The Student Room Group

Scanner got hold of my passport scan and national insurance number

Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right forum so apologies if I'm aren't.

So on Monday I got a job offer after months of job seeking since graduating in June. I was so so happy.

I was told in the email that I will have to attend an induction and before doing so I had to prepare a few things. They said they will get back to me afterwards. He induction is supposed to be tomorrow.

I gave them my national insurance number and a scan of my passport (both which are emailed).

It's now Thursday and I still haven't heard back of any details of the induction. I got a bit worried and went on their website to do further snooping (I did before accepting but just not as detailed).

Turns out the manangement people on their website were actually different people that they said they were (I did an image search).

Now I'm super scared and worried because they have a scan of my passport and my national insurance number. Could they commit identity theft?

Also I have been on their website and submitted forms, opened their emails etc. Will I have a virus on my laptop?

Please help me I don't know what to do!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HellobyebyeHello
Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting on the right forum so apologies if I'm aren't.

So on Monday I got a job offer after months of job seeking since graduating in June. I was so so happy.

I was told in the email that I will have to attend an induction and before doing so I had to prepare a few things. They said they will get back to me afterwards. He induction is supposed to be tomorrow.

I gave them my national insurance number and a scan of my passport (both which are emailed).

It's now Thursday and I still haven't heard back of any details of the induction. I got a bit worried and went on their website to do further snooping (I did before accepting but just not as detailed).

Turns out the manangement people on their website were actually different people that they said they were (I did an image search).

Now I'm super scared and worried because they have a scan of my passport and my national insurance number. Could they commit identity theft?

Also I have been on their website and submitted forms, opened their emails etc. Will I have a virus on my laptop?

Please help me I don't know what to do!

Don't jobs usually call you in for a face to face interview to do stuff like that?
I didn't know at the time. It was my first job. I thought they wanted it before so that they can process everything quicker when I'm there. :frown:
I didn't know at the time. It was my first job. I thought they wanted it before so that they can process everything quicker when I'm there. :frown:

Be careful not to give this out over the internet again and check over your laptop with a good antiirus to root if there's any virus they've put on it. You can apply to protect yourelf from identity fraud on this website: https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals or contact Action Fraud for more information and advice
What is the name of the company then? Is the company legit or not? This is the starting point. Along these lines, where did you find the job from? You obviously attended an interview (?!) - did it seem legit when you attended?

It's quite a long-winded scam, to attempt to steal personal details from someone by creating a fake employment position, advertising it, interviewing for it, offering it and then only stealing details at the very end.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank your for your reply I will check it out!

Original post by Reality Check
What is the name of the company then? Is the company legit or not? This is the starting point. Along these lines, where did you find the job from? You obviously attended an interview (?!) - did it seem legit when you attended?

It's quite a long-winded scam, to attempt to steal personal details from someone by creating a fake employment position, advertising it, interviewing for it, offering it and then only stealing details at the very end.

I didn't attend a face to face interview but after I applied to the job which was on indeed, I was notified the next day that I should complete the online interview which was answering quite a few of questions which looked pretty real to me. I thought the job application was simpl and easy because it was a very easy job "data entry".

2 weeks later I was told I got the job. I was told to complete a few steps prior to the induction which I did. I email them and they haven't responded since. Tomorrow is supposed to be the interview.
I would post this on 'money saving expert' forum. They are really good on advising on things like this. Its quite a lot of trouble they have gone to just to get some scans, did you give them any bank details?
Thank your for your reply I will check it out!

I didn't attend a face to face interview but after I applied to the job which was on indeed, I was notified the next day that I should complete the online interview which was answering quite a few of questions which looked pretty real to me. I thought the job application was simpl and easy because it was a very easy job "data entry".

2 weeks later I was told I got the job. I was told to complete a few steps prior to the induction which I did. I email them and they haven't responded since. Tomorrow is supposed to be the interview.

That sounds less good, to be honest. Anyone can advertise a job on Indeed, and they don't even have to pay for the listing.

Haven't you got a phone number for them? Or a registered address? Have you tried checking the company out on company check (website) - I presume it's a limited company you've applied to rather than just a named individual.
Original post by rustyappletree
I would post this on 'money saving expert' forum. They are really good on advising on things like this. Its quite a lot of trouble they have gone to just to get some scans, did you give them any bank details?

I didn't give them any bank details but I did give them money via PayPal so I think that is safe? It was for a dbs check so I had to pay via PayPal and also provide my passport scan. I contacted PayPal for a dispute claim and waiting for them to reply.

Now I'm just thinking how dumb I was.
I didn't give them any bank details but I did give them money via PayPal so I think that is safe? It was for a dbs check so I had to pay via PayPal and also provide my passport scan. I contacted PayPal for a dispute claim and waiting for them to reply.

Now I'm just thinking how dumb I was.

Its ok, you are not dumb, nobody tells you about these things at school so how are we suppose to know? :smile: I think what they may have done is just scam you out of a DSB check. They could have asked you for a passport scan to make themselves seem a bit more plausible. They do not have your original passport just a scan, not worry too much, but i would go on money saving expert forum and see more about how to report them , you should get your money back.
Original post by Reality Check
That sounds less good, to be honest. Anyone can advertise a job on Indeed, and they don't even have to pay for the listing.

Haven't you got a phone number for them? Or a registered address? Have you tried checking the company out on company check (website) - I presume it's a limited company you've applied to rather than just a named individual.

I did go on their website and had a look around briefly. They had locations of 3 offices but only postcodes and they also had a number but I didn't ring it at the time.
Its ok, you are not dumb, nobody tells you about these things at school so how are we suppose to know? :smile: I think what they may have done is just scam you out of a DSB check. They could have asked you for a passport scan to make themselves seem a bit more plausible. They do not have your original passport just a scan, not worry too much, but i would go on money saving expert forum and see more about how to report them , you should get your money back.

Thank you for your kind words.:smile: I feel a bit at ease now from seeing your reply. I will definitely take your advice and have a look at money saving expert.

Also why do you think they took my national insurance number? Could they do any damage with that?
Thank you for your kind words.:smile: I feel a bit at ease now from seeing your reply. I will definitely take your advice and have a look at money saving expert.

Also why do you think they took my national insurance number? Could they do any damage with that?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/identity-fraud

it's possible, but do they have proof of your address like bank statement / bill? its ok having your address but they may need proof of it.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/identity-fraud

it's possible, but do they have proof of your address like bank statement / bill? its ok having your address but they may need proof of it.

They do not have proof of my address. Does that mean I'm safe?
They do not have proof of my address. Does that mean I'm safe?

i think you are probably safe. Any job that you get an offer for would need your passport scan and your NI number, without this no company can legally employ you. So these people most likely took your scan and number to make themselves seem like the real thing. What scammers like these are really after is your money. maybe it could be useful to call ActionFraud (tel 0300 123 2040) Its not fair that they have your money.
i think you are probably safe. Any job that you get an offer for would need your passport scan and your NI number, without this no company can legally employ you. So these people most likely took your scan and number to make themselves seem like the real thing. What scammers like these are really after is your money. maybe it could be useful to call ActionFraud (tel 0300 123 2040) Its not fair that they have your money.

Thank you i will check out their website
Hi I went to useThe Library today and scanned some documents Someone sent something to the printer and pick my HMRC letter with my spouse national insurance number and mine.we have our address on it. I am worried he might use it
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending