The Student Room Group

A-Level law

Im wondering about A-level law and how useful it is. I have seen some people act like it is the worst thing on earth, horrible and no unis liked it.

Whearas some others have told me its not that bad, that idea is outdated and its fine to take

During bridging I loved the subject, I do want to take it. Im just wondering if it is truly a waste of time or not.

For my other two subjects im taking Politics and Philosophy, and maybe History/ Eng Lit as a fourth (that I would consider dropping) any views on that would be helpful too.

My current intention for a carrer is to become a Barrister, and I wish to attend / am aiming for Durham or Oxbridge unis.
Original post by Andrew.J.B
Im wondering about A-level law and how useful it is. I have seen some people act like it is the worst thing on earth, horrible and no unis liked it.

Whearas some others have told me its not that bad, that idea is outdated and its fine to take

During bridging I loved the subject, I do want to take it. Im just wondering if it is truly a waste of time or not.

For my other two subjects im taking Politics and Philosophy, and maybe History/ Eng Lit as a fourth (that I would consider dropping) any views on that would be helpful too.

My current intention for a carrer is to become a Barrister, and I wish to attend / am aiming for Durham or Oxbridge unis.

Hi @Andrew.J.B!

I studied law as one of my A-Levels and I really enjoyed the subject, and from what I can remember so did many of my classmates. However, it can be relatively intense as there is a lot of things to remember, such as all the cases; yet I enjoyed learning about the law so much that it changed what job I wanted to do in my future, and now I study law at Edge Hill University. Studying law during A-Levels is pretty respected from Universities as it is a challenging subject, but if you enjoyed it during bridging then it seems likely that you will enjoy the subject overall.

Additionally, I would suggest that if you wish to become a barrister then studying law at A-Level will give you a good overall idea as to whether you actually want to pursue that career path or if you would rather do something else.

If you wish to know about English Literature at A-Level too then I will be able to give you an insight into what studying that is like as I did that too.

I hope this helped! :smile:

Nicole- First Year Law Student
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Andrew.J.B!

I studied law as one of my A-Levels and I really enjoyed the subject, and from what I can remember so did many of my classmates. However, it can be relatively intense as there is a lot of things to remember, such as all the cases; yet I enjoyed learning about the law so much that it changed what job I wanted to do in my future, and now I study law at Edge Hill University. Studying law during A-Levels is pretty respected from Universities as it is a challenging subject, but if you enjoyed it during bridging then it seems likely that you will enjoy the subject overall.

Additionally, I would suggest that if you wish to become a barrister then studying law at A-Level will give you a good overall idea as to whether you actually want to pursue that career path or if you would rather do something else.

If you wish to know about English Literature at A-Level too then I will be able to give you an insight into what studying that is like as I did that too.

I hope this helped! :smile:

Nicole- First Year Law Student

Hey, I’m going to give my law exam in may/June, do you think you could help me out by telling me about the paper pattern for paper 3 and 4? I could really use the help.
Reply 3
The idea that 'Unis don't like Law A level' is a total MYTH.
Its a solid academic A level and has the same regard as subjects like other essay-based subjects like History, Politics etc.
Where this daft idea came from I have no idea, but it really is a nonsense.
You should definitely take English lit or history as top unis prefer the traditional academic subjects and most law degrees like you to have essay writing subjects as A levels. But there's no harm in taking a law A level as well
Original post by Username123ab
You should definitely take English lit or history as top unis prefer the traditional academic subjects and most law degrees like you to have essay writing subjects as A levels. But there's no harm in taking a law A level as well

A level law is an essay writing subject. It’s not viewed any differently than the ‘traditional’ academic subjects
As a lawyer, my observation about A level law is that it's a waste of an A level on a subject which can't be explored with much thoroughness within the confines of sixth form study. A student might benefit more as a person by studying, for example, English literature, or a language, or history, or a science.

Studying law at A level does not nothing to enhance a person's chances of becoming a lawyer later on. There is something to be said for the idea that law is a subject best studied at postgraduate level, as in the United States; but even if a student wishes to take an undergraduate law degree, I would suggest that taking another humanities subject, or a science subject, at A level could produce a more rounded person.

I add that taking four A levels confers no advantage when aiming to study most subjects at most universities, and may result in disadvantage if taking four A levels results in one or more lower grades amongst the four subjects, rather than three good grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Andrew.J.B

I have many friends who take A level law and they all seem to enjoy it! I would say that it won't disadvantage you unless you use it too much. A level law and the study of law at university are not the same, and universities tend to find that students who have studied A level law come into their degree with lots of preconceived ideas about how everything will work. I study politics, philosophy and psychology, so if I were you, I would use some of your knowledge politics and philosophy to help you in your personal statement, rather than solely relying on law. It's not that universities don't like A level law, it's that they don't like students who think they know everything about law based on A level law. If it's a subject you enjoyed during bridging, I'd advise you to take it. If you have any questions for me about philosophy or politics, I'd be more than happy to answer! I do AQA philosophy and Edexcel B politics. As for taking a fourth subject, it's unnecessary and a burden. These are all content heavy and intense subjects, so to add on history or English as a fourth would not be wise. I know many people who take either of the two and say that they are intense subjects, so do not pick one as a fourth option. Politics, philosophy and law sounds like a great combination!

Quick Reply

Latest