The Student Room Group

urgent!!

i ve decided to self study at home and my subjects include a-level economics and math..but im confused about which other subject should i choose?cant choose the sciences because i cant do the practicals...need help..thx in advance
Reply 1
What about further maths?
Reply 2
Original post by sail999
What about further maths?

is there any other option apart from that?
Reply 3
Original post by waseem pz
is there any other option apart from that?

You could maybe do a social science such as psychology, or speak to a sixth from that may allow yo to do the practicals required for chemistry or biology.
u can do practicals at a centre as a private candidate...
You are right, you can do A level sciences with AQA, Edexcel or OCR without completing the practical endorsement. As you say, your grade is independent of the practical component. However, the content of the practicals will be tested in the exam papers. You could also find that a science A level without a pass in the practical endorsement may not be acceptable for university application etc. It will depend on what you want to do and where, though they may be more flexible for a private candidate. Anyone planning to try this option should contact their target university department for advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi my name is Jo and I'm a course advisor at the National Extension College. With our distance learning A level Science courses ( Biology, Chemistry and Physics) core practical work is partly manageable at home, and can be completed using linked video resources. This is included in the course fee and these skills are tested in the written exams. Your certificate grade is made just from these exam results. Teacher-assessed practical competency is not included in the course for this fee, although we are expecting to be offering it next February/Easter/May at a centre in Coventry for a further cost (approximately £750) or Greenes Tutorial College in Oxford (although this is at a higher cost tbc). The result takes the form of a pass/fail as an Endorsement to the certificate rather than being incorporated into your grade. At this stage we cannot know which university courses will require it for entry. You will need to check that with them.

Quick Reply

Latest