The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Accommodation for clearing students

After trying to find out about the process of getting accommodation as a clearing student I found this:
I’m an undergraduate and I'm going to be applying through clearing. What do I do about accommodation?

There is a special application form for clearing students that your department will send you.

The Accommodation Office do not guarantee clearing students accommodation but we anticipate that this year, we will be able to offer accommodation to most clearing students. This may be only temporary accommodation initially until a suitable permanent accommodation becomes available.

The Accommodation Office can only begin to house clearing students after the majority of other students have been housed. As a consequence you may not be told where you are living until a couple of days before you come to Leeds. They will however try to let you know as soon as possible.

As a clearing student, it is unlikely that the Accommodation Office will be able to offer you your preferences and there is a higher chance of being offered a shared room. However, you will usually be able to change to other University accommodation after the first few weeks if you are unhappy.

I found this under the international section of the university's website, does anybody know if this applies to non-international students too? If so eek. I'd already applied for accommodation when I held a firm offer for another course but I guess I'm going to have to do it all again as I'm now a clearing student.
yeah it does apply to home students as well, but don't panic, they won't put you anywhere crap because there are no bad halls in Leeds. What might happen is that they put some students in shared rooms for a few weeks till other spaces come available elsewhere (eg when people drop out of uni!) and reallocate you around. In the past they had an overspill in Wakefield where lots of the clearers were housed in the short term, and had to travel in (a long way) but now they have scrapped the Wakefield overspill and instead are looking to put people in shared rooms on the usual residences. Accommodation services are really helpful though so if you don't liek where you are placed, give it a go for a couple of weeks then go and see them and ask to be moved, most people I knew who had a problem got placed elsewhere without problems.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Latest