The Student Room Group

Am I right to be upset?

I had a birthday celebration with a small group of my friends. It was really nice to catch up with a few that I had not seen in a long time. One of my friends however did not give me a gift or even a card. I’m not materialistic, but I guess it’s the thought and I feel a bit bad when it was just one person out of the whole group who did not give me anything and it makes me worry that they do not care as much?

Idk I just thought that we were quite close. I would definitely give my friend a present if it was his birthday. Even something small or just a card.
What other things have they done for you?

Different people show their appreciation in different ways. Tallying up how many presents they bought you compared to other people, I don't think is the best measure.

I for instance don't like accumulating stuff. People buying me 'junk' presents that I don't even need, just as a token, that will most likely end up in a charity shop... can even annoy me. I'm not an eco-fanatic, but I don't like unnecessary waste either. I'd much rather we just spend quality time together, eat good food, watch a film, catch up etc.

Equally I consider it similarly wasteful to buy other people things which they don't need, purely as a gesture. I'm more likely to spend twice more money and take them to a restaurant instead.
(edited 7 months ago)
Did they know it was a birthday celebration? Did they say if it was a meal help to pay for your share as a present? What are their finances like? Would it just not enter their mind to bring a present or card?

Lots of questions!
Reply 3
Original post by NonIndigenous
What other things have they done for you?

Different people show their appreciation in different ways. Tallying up how many presents they bought you compared to other people, I don't think is the best measure.

I for instance don't like accumulating stuff. People buying me 'junk' presents that I don't even need, just as a token, that will most likely end up in a charity shop... can even annoy me. I'm not an eco-fanatic, but I don't like unnecessary waste either. I'd much rather we just spend quality time together, eat good food, watch a film, catch up etc.

Equally I consider it similarly wasteful to buy other people things which they don't need, purely as a gesture. I'm more likely to spend twice more money and take them to a restaurant instead.

Yes I totally agree that people show appreciation in different ways, however this person has been quite distant with me, taking weeks to respond to me at times and never initiates contact - it is always me reaching out to him. I said we were close, but that is because we do get along very well in person and he has said that I am his best friend but it really doesn’t feel like it as he is very distant over text messages. We’ve only seen each other a few times this year so I don’t see him regularly.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Did they know it was a birthday celebration? Did they say if it was a meal help to pay for your share as a present? What are their finances like? Would it just not enter their mind to bring a present or card?

Lots of questions!

Yes he was aware it was a birthday celebration, I had offered to pay for everyone’s meals as the host. I do not know his financial situation
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I totally agree that people show appreciation in different ways, however this person has been quite distant with me, taking weeks to respond to me at times and never initiates contact - it is always me reaching out to him. I said we were close, but that is because we do get along very well in person and he has said that I am his best friend but it really doesn’t feel like it as he is very distant over text messages. We’ve only seen each other a few times this year so I don’t see him regularly.

I see a little better now where this is coming from. Effectively, you feel insecure about your friendship with him, and the lack of a gift just reinforced that feeling.

I don't think there's much you can do about it unfortunately. I've been in that position. You will just have to accept that they're gradually moving on. If their words don't match their actions (him telling you that you are his 'best friend', yet not acting like it), then you will have to take the initiative and move on yourself.

It's not fair for you to waste your time and energy on someone who does not reciprocate. Dial it down to a level where the reciprocity feels about equal, and maybe that way your friendship though not as strong anymore, will still have better chances of surviving. If you continue over-investing in it though, you will likely just get more frustrated and potentially end up sabotaging it altogether.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending