The Student Room Group

How many a-levels do you take

Hi I was just wondering if you do 3 or 4 A-levels because colleges have told me different things
It depends on what the college wants, some places will only let you do 3, some will let you do 4, some will let you do even more. All university courses will require only 3 A-levels, so either way you will not be at a disadvantage, but it can be good to take more to show that you can cope with more work.
Reply 2
Original post by Beccae53
Hi I was just wondering if you do 3 or 4 A-levels because colleges have told me different things

Poster above explained it very well.
Thanks
I'm thinking of taking french, English lit and business I don't really know if I should do a fourth because I've heard that french and literature can be hard( if I do a fourth it would be either law, accounting or german)

Hi! I did 3 AS Levels and a BTEC in my 1st year, then dropped the BTC and am now doing 3 A levels. 4 A levels is perfectly manageable if you work hard but I think a lot of colleges are trying to make people do 3 now because of all the a levels going linear. Hope that helped!

I do 4. However, to do so I needed 74 points at GCSE on the basis that A* = 10 A = 8 etc.
However, because A levels are linear now, at least the majority of them, doing 4 isn't as common as it was usually practise to drop one after 1st year, which is pointless now as AS does not count for anything.

Quick Reply

Latest