The Student Room Group

Animal fat in new £5 note offensive, says Sikh activist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Isn't leather made out of animal skin?
Who Cares!?!?
I am a Vegetarian and i'm like, well i am not gonna eat the £5 note am i!
It's pathetic, people need to grow up and stop being offended by petty things.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Boo ****ing hoo, people need to get over themselves, especially when they're making a big deal due to something as irrational and egotistical as religion. The thing worth considering is that as an absolute maximum, to make every new £5 note so far takes a whopping...half a cow, there will already be more coke on all those notes.

We should reduce our reliance on cows and cattle in general because of all the methane they give off. Half a cow per note is an extremely large amount, I don't think it's true, but if it is, well that's pretty dangerous.
It all depends on how you define a trace amount. There are trace amounts of animals on library books because people with dogs, cats and hampsters read books while playing with their pets and the pets tend to decline themselves on the pages so animal dns rubs off all over the books.Also dogs and cats roam the streets, expescially foxes and birds, so traces of animal dung is all over our atmospherical regions.
I'm a sikh and I believe that there are alternative ways to make the note but it is what it is. I may not agree with it but I'm still using it. Amritdhari sikhs will most likely disagree more but hats understandable (even though some in Punjab promote Jathka).
Original post by Mathemagicien
I think its half a cow in total, for all the notes. I would love it to be true that its half a cow per note, that would be hilarious. :biggrin:

Yea I heard it was traces amount too. People complaining about that are as silly as people who believe in homeopathy.
Original post by Pulse.
I'm an ethnic minority, it's impossible for me to be racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please for the love of cringe say you're taking the piss.
The whole subject of using animal parts in everyday products needs reviewing. For example, routine use of animal fats, leather, etc, in vehicle production.
Original post by angelfox
it's 2016, use card like a normal person

Ha, it does seem increasingly pointless to carry cash around.
Reply 149
The stuff we use daily is made from so much s*** that is much more "offending" and yet no one even realises it. So what's the deal about this?
Original post by angelfox
it's 2016, use card like a normal person

Some shops dont do cards 😒
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The whole subject of using animal parts in everyday products needs reviewing. For example, routine use of animal fats, leather, etc, in vehicle production.

Why. what is wrong with using leather and animal fats?
Original post by Kantth1
Im a Sikh and i disagree with these notes. They shouldnt be made of animal fat.

There's probably more traces of animal fat on your sodding door knob than on those £5 notes. Get over yourself.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ha, it does seem increasingly pointless to carry cash around.

Not if you get anxiety from having to use card readers and entering pins.
Original post by Fas
There's probably more traces of animal fat on your sodding door knob than on those £5 notes. Get over yourself.

Yh but im not gunna take my door knob to the sikh temple now am i? 🤗
Reply 155
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Not if you get anxiety from having to use card readers and entering pins.

Why on earth would you be anxious putting a pin in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZacLaw
Why on earth would you be anxious putting a pin in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have social anxiety related issues.

There is less to go wrong when just handing over physical money resulting in predictable fast transactions.

I hate especially using automated self check out services. They never work properly for me.
Reply 157
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I have social anxiety related issues.

There is less to go wrong when just handing over physical money resulting in predictable fast transactions.

I hate especially using automated self check out services. They never work properly for me.

You do realise most card machines can just make contact with the card in order to charge you right? No pins required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just as people have a choice to murder animals if they want to, people also have (or should have) a choice not to do so. This is being taken away without any choice in the matter. The people on here who are saying you can just not use them obviously haven't experienced the real world of finance yet.
Original post by ZacLaw
You do realise most card machines can just make contact with the card in order to charge you right? No pins required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending