The Student Room Group

Will it harm my application to not include blank lines in my PS?

I wrote my PS focusing on the character limit, then when I went onto UCAS I discovered there’s a line limit! Will it harm my application if I just remove the blank lines that separate my paragraphs? I will still put them on separate lines, just no space in between.

It’s difficult because I’ve tried shortening it but only managed to take a few lines off. I’ll have to take some out but I feel like all of it is relevant now. Is it ok to not have the blank lines? Thanks.
Reply 1
The same thing happened to me as well, I just put it all in to fit the line limit. I would say just ask your tutor/ teacher what to do.
I’m 99% sure I had the same problem last year when I applied, and my tutor just told me to remove the spacing between the paragraphs (which obviously isn’t the best but oh well), and I had no problems with my application after submitting it. However, as the comment above says, I would double check with your tutor/referee before sending it off
Reply 3
Original post by MaxA06
The same thing happened to me as well, I just put it all in to fit the line limit. I would say just ask your tutor/ teacher what to do.

So you removed the blank spaces? Yeah I'm thinking of doing that, I've shortened it as much as I can and still have 1 line over. D: I actually left college last year so can't do that unfortunately
Original post by laurie_123
So you removed the blank spaces? Yeah I'm thinking of doing that, I've shortened it as much as I can and still have 1 line over. D: I actually left college last year so can't do that unfortunately

Yeah, I think I removed the spaces between paragraphs too. If I remember correctly, I substituted gaps between paragraphs with indentations where you just push the next paragraph in slightly with a slash.
/// Like this
Reply 5
Original post by Squiggles1238
I’m 99% sure I had the same problem last year when I applied, and my tutor just told me to remove the spacing between the paragraphs (which obviously isn’t the best but oh well), and I had no problems with my application after submitting it. However, as the comment above says, I would double check with your tutor/referee before sending it off

That's reassuring, yeah I left college last year but I might be able to get in touch with them before sending it
Reply 6
Original post by InnateImpunity
Yeah, I think I removed the spaces between paragraphs too. If I remember correctly, I substituted gaps between paragraphs with indentations where you just push the next paragraph in slightly with a slash.
/// Like this

Oh that's a good idea, I might try that if the character limit will allow me 😅 lol
Original post by laurie_123
That's reassuring, yeah I left college last year but I might be able to get in touch with them before sending it

Good idea
@PQ would you be able to advise on this at all?
Ideally you should leave a lime empty to denote the paragraphs - makes it much easier for the poor admissions officer reading it - but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I may or may not have accidentally submitted not one, but two personal statements with this same mistake :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending