now. haha) :smile:
Pretty cool! :h: Which subject did you get an A in? (If you don't mind me asking. )
Reply 8
Btw, Congratulations on your results(I know it's late :tongue: but I saw now. haha) :smile:
Pretty cool! :h: Which subject did you get an A in? (If you don't mind me asking. )

Thank you very much! Did you get any results as well - AS or GCSE?

I ended up with A*A*A in M, FM and Physics respectively. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Thank you very much! Did you get any results as well - AS or GCSE?

I ended up with A*A*A in M, FM and Physics respectively. :smile:

Wow. Awesome! :biggrin:
I did my A2 this year.Did Physics, Chemistry and Maths this year but I couldn't do well in some units such as C34, Physics 5,Physics 6 and Chemistry 5 :frown: (I'm an International Student so I'll be reappearing for C34 and Chemistry 5 in January.) Rest of the A2 Units I got A's :smile: except for a B in Physics 4 :tongue: . I hate A Level Physics a lot lol.(Especially Edexcel, I did CIE for IGCSEs which was far better than this) :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Wow. Awesome! :biggrin:
I did my A2 this year.Did Physics, Chemistry and Maths this year but I couldn't do well in some units such as C34, Physics 5,Physics 6 and Chemistry 5 :frown: (I'm an International Student so I'll be reappearing for C34 and Chemistry 5 in January.) Rest of the Units I got A's :smile: except for a B in Physics 4 :tongue: . I hate A Level Physics a lot lol.(Especially Edexcel, I did CIE for IGCSEs which was far better than this) :tongue:

Oh right, of course! Now I remember! Well done nevertheless and good luck for Jan! Are you applying to the UK for uni? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Oh right, of course! Now I remember! Well done nevertheless and good luck for Jan! Are you applying to the UK for uni? :smile:

Thank you so much. :smile:
I'm trying for Australia and UK both actually. But Idk whether my grades will be acceptable for UK. UK is quite harsh in it's requirements than Australia. (Although the unis are superb!) You're going to Cambridge I see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest