Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I applied to Cambridge for economics, and I was just wondering if I actually have real shot. I have 8 A*s in my IGCSEs and and my AS UMS scores are as follows:
    MATHEMATICS:
    C34: 195/200 (I took C34 first and I'll take C12 along with my A2 units)
    M1: 100/100
    S1: 96/100

PHYSICS:
    Unit 1: 120/120
    Unit 2: 120/120
    Unit 3: 52/60

CHEMISTRY:
    Total for Units 1,2,3: 300/300

ECONOMICS:
    Unit 1: 87/90
    Unit 2: 93/100

In my personal statement I wrote about why I want to study economics (the clichèd 'betterment of society' and how much it interests me and all that. But I'm afraid I didn't display any significant engagements with the subject beyond my academic curriculum, and the ECAA admission test I took went really bad. Do you think the good UMS scores will make up for the lack of extracurriculars engagements in the subject?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Labib2911)
    Hey guys,I applied to Cambridge for economics, and I was just wondering if I actually have real shot. I have 8 A*s in my IGCSEs and and my AS UMS scores are as follows:
    MATHEMATICS:
    C34: 195/200 (I took C34 first and I'll take C12 along with my A2 units)
    M1: 100/100
    S1: 96/100

PHYSICS:
    Unit 1: 120/120
    Unit 2: 120/120
    Unit 3: 52/60

CHEMISTRY:
    Total for Units 1,2,3: 300/300

ECONOMICS:
    Unit 1: 87/90
    Unit 2: 93/100

In my personal statement I wrote about why I want to study economics (the clichèd 'betterment of society' and how much it interests me and all that. But I'm afraid I didn't display any significant engagements with the subject beyond my academic curriculum, and the ECAA admission test I took went really bad. Do you think the good UMS scores will make up for the lack of extracurriculars engagements in the subject?
    No one can say - not even an Admissions Tutor without reviewing your entire application (including your likely and upcoming interview) against the gathered field.

The ECAA is just one aspect and a "weakness" there can certainly be made up with "strengths" elsewhere. Oh, and you don't need extracurriculars.

Anyway, all you can do is await the interview and then decision day, along with everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No one can say - not even an Admissions Tutor without reviewing your entire application (including your likely and upcoming interview) against the gathered field.

The ECAA is just one aspect and a "weakness" there can certainly be made up with "strengths" elsewhere. Oh, and you don't need extracurriculars.

Anyway, all you can do is await the interview and then decision day, along with everyone else.
    Thanks bro. I suppose you're right. Oh and thank you for saying you think it's likely I'll be called for interview

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.