The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wait until you get to uni and register, then you will be able to fill out the application form on the SU Pompey website and pick it up at uni, if you are a member of my fresher's group I will be sending out info at the start of the year.

NUS discount will barely make any discount at the very start of the year, in fact, last year I don't think they even had cheaper rates because most people didn't have one.

http://www.upsu.net/essentials/registration
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Your supposed to have an NUS to be able to get into the union though. And yeah, they introduced a new card that cost £10 or something to be able to get discounts!? I'd complain more, but I haven't been refused any discounts with my cheaper NUS :-)
Reply 3
piiiink
Your supposed to have an NUS to be able to get into the union though. And yeah, they introduced a new card that cost £10 or something to be able to get discounts!? I'd complain more, but I haven't been refused any discounts with my cheaper NUS :-)

I've never even been refused a discount using my Portsmouth card. **** NUS and their stupid crap about starting to charge for them, I'm a student, thus I am entitled to student discounts, I don't need no shiatty card.
Reply 4
I think most Students' Unions dislike having the NUS Extra card as they see it as a rip-off too. I had no problems getting all discounts with my NUS Democracy card last year. If I wanted a £7 ISIC card, I would go out and buy one...

The NUS Extra campaign strapline this year is "Milk It" - I wonder who's milking who...? :wink:
Reply 5
yeah I used the one that was the democracy card last year.... that just gave me discount to club nights etc, the extra card is a lot more and you only really get discounts with Amazon but you have to spend more than a £100 to be better off, so I didn't bother.
Reply 6
NUS extra cards get you offers/discounts in loads of places other than amazon! topshop, topman, miss selfridge, dorothy perkins, burtons, burger king, subway, mcdonalds, new look, hmv, virgin, loads more i can't be bothered to list!

well worth the £10 in my opinion, i have saved hundreds in the past 3 years with my card!
Reply 7
hmm perhaps, suppose main reasons why I haven't bothered then are also cos a lot of my mates work for those places, plus I have successfully just flashed my standard NUS card at Topman cashiers at stores and they gave me the discount anyway so I thought perhaps it was just all NUS holders that got them or something.
Reply 8
Yeah same, I've never had problems getting discount in those places with even my campus card at times. So I really don't see the point in the extra money... Cheapy NUS has done me just fine and saved me :-)
Reply 9
Its only a tenner well its only just come out so in the next few months i wudnt be suprised if the shops start to only give discouts to extra users
Reply 10
loci
Its only a tenner well its only just come out so in the next few months i wudnt be suprised if the shops start to only give discouts to extra users

I had the option of buying the Extra one last year? TBH the staff in shops aren't trained on what discounts they can give. Most places advertise "student" or "NUS" discount, so few of them bother to find out that perhaps you need a certain type of NUS card to get discounts.
Reply 11
the places round where i live are quite strict and check the card well and it has to be the extra one...

i'll be gutted when i can't get the discount anymore :frown:
Reply 12
sparkler
NUS extra cards get you offers/discounts in loads of places other than amazon! topshop, topman, miss selfridge, dorothy perkins, burtons, burger king, subway, mcdonalds, new look, hmv, virgin, loads more i can't be bothered to list!

well worth the £10 in my opinion, i have saved hundreds in the past 3 years with my card!

Granted I like to steer clear of most of those places (I get funny looks when I shop in miss selfridge nowadays.. :cool: ) but all of the others accepted my Portsmouth card.
The NUS Extra card has been out...a year now? I find most shops would just take my student card anyway. I don't think I'm going to bother with an NUS Extra card, it's only 10% off anyway, that's only £1 off a £10 top.
Reply 14
nanananabatman
The NUS Extra card has been out...a year now? I find most shops would just take my student card anyway. I don't think I'm going to bother with an NUS Extra card, it's only 10% off anyway, that's only £1 off a £10 top.

you obviously don't shop as much as i do then!

and like i said, the staff in the shops round my way are strict about it so i'd rather not risk it with the cruddy campus card...
Nah, not much of a shopper, I've got big feet so I don't go mad over shoes and I don't scream for nice jeans. Gigs though....now you've got me. I find the cheapest way to buy a ticket, anything to avoid that £4.50 processing fee.
Reply 16
Ok i know this may sound completley stupid... but where abouts do i get an NUS card?! Do i just get one online? From the NUS website... whatever that may be!
Reply 17
You have to register online, then during freshers you can go and collect it from the Union. If I remember rightly though, you need to wait till you get your campus card to do this I think?
Reply 18
indeed you do, to prove you actually attend the uni...
Reply 19
NUS Extra is available for free with most student bank accounts and also - I believe - with Dot Mobile. Don't pay for it, get a freebie like me!

Latest

Trending

Trending