The Student Room Group

What's 6th form, really?

Hello
I am writing a novel where it takes place in London
Two characters of mine are supposed to be in sixth form but I don't know much about sixth form thing since I am used to the highschool concept
I have few questions hoping for answers
1. What time of the day do school start and end?
2. What subjects does someone need to take to study law in college?
3. Is there a chance two people who take different subjects to be in the same classroom? Let's say they study two different subject but the third is Mutual (let's say both took math as a third subject).
Any other info would be appreciated ❤️❤️
hai
i start school at 8:30 and have registration until 9, then I have anything from 1-6 lessons a day. Once I'm done with all my lessons, I'm allowed to leave school at any time, but usually Ieave at lunch (1:15), after fifth period (2:55) or after sixth period (3:55). But this changes a lot depending on the school, every school has their own rules on when sixth formers can come and go, eg. my school makes us come in for registration but some don't, some schools you have to stay the whole day, etc.
Not sure about A-Levels for Law, sorry, but it's a popular subject so I recon if you search on this site you will find plenty of conversations about it. You can also check out university websites. I think law is pretty versatile in what a-levels you take, but may be wrong about that.
At my school people who take different subject combinations can be in the same class. One of my friends takes all the same subjects as me and we are in all classes together, another friend takes two of the same subjects as me but we are only in one class together. It depends on the size of the sixth form, how many subjects are offered and how many classes there are for each subject. But overall yes, people who take different subjects but one the same can be put into the same class for that subject.
hope this helps, good luck with your novel
Reply 2
Original post by fields_and_trees
hai
i start school at 8:30 and have registration until 9, then I have anything from 1-6 lessons a day. Once I'm done with all my lessons, I'm allowed to leave school at any time, but usually Ieave at lunch (1:15), after fifth period (2:55) or after sixth period (3:55). But this changes a lot depending on the school, every school has their own rules on when sixth formers can come and go, eg. my school makes us come in for registration but some don't, some schools you have to stay the whole day, etc.
Not sure about A-Levels for Law, sorry, but it's a popular subject so I recon if you search on this site you will find plenty of conversations about it. You can also check out university websites. I think law is pretty versatile in what a-levels you take, but may be wrong about that.
At my school people who take different subject combinations can be in the same class. One of my friends takes all the same subjects as me and we are in all classes together, another friend takes two of the same subjects as me but we are only in one class together. It depends on the size of the sixth form, how many subjects are offered and how many classes there are for each subject. But overall yes, people who take different subjects but one the same can be put into the same class for that subject.
hope this helps, good luck with your novel

Thank you so much ❤️
This was very helpful
Reply 3
I have to go to bed now, but I'm posting here so I hopefully remember to give you some more answers to your questions tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 4
Right, I'm up again

1. My school day starts at 09:00, registration until 09:10, and then 5 lessons until 15:30. Each lesson is 1 hour long. However, some of those lessons are what we call 'study periods' - you don't have a lesson with a teacher timetabled there. During these periods you're expected to be studying and doing homework for your lessons, though at some schools (including mine) you are also allowed to leave the building during them so long as you're back for your next lesson or registration. If your characters are hyper-academic (like people say I am lol), they may choose to basically never leave the building during study periods and use them all. I also stay after school every day to study more, and my school is open until around 17:30 to allow that. If your characters aren't too academic (though you mention law, so they probably are), they may use their study periods to go and hang out at a shopping centre or something. Most people are somewhere in the middle and use some productively while using others to go out.

2. I'm going to assume you mean they want to study law at university. College in the UK is another type of 16-19 education and an alternative to sixth form. Colleges offer vocational courses like hairdressing and social care, though they do also often offer A-levels too. Law is actually quite flexible on which A-levels you take compared to some other courses, though many aspiring law students choose essay-based subjects like English Language/Literature, Politics, History or the A-level in Law (only some sixth forms actually offer this as it isn't required to study law). However, 3 essay-based A-levels is a very high workload so people also often take, for example, 2 of the above essay-based subjects and Mathematics or a science to go with them. Also, in order to study law at university the relevant character(s) will have to sit an entrance exam called the LNAT. They will not be accepted to study law without sitting this, and you can find more information about it on their website: https://lnat.ac.uk/

3. This is entirely school-dependent and mostly depends on how many maths classes there are. The more maths classes, the less chance of them being together. Some schools with multiple classes will place students in a certain class depending on their other subjects, as subjects are arranged in timetabling 'blocks' (e.g. at my school, biology and computer science are in the same block, so their lessons are always at the same time, and engineering and chemistry are in the same block, so those lessons are always at the same time) and schools use these blocks to organise people into classes at larger sixth forms and it gets kind of complicated, but basically it depends on how large your fictional sixth form is. Smaller sixth forms are more likely to have only 1 or 2 maths classes, giving your characters a higher chance of being placed together. TLDR, if it's an important plot point that your characters are in the same maths class, it's entirely possible and nobody would think it's weird or unrealistic. Similarly, if it's a plot point that they're not in the same maths class, also possible.

Please excuse any weird grammar as it is 6:42am :smile: If you need any more info I'm happy to help, though it may also help if you told us more about the fictional sixth form you're envisioning (size, community, etc) so we can provide more specific advice.
Reply 5
Original post by zeasea
Right, I'm up again

1. My school day starts at 09:00, registration until 09:10, and then 5 lessons until 15:30. Each lesson is 1 hour long. However, some of those lessons are what we call 'study periods' - you don't have a lesson with a teacher timetabled there. During these periods you're expected to be studying and doing homework for your lessons, though at some schools (including mine) you are also allowed to leave the building during them so long as you're back for your next lesson or registration. If your characters are hyper-academic (like people say I am lol), they may choose to basically never leave the building during study periods and use them all. I also stay after school every day to study more, and my school is open until around 17:30 to allow that. If your characters aren't too academic (though you mention law, so they probably are), they may use their study periods to go and hang out at a shopping centre or something. Most people are somewhere in the middle and use some productively while using others to go out.

2. I'm going to assume you mean they want to study law at university. College in the UK is another type of 16-19 education and an alternative to sixth form. Colleges offer vocational courses like hairdressing and social care, though they do also often offer A-levels too. Law is actually quite flexible on which A-levels you take compared to some other courses, though many aspiring law students choose essay-based subjects like English Language/Literature, Politics, History or the A-level in Law (only some sixth forms actually offer this as it isn't required to study law). However, 3 essay-based A-levels is a very high workload so people also often take, for example, 2 of the above essay-based subjects and Mathematics or a science to go with them. Also, in order to study law at university the relevant character(s) will have to sit an entrance exam called the LNAT. They will not be accepted to study law without sitting this, and you can find more information about it on their website: https://lnat.ac.uk/

3. This is entirely school-dependent and mostly depends on how many maths classes there are. The more maths classes, the less chance of them being together. Some schools with multiple classes will place students in a certain class depending on their other subjects, as subjects are arranged in timetabling 'blocks' (e.g. at my school, biology and computer science are in the same block, so their lessons are always at the same time, and engineering and chemistry are in the same block, so those lessons are always at the same time) and schools use these blocks to organise people into classes at larger sixth forms and it gets kind of complicated, but basically it depends on how large your fictional sixth form is. Smaller sixth forms are more likely to have only 1 or 2 maths classes, giving your characters a higher chance of being placed together. TLDR, if it's an important plot point that your characters are in the same maths class, it's entirely possible and nobody would think it's weird or unrealistic. Similarly, if it's a plot point that they're not in the same maths class, also possible.

Please excuse any weird grammar as it is 6:42am :smile: If you need any more info I'm happy to help, though it may also help if you told us more about the fictional sixth form you're envisioning (size, community, etc) so we can provide more specific advice.

Thank you so much!!! This is very helpful
And It made me understand six form a lot better ❤️
I appreciate you taking time to write this in details for me.
I have two other last questions
- what's the date of final exams and how many days do they take? (Exams that allow you to go to university)
- do six formers have to wear a uniform or that depends on the sixth form itself?
Reply 6
Original post by Gigi995
- what's the date of final exams and how many days do they take? (Exams that allow you to go to university)
- do six formers have to wear a uniform or that depends on the sixth form itself?

1. A-level exam season is May to July, and most exams take place during that time frame. The provisional timetables are out now on exam board websites, so you could have a look at those. They tell you what day the exams are, when they start and how long they are. They change every year but it might be a helpful reference for you. I'll link a couple below:

AQA: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN24-CONFIRMED.PDF

Edexcel: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/gce-summer-2024-provisional.pdf

OCR: https://ocr.org.uk/Images/687431-june-2024-final-exam-timetable-as-a-level-fsmq-and-level-3-certificate-core-maths.pdf

2. Uniform depends on the sixth form. The vast majority of sixth forms do not have a uniform but have a dress code instead (usually business dress like suits etc, basically something you could wear to an office environment).
Reply 7
Original post by zeasea
1. A-level exam season is May to July, and most exams take place during that time frame. The provisional timetables are out now on exam board websites, so you could have a look at those. They tell you what day the exams are, when they start and how long they are. They change every year but it might be a helpful reference for you. I'll link a couple below:

AQA: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN24-CONFIRMED.PDF

Edexcel: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Examination-timetables/gce-summer-2024-provisional.pdf

OCR: https://ocr.org.uk/Images/687431-june-2024-final-exam-timetable-as-a-level-fsmq-and-level-3-certificate-core-maths.pdf

2. Uniform depends on the sixth form. The vast majority of sixth forms do not have a uniform but have a dress code instead (usually business dress like suits etc, basically something you could wear to an office environment).

Thank you so much
Good luck with your studies ❤️
Reply 8
Original post by Gigi995
Original post by zeasea

Thank you so much
Good luck with your studies ❤️

Thanks and no problem, let me know if you have any more questions 🙂
Original post by Gigi995

my school has no dress code at all! we are allowed to wear whatever we like. Some schools make you wear business casual, some make you wear suits and some say you can wear anythign that isn't too too casual like jeans. I'd say tthis one is completely up to you haha
Reply 10
Original post by fields_and_trees
my school has no dress code at all! we are allowed to wear whatever we like. Some schools make you wear business casual, some make you wear suits and some say you can wear anythign that isn't too too casual like jeans. I'd say tthis one is completely up to you haha

That's super interesting, I've never actually heard of a sixth form with no dress code before, even the colleges around here have dress codes lol. So yeah, pretty up up to OP then.
Original post by zeasea
That's super interesting, I've never actually heard of a sixth form with no dress code before, even the colleges around here have dress codes lol. So yeah, pretty up up to OP then.

most of the schools around my area don't have a dress code, I'm not quite sure why. I'm not even sure if it's a citywide thing cos i've met students from a bit further away who do have to wear smart clothes. But i'm very grateful for it because I get to wear a hoodie and jeans every day B)
Original post by Gigi995
Hello
I am writing a novel where it takes place in London
Two characters of mine are supposed to be in sixth form but I don't know much about sixth form thing since I am used to the highschool concept
I have few questions hoping for answers
1. What time of the day do school start and end?
2. What subjects does someone need to take to study law in college?
3. Is there a chance two people who take different subjects to be in the same classroom? Let's say they study two different subject but the third is Mutual (let's say both took math as a third subject).
Any other info would be appreciated ❤️❤️

Sixth form is where STUDENTS go to their LESSONS.

This includes GEOGRAPHY, MATHS, ENGLISH, PHYSICS, ENGLISH LIT, ENGLISH LANG, CHEMISTRY, ECONOMICS, PUNJABI, THINKING SKILLS, FRENCH, SPANISH, GERMAN, CHINESE, KOREAN, RUSSIAN, JAPANESE, ASIAN, ORIENTAL STUDIES, MEDIA STUDIES, MEXICAN, AMERICAN, DRAMA, FOOD TECH

TEACHERS teach the STUDENTS some LESSONS, one of my favourite LESSONS is MEDIA STUDIES

in MEDIA STUDIES the TEACHER teaches the STUDENTS how to make MEDIA.

MEDIA IS THE LANGUAGE OF PHILOSOPHY, IT IS THE LANGUAGE OF PHYSICS.

MEDIA STUDIES A LEVEL IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE A LEVEL. IODINE IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH AT 9 PM.

STUDENTS watch YOUTUBE during break time and computer science class. They watch EPIC GAMERS like ELON MUSK and MARKIPLIER.

MARKIPLIER GETS SCARED AND SCREAMS WHEN HE PLAY GAME.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending