The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How does cleaning work in shared areas?

I have been allocated to accommodation with a shared bathroom and a shared kitchenette (it is a catered college). Is it the full or part responsibility of the students to clean/hoover these areas, or do cleaners carry this out? (At my previous university the shared bathrooms were cleaned by college cleaners.) Also, is there usually a hoover available for cleaning your own bedroom? Does this vary based on college?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by jbrandagamba
I have been allocated to accommodation with a shared bathroom and a shared kitchenette (it is a catered college). Is it the full or part responsibility of the students to clean/hoover these areas, or do cleaners carry this out? (At my previous university the shared bathrooms were cleaned by college cleaners.) Also, is there usually a hoover available for cleaning your own bedroom? Does this vary based on college?

May vary by college, but shared areas were regularly cleaned (bathrooms I think were three times a week.). Bedrooms the cleaners would come round every two weeks and do a hoover and clean of the sink. You could borrow hoovers from the porters lodge.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jbrandagamba

Hiya

I'm not sure about the kitchenette but the communal areas are cleaned by the college team regularly- how often that is will vary for each college. You can email your college and ask about that, or simply ring them up. Even though the cleaners come to clean bedrooms too, there is usually a hoover available- sometimes it's within a closet in the hall itself or you may have to borrow it from the porters lodge.

-Himieka
Reply 3
My brother actually studied at this university 3 years ago and at that time the college cleaners were doing all the job but it could have been changed since then. From my experience and what I've seen in different colleges, the responsibility for cleaning shared areas can vary. In some places, college cleaners handle the bathrooms and kitchenettes regularly, like three times a week, and visit bedrooms every two weeks for a quick clean and hoover. However, it's not uncommon for students to take on some cleaning responsibilities, especially for personal spaces. In many colleges, you can usually borrow hoovers from the porters' lodge for your room. For larger cleaning tasks or when moving out, services like JS Removals can be a great resource, offering professional cleaning and waste removal, ensuring that shared spaces remain tidy. It's always a good idea to check with your specific college for their policies and cleaning schedules, as practices can differ. Hope this helps!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest