The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bravenewcentury
Apparently Butler has had masses of applications this year; I think a lot of people prefer to be self-catered.

I probably would have chosen to be, but I'm actually really glad I was catered (both in terms of laziness and in a social sense).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
the social side of being catered > anything else in the world
Reply 22
TKR
the social side of being catered > anything else in the world

troof.

one word - brunch. :biggrin:
Reply 23
It's all about the formals - I'm loving the idea of having dinner in suits! Do we have to wear academic dress to formals too? :frown:
Reply 24
Yep, Butler is full. I've been turfed out.
Seems I'm off to St. Aidan's instead. And I was so looking forwards to the cooking for myself, and the single room, and en-suite, and the hammocks. :frown:
Reply 25
St. Aidan's rocks (not as much as Hatfield, but you can't have everything, can you? :wink: )
Aula
Yep, Butler is full. I've been turfed out.
Seems I'm off to St. Aidan's instead. And I was so looking forwards to the cooking for myself, and the single room, and en-suite, and the hammocks. :frown:

I'm sure Aidan's is nice though. Anywhere with its own pizza bar is good in my book.

I haven't heard anything about where I've been reassigned yet, so I probably won't know until Monday.
Reply 27
generic hybrid
I'm sure Aidan's is nice though. Anywhere with its own pizza bar is good in my book.

It has it's own pizza bar?! D'you know if they're pre-made or freshly made?
See, I know pretty much nothing about it, and am now desperately trying to find out as much as I can. (So obviously I come here to find out :smile:)

generic hybrid
I haven't heard anything about where I've been reassigned yet, so I probably won't know until Monday.

Ring 'em up and ask. That's what I did. Out of interest, did you meet your offer?
Aula
It has it's own pizza bar?! D'you know if they're pre-made or freshly made?
See, I know pretty much nothing about it, and am now desperately trying to find out as much as I can. (So obviously I come here to find out :smile:)

I got the pizza bar thing from the FAQ sticky, so that's just about the sum of my Aidan's knowledge. Hopefully they're good pizzas.

Ring 'em up and ask. That's what I did. Out of interest, did you meet your offer?

Missed it, but I had some American grades and a bunch of ridiculous extenuating circumstances, so thankfully they were merciful. Did the same thing happen for you or is Butler just really oversubscribed?
Reply 29
Pizza thing - I've just seen that, so I probably know as much as you.
yea, just missed it, got ACC, offer was BBB
irritaitingly my Cs were 1 and 2 marks below Bs :frown:
and I'm getting them remarked.
but I don't think they know any of that, so the department must really want me :smile:
I know there are some Aidan's people around here somewhere. I think they have their own website too, aside from the one on the main Durham site.

Urgh, that's frustrating! Hopefully they should go up then. :smile: I was thinking of getting my law exam remarked, as everyone in my class did much worse than we thought we did, but on the other hand I could just move on and happily forget that class ever existed.

I hope I know where I'll be soon. It'd be good to know if I'll have a roommate or not.
Reply 31
if you don't know by monday then definately give them a ring. I think Aidan's might be slow, I've heard nothing from them. I rang Josephine Butler admissions and 'twas them who told me.

hope you find out soon.
Reply 32
I've never managed to find the Aidans pizza bar. Collingwood's is great and easy to fine, Grey's a little harder but Aidan's is nowhere to be seen.
I got my welcome pack in the post today and I'm at St. Mary's. All I know is it used to be all-female and it's got a toastie bar. xD Does anyone have any photos?
Reply 34
Apparently Butler has had masses of applications this year; I think a lot of people prefer to be self-catered.

At the open day, they said that it's been really popular. Apparently last year there were problems with people not being able to chose Butler on UCAS and people generally being unaware of its existence! Also, I think quite a lot of open applicants were pooled there because they get priority for some reason.
Reply 35
generic hybrid
I got my welcome pack in the post today and I'm at St. Mary's. All I know is it used to be all-female and it's got a toastie bar. xD Does anyone have any photos?

No photos, but I have a friend going there for Geography. It's directly oposite the science block, and according to her, is the prettiest of the hill colleges.
Reply 36
Aula
No photos, but I have a friend going there for Geography. It's directly oposite the science block, and according to her, is the prettiest of the hill colleges.

my friend belongs to mary's, it seemed quite nice when i went to visit (although i am scared of the big colleges lol). isn't it meant to be like the most bailey-ish college on the hill? as in fairly traditional but bigger and... on the hill... lol. i've generally heard good things, apart from the whole possibility of a triple room thing - nightmare! don't know if they still have them, and i dont think there were many anyway, but still.
their toastie bar is cool, where i had my first mars bar toastie. the bar is teeny tiny but i quite like it. i think i may be the only one... :biggrin:
Wow, I'll have to try the mars bar toastie. I've had a deep-fried mars bar before and it was... interesting, so I'm open to more mars bar cuisine.

Triple rooms?? Eek, I hope not. One of the blocks is being refurbished next year so maybe that's where they were.
Does anyone know which colleges have shared rooms? As I really don't want to share a room (I'm not a recluse or anything, I'd just like more privacy...).
Reply 39
Van Mildert and Josephine Butler are both all single, everything else has sharing (I think)

Latest