The Student Room Group

Msc F&E LSE vs Msc F&E Warwick with scholarship!!

Poll

Which Msc Finance and Economics should I go for?

Pretty straightforward question.
Msc Finance and Economics LSE --- 33.5k tuition.
Msc Finance and Economics WBS --- 33.5k tuition, but I got offered a 50% scholarship towards tuition fees, so 16.750k tuition.

Any advice?

I am an EU student who is willing to work around 5 years in the UK in asset management or insurance. However, I am not desperately looking for a London job, and I am willling to work in other areas of the UK, for example Edinburgh, or even other countires within the EU.

Edit: Sorry for typo in poll :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
If you can self finance your masters programme, then there isn't even a contest. You should attend the lse.

If you can't, then going to Warwick won't really disadvantage you that much, considering the £16k 'discount'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tutonic
If you can self finance your masters programme, then there isn't even a contest. You should attend the lse.

If you can't, then going to Warwick won't really disadvantage you that much, considering the £16k 'discount'.

Is the gap between these two courses that big?
Reply 3
The way I see it, LSE is in a higher 'tier', along with Cambridge and Oxford. The likes of Warwick and Imperial follow (closely) after them. However, if the £16k is a factor for you, then you should attend WBS. I'm not saying that going to Warwick will net you a markedly different experience and outcome, it's just that, given the choice, if you are not bound by financial constraints, LSE is the way to go.
Reply 4
LSE's prestige is slightly ahead of Warwick, but the gap is not big. Both LSE and Warwick are within the 6 targeted universities which boosts your chance of go into the finance/banking industry so there is not much difference in graduate prospects.

I would go to LSE if money is not a concern because of its reputation. But if you're a bit struggling with money, Warwick is the better option. Not only you got the 50% scholarship but also living costs in Coventry is a lot cheaper than London.
Reply 5
Original post by Vallern
I have an offer for Msc Finance and Economics LSE --- 33.5k tuition.
I have an offer for Msc Finance and Economics WBS --- 33.5k tuition, but I got offered a 50% scholarship towards tuition fees, so 16.750k tuition.

Any advice?

I am an EU student who is willing to work around 5 years in the UK in asset management or insurance.

Nice joke.

Don't you know that LSE will release the first batch of offers in January (check out on their graduate admission site).

Don't be confused between imagination and reality haha.

Also Warwick is difficult enough to get into so you being obtained a scholarship is impossible. I know you are just trying to discourage other applicants by pretending you have got the offers which are yet to come.
Reply 6
Original post by Sammy2534
Nice joke.

Don't you know that LSE will release the first batch of offers in January (check out on their graduate admission site).

Don't be confused between imagination and reality haha.

Also Warwick is difficult enough to get into so you being obtained a scholarship is impossible. I know you are just trying to discourage other applicants by pretending you have got the offers which are yet to come.

Would you like for me to post a pic of my warwick offer, since that is the only offer I have in hardcopy form?
Are you willing to apologise for your accusations of me lying if I do so?

Getting into hardcore courses and obtaining scholarships might be impossible for you;
I`m not you...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Congratulations on your offers! I'm an EU (NL) student myself who studied abroad at WBS for last year's autumn term. I also partook in one of the LSE's summer courses so I should be in an alright spot to compare the two. :smile:

The comments regarding financial pressure above are very relevant and should definitely give you somewhat of an impression of the two schools. There is another important point to note however, and that's the location, I would say London is 10x more fun and vivid to live in, but whether it's worth 15k is ultimately up to you. You could of course always move to London at a later stage and, given your career aspirations, this seems very likely to happen once you've completed your Master's (I actually visited London almost every other weekend as it's only a short train ride from Coventry to London Eaton). It is true that Warwick is definitely considered a target nowadays, as nearly all 'top' employers like GS, MS, JPM and BBM regularly gave presentations. Be advised though that Warwick is very much a 'campus' uni, which also plays into the geographical difference mentioned above.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
A targets a target. Id choose warwick.
Original post by Vallern
Msc Finance and Economics LSE --- 33.5k tuition.
Msc Finance and Economics WBS --- 33.5k tuition, but I got offered a 50% scholarship towards tuition fees, so 16.750k tuition.

Any advice?

I am an EU student who is willing to work around 5 years in the UK in asset management or insurance. However, I am not desperately looking for a London job, and I am willling to work in other areas of the UK, for example Edinburgh, or even other countires within the EU.

Hey Vallern, which option did you end up choosing and how's your experience turning out? I'm choosing between LSE and Warwick MSc F&E myself and would love to get some insight.
Reply 10
Original post by AnnumAftab
Hey Vallern, which option did you end up choosing and how's your experience turning out? I'm choosing between LSE and Warwick MSc F&E myself and would love to get some insight.
Went with Warwick. Found a job within 2 months. However, course is much more theoretical than I'd expect it to be, can't say I learnt many useful stuff, term 1 was extremely challenging, but term 2 is a breeze. People with even no experience were invited to interviews because of their degree here at Warwick. So yeah it helped me with landing a job, but the modules studied were too theoretical for my taste. But I'd imagine LSE would be even more theoretical.
Original post by Vallern
Went with Warwick. Found a job within 2 months. However, course is much more theoretical than I'd expect it to be, can't say I learnt many useful stuff, term 1 was extremely challenging, but term 2 is a breeze. People with even no experience were invited to interviews because of their degree here at Warwick. So yeah it helped me with landing a job, but the modules studied were too theoretical for my taste. But I'd imagine LSE would be even more theoretical.

Thanks for the detailed response Vallern!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending