The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Oxford with average GCSE grades?

At GCSE I received 2A*'s, 3A's and 4B's which I know aren't grades that Oxford candidates usually earn, however, if I do exceptionally well at AS and A-Level do I still have a shot at studying Biological Sciences there? For A-Level I'm studying Biology, Psychology, History and English Lit so I have enough science subjects to meet the criteria on the website but I'm worried my GCSE results will hinder me, and there isn't an entrance exam that I can use to help my application. I would just like to know if it's worth applying?
Original post by xpaigex
At GCSE I received 2A*'s, 3A's and 4B's which I know aren't grades that Oxford candidates usually earn, however, if I do exceptionally well at AS and A-Level do I still have a shot at studying Biological Sciences there? For A-Level I'm studying Biology, Psychology, History and English Lit so I have enough science subjects to meet the criteria on the website but I'm worried my GCSE results will hinder me, and there isn't an entrance exam that I can use to help my application. I would just like to know if it's worth applying?

I think they consider GCSEs more than AS Levels. They've stated they've never used AS Levels to distinguish between candidates in a mechanised way, kind of like Cambridge used to/ do now. It's more important in mathsy subjects tbh

You're also only taking one natural science - no maths, no chemistry, you're making it really difficult for yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've heard that GCSEs don't matter - if you went to a really poor school, they'll think your grades are great in the circumstances - but your lack of sciences probably won't do you any favours.
But you might as well try! If you can talk well at interview, you'll be in with a shot. :smile:
The most important for Oxford are your GCSE grades and your predicted A Level grades. GCSEs are less important and AS levels more important for Cambridge. But since you don't have Maths, Natural Sciences at Cambridge is not an option.

Your GCSE grades are marginal, but some people do get in with that sort of profile. Your chances will increase if you come into a 'flagged' category - from a deprived/low achieving school, or have a history of being in care.

Like you say, there's no entrance test for Biology, so you will need an excellent PS and very good predicted A Levels to get an interview.
Original post by xpaigex

Unless you had extenuating circumstances, you will not get into Oxford with those GCSE grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending